Yorkhil picu

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
I know this is preemie and nicu but I thought my post would fit in here better than anywhere else

My little boy is currently in yorkhil picu (paediatric intensive care unit) in Glasgow. On Sunday he stopped breathing at home and once at hospital had repeated episodes and was rushed to theatre and put on a ventilator. We were transferred to yorkhil as our local hospital didn't have facilities to look after a tubed baby. He has rsv and bronchialitus. This has been the scariest week of my life!

When he was first born at 36+5 he was in nicu then we got home at three days old.. Had 9 days at home and then this all happened. He's now 16 days old and in the picu.

When I left tonight he was on 35% oxygen, peep pressure 22 over 6. They are hopefully going to be weaning it down a bit more tonight and then again in the morning and then hopefully he's coming off the ventilator later in the day!! I can't wait to see his little face and be able to hold him again. I honestly thought we had lost him on Sunday so am extatic to be at this point. He'll be moving to either cpap or high flow nasal canula.

I've been coping ok being away from my husband and other children during this. But I'm worried that shock will set in at a later point. Has anyone else had that happen?

I just typed out a long reply and my 20 month old hit the back button on my phone.

How is your LO? If you need to chat you can pm me. Our babies were due at the same time and my girl was also premature and was starved of oxygen so spent time on a ventilator, oxygen...everything really. I'm near Yorkhill and understand the difficulties with juggling a baby in hospital with ones at home.

Laura x

No experience but wanted to send hugs and prayers your way.

I'm really sorry you're going through this.

My 35 weeker had this at 10 weeks when he was a mere 6lbs in weight. It totally floored him. He wasn't intubated but had optiflow for a week and lots of other xomplications that were dealt with as they arose.

He was in PHDU for 10 days all told. Scary times esp when they said they would be putting more lines in him in case they need to get access to him quickly. It's v scary watching your baby struggling to breathe. After 5 days they are over te worst touch wood.

Hope you've got lots of support there. I lived at the hospital and didn't mind sleeping in the chair next to my son!

My daughter spent a lot of time in PICU at yorkhill. Its really scary but they are amzing in there. We were there about a month after open heart surgery and some respiratory surgery. She later had bronciolitis 9 times and had RSV too. it sucks it really does but you are definitly in the best place. x

Thank you so much ladies! We're still in picu but doing better. He came off the ventilator 8 days ago and was put on a normal nasal canula but didn't cope so went onto high flow. By morning he was on cpap and has been on it ever since. We had a point last week where the intubation trolley was kept by his bed space because they thought he'd have to go back on but by the skin of this teeth he's avoided it! He's had a collapse of the right upper lung and it's got a lot of consolidation on it so we're waiting for that to resolve. He got a bacterial infection which he managed to fight thankfully with the help of three different anti biotics. He's still rsv positive which means he's still getting more fluid build up in his lungs. But since last night he's been sat on 25% oxygen so depending on his X-ray tomorrow and how he's doing they might be taking him off Cpap

Iv found most of the staff amazing apart from one or two. I do most of rohans care now unless it's something with medication. He even got have a proper bath today as his canula came out last night a they're not replacing it unless they have to! It's amazing not having any needles sticking in him now since back wen he first started his yorkhil journey he had a line in each hand, each leg and a central line in his groin.

I'm so glad though that we finally getting better. As lovely as it is being able to stay in the Ronald McDonald house I can't wait to get back closer to home and be able to sped time with my older boys.

Oh and he's also gained a little weight and is now 6lb 5oz!

Forgot to update in here. Rohan finally came off cpap early last week and went into high flow. He came off that on Thursday and we were transferred back to our local hospital on Friday. He finally came off oxygen yesterday. X

Aw that's good news. Any idea how long before you can take him home?

Delighted to hear things are going in the right direction!
He'll be home with you before you know it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->