"You'll definitely be early!" and other helpful predictions

Glitch

Mummy and expecting!
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel instantly irritated when people start making predictions? :haha:

Of course I don't mind the guesses themselves, but it drives me mad when people push them as factual. Especially when they're wrong, and then start gradually changing the prediction until they're right on something.

From right at the beginning, it was "IT'S DEFINITELY TWINS"
Gradually going on to "Ok, well if it's not twins then it's DEFINITELY A GIRL".
Repeatedly.

I also had a feeling it was a girl, but really didn't want to dwell on the thought in case I ended up favouring a girl and feeling disappointed if it wasn't. Especially OH, who was hoping for a girl - every time someone would say to him it's "definitely" a girl just from a glance at the bump, I'd be foaming at the mouth :haha: it would have broke my heart if he got his hopes up.

Turns out it is a girl.
"See, I told you!"
Yeah you also told me it was definitely twins. It's flip a coin for the gender, Mystic Meg :coffee:

Now I'm constantly hearing "oh she'll definitely be early!" "you won't go full term" etc etc
To the point that I'm now half expecting her to be early, and it drives me mad and makes the wait feel longer. I have no genuine reason to expect her to be early.

And I know full well that as soon as "early" passes and I hit full time, rather than "oh, guess i was wrong then", it'll just casually become "she'll definitely be here tomorrow" "day after" next" week" going on and on until it happens. Followed by "see I told you!"

I had it all in my first pregnancy with my son as well. Everyone was absolutely sure he'll definitely turn up by the end of the week. Oh, maybe tuesday then? If not then definitely wednesday.
All the way until he was 2 weeks late and I ended up getting induced :coffee:

The sad thing is, I know people mean well, but I have to physically force myself not to glare at them when they say it :rofl: I've tried to politely point out that I'm actually trying NOT to make predictions and would rather just ride it out, especially as DS was 2 weeks late. Only for them to go "oh no it won't be like that, you'll definitely be early this time" ](*,)

It almost makes me hope she's 2 weeks late just so they can't go "I told you so!" and think they're psychic, even though they changed their predictions a good 40 times before being right :rofl:

SO..

Does it bother other people or am I alone in this? :haha:
Had any predictions?

People always tell me I'll go early or gender, it's so annoying, I always roll my eyes when I hear about it. This is my fourth and all my last three went over my edd, I expect this one will as well. As for gender, we're going yellow again, but it never stops people from guessing and predicting. I have my own suspicions this one will be another boy but I'm not going to sweat it. Dh told someone our planned names and they were immediately telling him he would regret the choices and I was like "why would you even tell them, you know they're going to do that"...
I definitely don't like it when people have to give me their unasked for advice or opinion on any of it.

Arghhh it’s totally annoying !! Feel your frustration .

People who I have told about this pregnancy so far have said -

It’s defiantly a boy
Do you want a boy
Were you trying for a boy
Will you have more if this baby is another girl !

Makes me feel like family , will be disappointed if baby is a girl which is unfair!

Don’t even start me on people not liking name choices lol it’s just unwanted mind ya own damn business !!

Last edited:
As daft as it sounds, I half feel like people expect a thankyou when they say "I told you so", like the baby is a girl because they foresaw it :haha:
Every time I get a new prediction I half hope they're wrong just to avoid the smugness :roll: it surprises me how people don't seem to realise how irritating it is though.

I'd feel so guilty if I told someone "_____ is definitely going to happen" and then it didn't, especially if I got their hopes up :shock:

We've had fun with the naming business too.
We've gone for Alyssa. And for a good month after choosing, we'd say "we've picked out the name Alyssa" and they'd be like "oh. What about __*insert another name that isn't Alyssa*__?"
Perhaps you misheard us. HER NAME IS ALYSSA.

This is our fourth, and I was so anxious to tell people because we were done after our third, so this was a surprise baby. People look at dh like he's crazy because he's an older father having kids at his age and one person in particular at his job has been saying it'll be a boy since the beginning. I told him to just say that baby is a girl to shut him up, lol. I also feel the same about that smugness and annoyed when people feel like they're "right" when it turns out that way, like they had any bearing on it.

The worst is the end when well meaning friends/coworkers text multiple times a day asking if you’re in labor

I got told I would go early with my second but he was 11 days late.
I hate all the calls and texts at the end every single day!

I think the only version of this I've gotten so far is "you don't want/need _____ item on your registry, you need _____ item."

Any pains or twinges .... like no leave me alone lol

LOL yes, especially the "any twinges?" Pregnancy is full of twinges, leave me alone! :rofl:

I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and our city year core members who work with our school have started congratulating me on having the courage and dedication to.come to work each day. Or from co-workers I'll get "I don't know how you do it!".... Um. I'm not overdue, I'm not terminally ill, I'm not dying, I'm just pregnant hahaha.

Got another one.. don’t use any bottles or breast bump, because then baby will reject all breast feeding! (Same person ;))

My dh told me yesterday that his boss told him he needs to get the snip after this one is born... dh says it doesn't bother him, but for some reason it just grates on me like nothing else that anyone outside of our relationship has an opinion on our family plans. I said I would have commented something like "next time I need some family planning advice I know who I'll go to"... ugh

My friend added on an extra 2 weeks to her due date to stop people asking. I had another friend who would just say 'baby is due in March' and wouldn't say when.
Urgh. People will always give their opinions. I'm big and get big pretty big. I also have big babies for my size. This time we haven't found out the sex so I'm sure they'll start guessing that too. I just make it pretty clear that as long as baby is healthy I don't mind when he or she comes and what he/she weighs.
Hugs mama ❤

My friend added on an extra 2 weeks to her due date to stop people asking. I had another friend who would just say 'baby is due in March' and wouldn't say when.
Urgh. People will always give their opinions. I'm big and get big pretty big. I also have big babies for my size. This time we haven't found out the sex so I'm sure they'll start guessing that too. I just make it pretty clear that as long as baby is healthy I don't mind when he or she comes and what he/she weighs.
Hugs mama ❤

That’s smart! My baby has always measured a week ahead right from the beginning so they moved my due date up. I’m kind of regretting it now because of all the asking!

My dh told me yesterday that his boss told him he needs to get the snip after this one is born... dh says it doesn't bother him, but for some reason it just grates on me like nothing else that anyone outside of our relationship has an opinion on our family plans. I said I would have commented something like "next time I need some family planning advice I know who I'll go to"... ugh
My sister in law told my partner because we had two close in age to 'stop recklessly having children now' I was livid, because she hasnt had children yet and has a plan to have so many children, in a perfect amount of years apart. Doesn't mean it's all our plans. Now 'recklessly' expecting another one:thumbup:

Such a relatable thread...I put up with a lot of this when I was having ds1 because I was still working. Every coworker seemed to have an opinion. My "work wife" was hoping my waters would burst at work (I explained it doesn't usually go down like that and then ended up with a gushing water burst on a Saturday lol). The most annoying thing was one coworker who constantly called me "waddles". I politely asked her not to, but she ignored it...until one day I snapped and threatened to push her down a flight of stairs if she called me that one more time :blush: besides that, in my last month I swear it was every day someone walked by my desk and asked, "You're still here?" Like NO, I HAD THE BABY AND AM AT HOME AND THIS IS A HOLOGRAM.

Pregnancy 2 wasn't as bad but was full of people telling me "I bet it's a girl" because my morning sickness was worse than the first time. Nope.

And this time people were just expecting me to want a girl. Honestly at first I really just wanted another boy, but everything got to me and I started hoping for that girl...Even some people told me they'd pray it was a girl for me, without even asking what I wanted. I felt terrible, I had gotten my hooes up but also had thw fear of disappointing family and friends and especially hubby...so learning we are having another boy was completely tainted.

It really helped to find a boys name we love but we aren't widely sharing it because of people and their stupid opinions!

Also, I don't give people a specific due date. I just say January, or "late January" at best.

Woooo that felt good to get out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->