Wow!

Shri

Reaction score
I came across this article on fetal psychology today and thought it was fascinating so i thought I would share it here
https://www.leaderu.com/orgs/tul/psychtoday9809.html

That's really interesting, thanks!

That's pretty interesting but I'm a little dubious about a couple of things. First the licking the uterus thing, how? They're in a sac! Second this statement : Als is more emphatic. "My bet is that poking, shaking, or otherwise deliberately stimulating the fetus might alter its developmental sequence, and anything that affects the development of the brain comes at a cost." Then goes on to say 'gentle talking' will be ok though. I'm sorry but no mother has ever done so little during her pregnancy that could count as not poking, shaking or whatever. I find it hard to believe that the successful development of a baby's brain is governed by a silent stimulus free world. It's also counter-intuitive after what they've said earlier in the article about the neural development. I would be more inclined to think that additional stimulation will help accustom the baby to the outside world before it is born.

Ugh! I can't see it - work have blocked the site!!!:hissy:

Is it about what babies are up to in the womb? I was wondering that just this morning!

Is it a lot of reading? Is it too big to copy and paste?

(or could someone email it to me please!)

thanks!!! very interesting and food for thought!

That's pretty interesting but I'm a little dubious about a couple of things. First the licking the uterus thing, how? They're in a sac! Second this statement : Als is more emphatic. "My bet is that poking, shaking, or otherwise deliberately stimulating the fetus might alter its developmental sequence, and anything that affects the development of the brain comes at a cost." Then goes on to say 'gentle talking' will be ok though. I'm sorry but no mother has ever done so little during her pregnancy that could count as not poking, shaking or whatever. I find it hard to believe that the successful development of a baby's brain is governed by a silent stimulus free world. It's also counter-intuitive after what they've said earlier in the article about the neural development. I would be more inclined to think that additional stimulation will help accustom the baby to the outside world before it is born.

I thought this too - on both those topics and a couple of other things that seemed inconsistent. I think the licking the uterus thing is balony. Because I don't think new borns can lick (at least not like older kids or cats can) - they may make all sorts of shapes and stuff with their tongues and mouths but it is highly improbable that they lick things the way we would lick a lolly pop. Besides, they are inside the sac, as peanutbean says. Also I don't think lots of deliberate interaction with the baby while it is in utero can do anything to influence things really. It is just nice for parents to bond and natural for us to sing/poke at/jiggle/dance/and talk to baby. But there were other things that I thought was quite fascinating - mostly about how they move about and sleep most of the time and have rems. I've always wondered what a baby in utero might dream about. I like to think they dream about magical stuff that only they know.

I suppose they would dream of sounds and feelings. When you think about our dreams, they tend to be about stuff we have seen and heard, and a babies brain, although alot more imature is just like ours so id amagine it would dream in the same way.

Interesting read.

Yeah I found a lot of the stuff interesting. I was surprised that it said they sleep about 90% of the time at 32 weeks. Mine hardly ever stops moving so must be dreaming a jiggling about a lot. Must be dreaming about kicking Mummy...

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting!
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"