You know you're in trouble when...

EstelSeren

Married Mum of 2!
Reaction score
...writing your CV makes you feel worthless to local employers.

I know how difficult it was for my fiance to get a job with years of working for the same company, tons of voluntary work and academic qualifications. I have a list of academic qualifications as long as your arm but no worthwhile work experience. My last job lasted 2 weeks in summer 2007 and I was told that I wasn't cut out for waiting tables (which seriously limits my choice of jobs where I live). Almost every job in the area I live asks for experience, usually just as desirable but most of the unemployed people in my area have some experience so I'm automatically at a disadvantage. The best thing I have to go on really is 2 years as vice president of the university archery club, including a couple of months where I had to act as president, but for most of those 2 years I didn't really have to do an awful lot except for being abused (verbally, via email, etc) by the president. I'm just writing and thinking "If I were them, I wouldn't employ me." which I know is exactly the wrong attitude to take when applying for jobs. I'm just finding it hard to muster the enthusiasm I need to put across a good impression.

Beca :wave:

:hugs:

That opening made me chuckle ;)

It's tough getting experience though.

And it never gets any easier either, because you are always looking at moving onto the next thing.

Who'd be a grown up eh :shrug:

Is there anyway in the meantime that you could do some volunteer work? You will then have some experience on your CV.

Just a thought...it's what I had to do as I couldn't get work at all during uni.

Hope you find something soon and keep positive.

We need the money- we can only cover the rent until August- so volunteering isn't really an option atm, unfortunately. I'm just going to have to put my head down and write it I think. I can always get my DF to read it for me and he can make me sound wonderful!! I've found that other people can 'sell' me a lot better than I can myself, iykwim!! If I've had no joy by the end of the month I'll go on Jobseekers and do short term volunteer work whilst looking for a job- my DF was unemployed long enough to know the system and how I can make the most of it!! Plus I'll hopefully get something on housing benefit which'll help with the rent situation! I can't apply until the end of the month though as I'm still officially a student according to the university until June 30th!! :hissy: Ideal situation is that I get a job and don't have to go through all of that hassle, obviously!!

Beca :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"