Young knitters?

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by Fenix, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Sarahkka

Sarahkka Mama to Two Fine Boys!

It's truly just practise. You need to accept a certain number of really ugly bits and pieces before you finally feel somewhat satisfied with something, I think.
    I have a whole bunch of "cat mats" - knitting disasters that wound up cozying up the kitty bed! :)

2. sammiwry

sammiwry Single mummy to Madden <3

I knit, I can only do a basic knitting stitch so only ever make scarfs but they are practical and you can never have too many scarfs :)

I went to the sewing and craft show at Alexandra Palace last week with my mum and there was a group there teaching people to knit, when we walked past there was a group of 4 girls in year 10/11 all learning to knit and keen to carry on on there coach on the way home!

3. Wannabe Mommy

Wannabe Mommy Pregnant FTM

I was just gonna say I'm a young knittter but I'm 28 too, does that make me an oldie ??:haha:

Ah well I feelyoung and have the same sense of humour as a toddler so I'm gonna call myself a young knitter :happydance:

I love knitting and recently showed my DH up royally by sitting at his band practice when he was "rocking out" with all his super cool rock/metal friends knitting up a lovely little handbag. The lead singer looked at me aghast and asked what I was doing. Not sure he was that impressed when I told him :haha:

I taught myself last year using youtube vids and a book, took a while to get my head round the abreviations but I got there in the end. If you want a nice, quick and rewarding project why not make up some mini hats for innocent smoothies, for every hat you make Age UK gets 25p.

4. FuzzyCaz

FuzzyCaz TTC#1 35+

Next time he's looking less than impressed, you can inform him that Kelley Deal, lead guitarist with The Breeders, not only knits, but she's also published a book or two on knitting!

Knitting absolutely *IS* rock & roll....and I often knit during lengthy soundchecks before gigs, and a few 'big name' singers in Ireland cherish the scarfs I've knitted for them, to keep their necks warm and to protect their voices

5. TupeloHoney

TupeloHoney Well-Known Member

I'm taking it up as a new hobby - I bought a cheap how-to book to start. It looks fun, it's productive. I'm looking forward to busting it out today, actually.

6. leigh5tom

leigh5tom Mum to two :)

Love this thread! I'm 20 and taught myself to knit using books and things at about 13, and loved it ever since! Now doing the last sleeve of a cable-knit cardigan, and almost finished a fluffy blanket :') love knitting & am currently trying to decide on my next project! xxxxx

7. Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur Well-Known Member

I really want to learn how to knit and crotchet. To the how to books actually help?

8. tiggertea

tiggertea Mum of Two

I can't comment on books as my mum taught me the basics when I was little, but since getting more adventurous, I've found you tube invaluable for learning new techniques/stitches etc. AND it's free! :thumbup:

9. leigh5tom

leigh5tom Mum to two :)

I managed to teach myself using books, and YouTube to crochet; try a mix of both :) xxx

10. I Love Lucy

I Love Lucy DS and DD

My future MIL tried to teach me how to knit or crochet (I don't remember which), I didn't enjoy it very much though. I plan to try again though.

11. YoungNImum

YoungNImum Mum to 2 and expecting

You tube is a really good teacher x

12. pinklizzy

pinklizzy Mummy to two little bears

I would agree with that, I've just taught myself to crochet using youtube after trying to get the hang of it for years! :happydance:

13. Sarahkka

I learned a ton from books. My mum taught me garter stitch and gave me a copy of Stitch 'n' Bitch by Debbie Stoller - hilarious and very very helpful!
    I also found a beginner's class at my local yarn shop and wound up taking classes there for a few years - it was so fun and such a great way to learn.

14. Sarahkka

Oh! And I just found out about a new online craft class site called Craftsy. I don't know much about it yet, but I think (?) it's affiliated with Etsy...?
    Coud be another one to check out.

15. tiggertea

tiggertea Mum of Two

Craftsy is a lovely place. Haven't taken any classes with them yet, but it's an interesting concept!

16. numum

numum Well-Known Member

Hurray I love knitting those am 28 also I'm really not ready to say I'm old yet so yes I am a young knitter! I love Debbie bliss patterns and the stitch and bitch books. Knitting my lord some gorgeous cabled legalrmers ATM :)

Eta haaaaaaaaa that is a classic auto correct sentence I mean lo and legwarmers :rofl:

17. CS2012

CS2012 Pregnant

I just turned 30 this month I have been knitting for around two years and crocheting for five.