Young knitters?

Fenix

Reaction score
Hey ladies!
I was just wondering if there are any young knitters here and what do you think about preconceptions of knitting?
I'm 20 and love to knit, it's so peaceful and fills in those bored gaps for me =]
I really struggle to find others like me who knit, though and so I go it alone!
=]

I do!
I love to crochet and then this xmas i started knitting and i made myself a real nice and warm scarf. that's the only thing i've done so far, since i'm very busy, but i am planning on going to some stitch 'n' bitch that some pubs here have

maybe there's some knitting cafe/stitch n bitch in your area as well? (i assume it's young folks there but who knows :D )

I'd love to be able to knit, but dont really know what I'm doing. Just subscribed to that art of knitting magazine thats out so will hopefully get the hang of it.
I find people are surprised if you tell them youi can sew lol.

My nan taught me when I was really young! I'd go sit with her in her bungalow, the lights down, staring at the TV and just knitknitknit! Haha
I stopped for years and now I'm really slow =/
Aubreee, what on this Earth is a Stitch 'n' Bitch xD That does sound brilliant and if there isn't one in my area I'm going to see about getting one started haha!
CookieLucyLou, I bought that magazine too and looks pretty good although you don't get a lot of wool there for the price of the magazine! I recommend going around charity shops and picking up wool, Wilkinsons does really nice cheap wool in a massive variety of colours!! Also try YouTube because there are some awesome tutorial videos on there =]
At the moment I'm just knitting a massive shawl for my LO but I keep messing up the pattern! I take it on the bus and everything haha! Such a geek =P

Ooooh! I found a website on the Stitch and Bitch and there is one in my area! Haha! Gonna check it out soon =] Will let you know!

Fenix - one of the things I loved most about knitting socially was that it was so inter-generational. I don't usually hang out with my grandma's generation, but my knitting group has several older women and they are awesome! I love talking politics and childrearing and all that suff with them as they knit. It's great!

I agree, Sarahkka! I have a good giggle with the ladies at my local wool shop all the time.
I wish my Nan was still around though, it would be good to be able to chat to her.
There is a stigma about knitting though! Not many younger people do it anymore and it's become a bit of a dying art! Although it's coming back into fashion, knitwear and being able to knit so hopefully more younger people will get back involved.

I think it's the opposite here in North America. There has been a real renaissance of needle arts in the last 5-6 years - particularly amongst the young and hip set! :)

I knit! Im 20 too! So far iv only made a nappy soaker and im in the process of knitting my LO a pullover/gilet...Il be knitting all her 18m dresses because then we will be in winter!.... Just need to find some decent patterns :thumbup:

I knit but I'm quite old at 28! I go to a knitting club once a month and it's lovely to sit and chat with everyone-young and old :haha:

I want to learn and my MIL says shes going to teach me soon, just got to find the time. :thumbup:

I can knit but only the basic stitch I dont know how to pearl or anything like that so ive never attempted to make anything :shrug:

I can knit but only the basic stitch I dont know how to pearl or anything like that so ive never attempted to make anything :shrug:

You can make things in garter stitch which is just knit stitches but this is a good video to learn the purl stitch if you wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAMD_XpybQY

Thanks I was going to try and make a scarf but I couldnt decipher the pattern :dohh:

My mum has shown me how to Crochet its amazing and alot easier than it looks x

Am an older knitter at 33 years old..... my mum & nan taught me when i was much younger about 8yrs old and then never bothered for years. Until last year when i found out i was pregnant i knitted some blankets to get me back into the swing of it all. I then went on to make a few jumpers and have just made a hat, scarf & mittens for LO.
Google & Youtube videos have been a lifesaver for anything i didnt know.

I'm 26 and hubby calls my knitting bag my "Granny Kit". :rolleyes:

Thank you! She sure does... I'm dreading the teenage years already! :haha:

i'm 23, my mom taught me how to knit but all i know how to do is knit and pearl. So far i made a washcloth that is awful looking....i wish i knew how to knit better because i see so many cute patterns for knit hats.

"Planet Purl" on youtube is great for learning things beyond the basic knit and purl. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->