WTT 12/10...when to stop taking pill.......

beenwaiting

Reaction score
Hello All
This is my first post here........so HELLO
Well.....at long last my BF has agreed to start trying for a baby(but not unit the end of the year 12/2010). I have been taking the pop (Cerazette) for just over a year. I have read loads about gilrs not getting there period back for 6-9months after stopping.........should I stop taking it now....and use something different unit the end of the year....?
Thanks in advance! xxx

Yes stop as soon as possible i would say... you maybe lucky and your cycle will just go back to normal quickly but to be safe i think te longer you give it the better. We will be starting to ttc in Nov abd i came off it in Jan my cycle is now back to normal but only really happened this past 2 months or so.
Another reason is you want to make sure it is completely out of your system before getting pregnant... i was told by a Dr friend it takes about 6 months for that to happen!!:wacko:

Good luck with trying!!!:flower:

And hello... welcome to the site!!!!! :hugs:

:howdy:
There's also other school of thought that says don't come off until the time you actually want to become pregnant! I was advised to do this by the nurse and I know other people who have been told the same by their doctor/nurse... For a few months after you come off the pill your fertility will be very high (and then can drop quite low for a year or more) so you've a higher chance of getting pregnant within the first few months after stopping BCP. I personally will only be coming off the pill at the end of July and will start trying pretty much straight away... There's no way I'm missing that period of high fertility. There are no side effects/problems with becoming pregnant straight after being on the pill so it makes sense to me to do it that way!
But hey, there's two ways of looking at it, so it's entirely up to you which route you go down!!!

I was told by my gyno to stop taking them a few months before so your period can be regular again. I just came off mine and we are back to using condoms for BC until we TTC this fall. I didn't want to stop taking them right before we TTC because then I wont really know when I'm ovulating and I wont know when I would have missed a period and it would have made me more paranoid. I am hormonal enough right now going off the pill!

Caroline and I are of the same school of thought. I come off mine in a week and will be trying right this cycle. I was told it was better this way and I'm going to run with that thought. I want all the extra help I can get.

Probably good advice to stop now. Glad you chucked them. Just be careful if you don't want to get pregnant yet. I stopped my pill and got pregnant the next month. I was thrilled, but hadn't expected it to happen that fast.

thanks for the advice......done.......in the bin already.......!!!

in case you really did put it in the garbage; Please don't put meds in the bin! Bring it to a local pharmacist or doctor and they wil dispose of it safely!!

:howdy:
There's also other school of thought that says don't come off until the time you actually want to become pregnant! I was advised to do this by the nurse and I know other people who have been told the same by their doctor/nurse... For a few months after you come off the pill your fertility will be very high (and then can drop quite low for a year or more) so you've a higher chance of getting pregnant within the first few months after stopping BCP. I personally will only be coming off the pill at the end of July and will start trying pretty much straight away... There's no way I'm missing that period of high fertility. There are no side effects/problems with becoming pregnant straight after being on the pill so it makes sense to me to do it that way!
But hey, there's two ways of looking at it, so it's entirely up to you which route you go down!!!

There is no such thing as higher fertility after coming off the birthcontrol pill. It is actually MORE likely for your fertility to be lower immediately following discontinuation of the pill. According to a 2002 study "57.9% of all first cycles after discontinuing oral contraceptives were ovulatory. " (Gynecological Endocrinology in 2002, Gnoth)
I would say that unless there are other factors involved that mean a return of fertility after BCP and then diminished fertility because of other reasons, there is no high fertility period after BCP. Although the BCP stops working immediately when you stop taking it your body may take a little while to 'reboot' so to say which is why it may take some girls a few months to ovulate again. Some others fall pregnant right away..,

I agree with you on top though, if you really cannot become pregnant immediately don't risk stopping with BCP. Although... it should be said that BCP is not 100% effective against pregnancy either... really the only foolproof method of avoiding pregnancy is abstinence. (But hey who wants that! :winkwink:)

:coffee:
I think the truth is that there have been numerous studies that have come to differing conclusions about fertility after coming off the pill. I think it's a bit extreme to say that there's no such thing as high fertility after coming off the pill, as some studies have in fact concluded that this is the case, just as some have results showing a short delay in gaining full fertility and others demonstrate no differences in fertility (e.g. university of Pennsylvania 2009). It is clearly an area where no one view is yet fully 'accepted'.

“Women used to be advised to wait three months after coming off the pill before trying to conceive, but research now indicates that this is not necessary and that, in fact, the body is more fertile immediatelty after stopping the pill, because that is the time when there’s a big hormonal push” (Zita West, fertility expert)

“Some research even suggests that, rather than harming your fertility, taking the pill could even boost it". (A study carried out as part of the ALSPAC study by researchers from Brunel and Bristol universities)

I think we need to accept that the results are inconclusive on this issue and it's up to the indiidual which way they choose to go about coming off the pill... but we can't rule out the research in any 'direction' :shrug:

Welcome to bnb and wtt! :)
I was going to say just stop now, but you've already done that so yay :)
Hope your cycles are quick to get back to normal xxxx

I think the truth is that there have been numerous studies that have come to differing conclusions about fertility after coming off the pill. I think it's a bit extreme to say that there's no such thing as high fertility after coming off the pill, as some studies have in fact concluded that this is the case, just as some have results showing a short delay in gaining full fertility and others demonstrate no differences in fertility (e.g. university of Pennsylvania 2009). It is clearly an area where no one view is yet fully 'accepted'.

“Women used to be advised to wait three months after coming off the pill before trying to conceive, but research now indicates that this is not necessary and that, in fact, the body is more fertile immediatelty after stopping the pill, because that is the time when there’s a big hormonal push” (Zita West, fertility expert)

“Some research even suggests that, rather than harming your fertility, taking the pill could even boost it". (A study carried out as part of the ALSPAC study by researchers from Brunel and Bristol universities)

I think we need to accept that the results are inconclusive on this issue and it's up to the indiidual which way they choose to go about coming off the pill... but we can't rule out the research in any 'direction' :shrug:

I'm going with my doctor and the studies that say it could help to come right off and get pregnant. Doesn't hurt to use that little bit of time to stay on since it could work in your favor in the end. I'd much rather do it this way then wait however long it would take for my cycles to regulate themselves.

Fair enough, you know the main reason I responded like that is that there are some hmmm really STOOPID people out there. So nothing against you or anything... I just would not want someone to read that and think 'Oh I'm really fertile after the pill so the odds of becoming pg are significantly higher' because well, that may not be true. Like you said, conclusions goes both ways. :thumbup: Hormones are funny things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->