WTT and giving blood?

AmeliePoulain

Mama to 3 girls
Reaction score
Just a quick question that crossed my mind earlier...

I got my letter through today about giving blood and without thinking about it I was going to arrange an appointment.

I had a thought though, I know that after giving blood it takes a while for your iron levels to go back up. Does anyone have any idea as to whether it affects your reserves of anything else?

I have been taking prenatal vits and folic acid for quite a while now and I would hate to undo all of my good work with less than 3 months to go before TTC (closer to 2 months actually on the date that the session would be). Equally I don't want to not give blood if there is no good reason for me not to donate!

Any ideas?

Hi hun!! I am going to be honest and say I have no idea! I don't think it would take too long... :blush:

I found this on googles... "As an example, on average a normal, healthy individual who donates a
unit of blood (about 450 ml or ¾ pint) will fully recuperate from the
blood loss in four to six weeks."

Hi hun!! I am going to be honest and say I have no idea! I don't think it would take too long... :blush:

I found this on googles... "As an example, on average a normal, healthy individual who donates a
unit of blood (about 450 ml or ¾ pint) will fully recuperate from the
blood loss in four to six weeks."

I can only find stuff on how long it takes to get the volume back too :wacko: I was only a bit concerned because I know it takes a while to replace the iron...

I found this on blood service website...

So why wait 16 weeks between whole blood donations? Well, unlike white cells and platelets, it takes several weeks for all the red cells to be replaced. There’s an important link between your red cells and your health because it’s these cells, or rather the red-coloured haemoglobin they contain, that take oxygen around your body. Haemoglobin contains iron and some is lost with each blood donation. To compensate, iron is mobilised from the body's iron stores, and the body also increases the amount of iron it absorbs from food and drink. Any iron deficiency can result in reduced haemoglobin levels, and eventually, if not treated, in iron deficiency anaemia. This deficiency can make you feel tired, which is why, as well as asking you to wait 16 weeks to donate whole blood, we also test your haemoglobin levels every time you give. We make sure that your haemoglobin level is above 125g/l for women and135g/l for men.

I am going to carry on nosying around the website...see if I can find anything else :flower:

Ooooooo so to compensate just pop loads of iron pills :D

Ooooooo so to compensate just pop loads of iron pills :D

Hehehe...that might help! I have never been asked when I have been before if I am trying to get pregnant or anything - they just ask if there is any chance that you are :wacko: Nothing to suggest that it is a bad idea on Google (the source of all knowledge) so I guess I will go along and maybe just check it with the nurse who takes the little drop of the blood at the beginning :flower:

You can always ask the nurses there, I'm sure they'd be very happy to help. When I thought I was pregnant but had arranged to give blood they were very understanding and said it was better to be safe than sorry so I would personally think maybe it's the same? Good luck x

Damn you Amelie and your bloody questions (scooze the pun :haha:), I had a dream last night I went to give blood but they culdn't use my normal arm so the guy took blood from the other arm and the vein was really far in so he pretty much stabbed me with the needle to get the blood.. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->