WWYD - holiday of a lifetime might be cancelled

supertabby

Reaction score
My husband and I are due to go on holiday to New York in 5 days time, his parents are babysitting. It's somewhere that's been top of my list to visit for as long as I can remember, and we originally were going to go for our honeymoon 7 years ago but had to put it off when my employer went bust. So this has been a big deal for us.

In the last few days my husband's grandad has passed away and my husband has developed a severe back pain (he can't stand up straight and barely able to walk).

Initially we thought we'd have to cancel because of his Grandad's passing, but his parents have said they'll still babysit. However if my husband's back doesn't improve there's no way he could go - he couldn't walk around even a small amount and it's a holiday that involves pretty much constant walking around.

My husband has suggested I take someone else (no chance I'd find anyone to go at that notice) or go alone - assuming he can't make it. But I can't imagine going alone or with someone else. We don't have insurance (I thought he'd booked this but the horse has bolted so no point getting upset about it) so can't get any money back, we'd just lose it.

What would you do?

PS I think I sound as though I'm being callous about my husband's grandad dying, I'm really cut up about this also and it's certainly a major thought on our minds right now - I'm just trying to ask about the holiday bit iykwim. I'm also appreciative of the fact that there are a lot worse problems in the world, I'll be gutted if this holiday doesn't work out but I also am lucky to have my little family and my friends, it's just a holiday really.

Oh no!! Has your husband seen anyone about his back? If he hasn't already I'd get him to a chiropractor asap and see if they can help him. I really hope you both get to go!

P.S, I'm sorry for your loss. I don't think you sound callous, when someone passes it reminds us how important it is to live life to the fullest, I'm sure your husbands grandfather would want you guys to share this adventure.

Sorry for your loss. I also agree about seeing someone for his back! Or if not could he get some serious pain killers/ muscle relaxants to help him through?

He should see someone for his back asap, try the gp first and then perhaps try talking to the holiday company, not to cancel but sometimes for a small-ish fee you can change the date. I'm very sorry to hear of your dh's grandfather passing away :hugs:

Oh no, have you tried rearranging the dates to see if it can be done? (With fees I'm sure) or could you try to sell the holiday at a bit of a reduced rate so you have some money left over to re-book? (I saw someone do this to a holiday over summer, it was a £50 fee per name change) is there definitely nothing to be done with the back?? It wouldn't bother me to holiday alone perse, but I would miss my husband being there so would rather try to rearrange.

I couldn't go on my own. I would defiantly try and rearrange for a small fee hun.

Sorry about your husbands grandad.

xxx

I'm sorry about your husbands grandad dying :hugs:

I'd try get your husband to see someone asap, there must be something that can help.

If it was a choice between lose the holiday or go alone I'd go alone. I think it would be a massive shame to lose all that money when you don't know if/when you'd be able to go xx

Firstly I would get him to get his back looked at. He might be okay to go if he can get it sorted?

Failing that I would look to take someone else, I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be up for a trip to new York!

As a last resort I would try and pay a fee to have the holiday moved to a different date?

Hope you managed to get something sorted? Sorry for your loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->