year old waking at 6-any ideas how to stop this?

OK......I'm a really late sleeper and so my baby has had to learn to the same way....and I don't know if this will work for you or not because there might be a genetic component, who knows. (Maybe sleeping late runs in the genes!)

But way back when, I just tried to teach her that if she wakes up, she should play with her toys in her crib until mama's up. I keep all kinds of her favorites on the table where she can reach them.

And she's quite happy to do this, now that she has the hang of it.

So .... usually, she wakes up at 9, and plays in her crib until about 9:45, when I wake up. When I come out of my room, I can hear her teddy bears "talking to each other" and her little cars saying "vroom". And then when I open the door, she says, "Hiya mama!" and we start our day.

Might be a good trick to try and teach him! You can't really make him sleep when he's not tired. But maybe can teach him to play until you get up?

i was reading that a toddler (12-18 months ish) needs 11 1/4 (quarter) hours a night and 2-2.5 hours during the day approx. So Id be happy if Maggie goes to bed 7am and wakes at 6am!!

She seems to think anything between 5am and 6am is a good time to wake at the moment after frequent night wakings more recently!!

What I want to know is when do they start waking later?? what age roughly.. im sooo tired

6am is a long lie in this house, morgan seems to hate sleep she is still awake just now and its 9:10pm and looks like she will be up for at least an hour then she will be up 2 or 3 times in the night and morning is usually 5am
to the above poster 11 1/4hours really wow morgan has 7-8hours at night and if im lucky 30minutes during the day

Molly's wake up time varies, it can be anywhere between 5.30 and 8am. I would say it's 6.30 most mornings.

Fast forward 10 odd years and we'll be moaning that they never get out of bed!!!

I have friends who would kill for a 6am wake up, one LO has her mum up at 4.30am regulary! Ellis likes his sleep but varies from 6.30 until 8.30 and when he lays in we are usually awake before him lol!!!l we never have a late night past 10pm unless we are out and he's staying with our parents, it's all part of parenthood.

We've just had to get used to the 6am wakings! Now that LO is in his own bed he just comes into us and plays at our feet for 15 mins until we are properly awake. The only time he really wants downstairs is if he is hungry and wants brekkie NOW!!

Ethan wakes 6 to half 6 - 7 on occasion but that works for us.

I find the less sleep he has the earlier he wakes - so if he wakes early it means he hasn't had enough sleep in the day. Most people find/seem to think that the key is to keep babies up so they sleep better but that certainly isn't the case for us. So, maybe try to encourage more sleep in the day, even if it means going out for a walk, just to see if that extra hours nap makes a difference, or do something like go swimming so that he's extra tired and needs an extra nap.

That's all i have :) Worth a try x

Keeping them up def does not work! Over the Easter break we kept LO up a bit later so we could do more things together. He coped well with going to bed later but he never slept any later than normal - in fact, he got up earlier more regularly!!

Another thing that DOES NOT WORK - is tiring them out excessively 'so they sleep longer'. We were making poor Ruby so overtired :( (it was all activities she enjoyed, but too much!)

I love it when people say 'oh just keep them up later', like I wouldn't have already thought of that one haha.

Keeping Charlie up later just makes him mega grumpy! I had the 6am wakings (and the 5's and the 4's :wacko:) for a while but now it's 7-7.30 and thats fine cos we need to get up at that time for nursery/work anyway. He woke up at 5 this morning but came in beside me and then slept till 9.10 :shock: I was in heaven :haha: and he was back in bed for 7.30 this evening with a 1.5 hour nap this afternoon. I think some toddlers are just early risers. My cousins LO sleeps till 9am every morning (from 8pm) but doesn't have a nap any more - she's 2 :flower:

Sorry if you've already answered this but how much does LO nap in the day? I found that Lucas was using the morning nap as a sort of extension of night time sleep so pushed the nap to 945 and shortened it to 15-20 mins then gave him a long sleep about 1pm. This pushed his wake up to 6.15/30 then when he was used to a short morning nap I stopped giving it to him.

I'd do lunch about 11am then bed about 1145am and let him sleep to about 2.15pm. Now he has one long nap at 12.30 of no more than 2.5hrs and he wakes up at 6.45am most days and at the weekend we've even managed a couple of 7.45am wake ups!

Would something like that work for you? Xx

I think thats pretty normal. Jessica goes to sleep at 6.30-7pm and wakes at 6am every day. Ive tried putting her to bed earlier, later, reducing naps in the day, but nothing works. Its just her routine and has been for about 5 months, so I doubt its gonna change!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->