"yeah, she's still REALLY struggling"

DonnaBallona

newlyweds!
Reaction score
these are the words my daughters teacher used to describe her this afternoon..... Brooke is being given 1-1 support and still is not picking anything up from school.

Brooke struggles to count to 10, cannot count objects in front of her, she cannot concentrate (always been an issue!!!!), she cannot name a single day of the week-even when prompted she thinks the word 'seven' written down was a day of the week :dohh:, Brooke is struggling to remember words, can't recognise them written down regardless of how many times we go over the bloody things. Even sounding out words she just doesn't get it!!!!!! (eg sounding out F-O-X, what does it spell? Brooke; "Cat!")

Brooke is REALLY struggling. I don't know how to help her. I (embarrassingly) get frustrated with her because she forgets things so often. They've raised concerns now and I'm starting to really worry about her.

Brooke was premature , born at 32 weeks. I haven't mentioned it before but now wondering if I should? and she's been doing this 'thing' now where she slaps her forehead when she's trying to remember something whilst correcting herself. She drifts off into her own little world whilst people are talking to her and her eyes shake violently from side to side too.

I'm so confused, worried etc etc etc.

anyone got any insight on how I can help her? x

If i were in your shoes hun i would take her to the gp and ask the school to write out their concerns to see if you can get her an assessment. Even if all you do is rule out thing, at least you're working to help her as much as you can. Hugs xxx

Awww bless her cant be easy on you or her. Are you still under the health visitor? If so i would give them a ring and get them to do an assesment. I had to get this done for my 3 year old. I had them refer her for an hearing test aswell. Might be worth and ask least you can start to elliminate things or work on getting the help she may need.x

I won't repeat what is already mentioned- but it can't hurt to just rule things out hun. No matter what, it can't be fun for her to struggle or you. It's totally possible she is just more easily distracted and when she get's frustrated she shuts down (thinking wise)- my SD did this often when she was younger. She was 10yrs and get so frustrated with math I could literally ask her what 2+2 was and she'd yell "I don't know- 8?!"... that is how I knew she needed a break!

With my SD- it came down to the way she learned and how the school taught did not line up well at all. Some kids just need more 1:1, while others need to learn slowly or be challenged more so they don't get bored and drift off.

It could be something so simple-- just figuring out what that something is. Best of luck! :hugs:

It wouldn't hurt to speak to your gp and raise your concerns. It couple actually be as simple as the fact she is not really ready to be in school. My son started school 1 month after his 4th birthday and he has always struggled - he is slightly behind the national expectation for his age so they aren't overly concerned at the moment. Back in reception he really really struggled - he seemed to be on wordless books for so long.
We found that the more you pushed him the worse he was - he still is like that really.
Some children really just aren't ready at 4/5 to be at school and they just need encouragement.

I would speak to your daughters teacher and see what they want you to do to help. They shouldn't be saying 'she's really struggling' without then going through a plan to help her out.

The hitting her head will be because she's frustrated and she doesn't know how else to express it - i wouldn't be overly concerned about that.

IRO being premature - if she has been pretty much on target with her other milestones it's unlikely that her being premature is having an effect on her learning. Generally speaking children who are born premature without any further complications have caught up within 1 - 2 years anyway.

I still don't think it'd hurt to speak to the gp but i would say that's it's more likely that she is being expected to learn too much too soon and she isn't ready for it.

Hi. I'd echo others and go to see the GP. They may be able to point you in the direction of support. Is your ticker correct (ie is your LO just 5?). If so, she's still young and so certain things you've mentioned I wouldn't be hugely concerned with - e.g sounding out f-o-x and saying cat. She just might not have grasped that yet and she won't be alone in that one.

Having said that, if you're concerned, definitely ask for help. If she needs support, the earlier she receives it the better. Talk to school - does she have an individual education plan (IEP?). What are her specific targets and what extra support does the school provide? These are all pertinent questions to ask.

I hope things improve soon x

yes i agree, go to the GP. also ask to speak to the school SENCO (special educational needs co ordinator), that person is often depty head in primaries, get an appoint with them and rasie your concerns as THEY SHOULD be assessing also.

It could be something like a hearing loss and yoru child cannot hear the sounds enough to sound them out herself, it could be something like autism (which often displays differently in girls), it could be that she is just a little delayed, and may well catch up in her own time, but ulimatley its best to rule anything out ASAP as the sooner she gets help the better.

Im not saying there is anything wrong, she may jsut be easily distracted, but best find out.

she is only 5 the teachers shoulkd get a grip. Here formal school only stasrts at 6 or if child isnt ready at 6 they start at 7 year old. Kids cant be forced to be ready and it would be a shame to push them towards it so early, because it may take the fun out of it early.

Have you had her hearing and sight checked? I read the other day that 1 in 4 children have an undiagnosed sight problem that can affect their learning so it's worth ruling out. Specsavers and I'm sure all the other opticians do (free on the NHS) sight tests that don't require being able to read, aimed at young children.

I wouldn't worry too much otherwise. Five is pretty young to be expecting children to be able to read, it's pretty well documented in research that it's better to wait until 6 or 7. My daughter is about the same age as yours and suddenly a couple of weeks ago, sounding out phonics suddenly 'clicked'. Before that, I could 'F. O. X... F-O-X... FOX' at her all I liked and she still wouldn't have had a clue!

It's worth getting her seen by the GP/HV if you're worried but I wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

Is she interested in learning if it involves play? Or is she just super distracted all the time? Im very interested to see how everything works out for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->