Your childrens statistics

HV are a hopeless bunch. My last conversation with mine was 3 years ago.

I wouldn't give a young child diet products either. Because if they take fat out what are they replacing it with?

I wouldn't think it would make much difference to the car seat especially using a 1,2,3. The only reason it came into my head is DS is small and still is stage 1. He is about 15.5kg and 101cm so a little growing room. I have often thought he has to be much stronger than a 15kg 3 year old.

Haven't weighed Maria in ages as the scales have run out of batteries but she was bang on the 50th percentile for both height and weight at her 5 year check up.

With young children, you can tell if they're a healthy weight if you can see their ribs - that's normal (once they're past the toddler belly stage). If you can't see their ribs, even when coughing or stretching, then I'd be concerned about weight.

I have no idea about bmi. At their 2 year check up my kids were all under the 25th percentile for everything apart from their head. :haha:

DS:
Height: 32 and 1/4 inch (5-10th percentile)
Weight: 23 pounds (<5th percentile)
Head: 19 and 1/2 inches (75th percentile)

DD:
Height: 31 and 1/2 inch (5th percentile)
Weight: 24 pounds (10-25 percentile)
Head: 19 and 1/4 inches (75-90th percentile)

DD2:
Height: 30 and 1/4 inches (<5th percentile)
Weight: 20 pounds (<5th percentile)
Head: 18 and 1/2 inches (25-50th percentile)

the percentiles dont take into account they were preemies but I had one doctor who was quite concerned when he read their weights while every other doctor says they were fine. They have all followed the same curve since birth (they were born at 33w6d)

Haven't weighed Maria in ages as the scales have run out of batteries but she was bang on the 50th percentile for both height and weight at her 5 year check up.

With young children, you can tell if they're a healthy weight if you can see their ribs - that's normal (once they're past the toddler belly stage). If you can't see their ribs, even when coughing or stretching, then I'd be concerned about weight.

wow, I didn't know that about their ribs. I've had people say my three are too skinny because you can see their ribs.

wow, I didn't know that about their ribs. I've had people say my three are too skinny because you can see their ribs.

Nope, not skinny, just normal for children! That's why people don't recognise when their children are overweight - they don't realise what a healthy weight for a child is supposed to look like (i.e. not the same as an adult)

Natsku is correct, if you can't see ribs at all your child is likely overweight. As everyone gets fatter peoples' perception of what a healthy weight looks like has become skewed and parents are not recognising when their kids are carrying more weight than is healthy.

I took a picture of Jake this morning and he is no way obese. I found this link and according to this my son's weight is off the chart (24.1 kg and he's 4 years 1 month).

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/child-healt...-growth-chart-resources-2-18-years/school-age

I was worried about the new change in the car seat laws as Jake outgrew the group 2 as he was very uncomfortable. I am due another baby in November and it got me thinking how do I fit three car seats into the car but after reading up a child can sit between two car seats with just a seat belt. I'm thinking I might have to put my 7 year old in the group 2 car seat as he will fit but I don't like the idea of putting my 4 year old in the car with just a seat belt.

This was Jake this morning...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 22
My son was classed as very overweight. You can childrens bmi on the nhs website they start checking bmi at age 2.
What annoyed me was although it came out he is 'obese' he actually had droped from the 99th centile to the 75th centile but hadnt grown in height. Now for me that shows he isnt putting on weight and therefore how can it really be an issue?
He still has elastic band wrists though and no i cannot see any of his ribs. He eats veg, fruit, everything (he eats less than his 2 year old sister) i will get there stats tonight

Ds1 is on the 51st percentile for bmi

Height = 117cm
Weight = 47lbs

I can see his ribs and I think he looks in proportion.

Ds2 is 90th percentile for bmi
Height = 101cm
Weight = 39lbs

He is in the healthy bmi range (just) but he does look like he is carrying a little extra weight and this is something I'm trying to address. He was in the overweight bmi range a couple of months ago so moving in the right direction. We eat healthy food but my portion sizes were too large.

Your boy is gorgeous, he does carry a fair more weight than my nearly 6 year old though (on the 50th), if you're concerned hun I would speak to a dr, I read something interesting the other week about portion sizes for kids- it was much smaller than I thought it would be!

Wanabump how tall is he? In centile terms he 99.9 on weight but if he is 75+ on height I wouldn't worry.

But if he isn't I would try to cut portions (esp carbs). Truthfully I wouldn't fancy a 4yo in just a booster and seat belt either. Maybe look for a different seat and remember as of January there is a slight change in the law for booster seats kids need to be 125cm before they can be sold a booster seat. They can use one if they are already but not be sold a new one.

Tommyg why would you not worry if his height was above the 75th curve? Dominic is and he is on the 98th for weight. I would love not to worry but the NHS calculater says he is very overweight. :(

Wanabump how tall is he? In centile terms he 99.9 on weight but if he is 75+ on height I wouldn't worry.

But if he isn't I would try to cut portions (esp carbs). Truthfully I wouldn't fancy a 4yo in just a booster and seat belt either. Maybe look for a different seat and remember as of January there is a slight change in the law for booster seats kids need to be 125cm before they can be sold a booster seat. They can use one if they are already but not be sold a new one.

He's 110 cm - I will have to see if I can find a wider fit but bearing in mind that come November I will have a baby seat and a 7 year old.

Tommyg why would you not worry if his height was above the 75th curve? Dominic is and he is on the 98th for weight. I would love not to worry but the NHS calculater says he is very overweight. :(

I was wondering that as well as Jake is classed as obese...I know he is a little chunky but I certainly wouldn't say obese.

In terms of car seats I spoke to fitters when DS had to go to a booster seat as he had grown out of the 5 point harness. he said that its nothing to do with age at all - age is merely a guide to indicate to parents when they should be considering moving seats. They should always weigh them to check they are over the weight limit for selling. A small 5 year old for example could still be in a 5 point harness. Once you have reached 18kg you are safe in a high backed booster. Its not high backed booster seats which its changing its just a booster seat. At 3 year 9 months DS is as tall as a lot of 5 year olds (he is as tall as quite a few reception children (who are now Year 1) and only 2 children in the year above are taller than him. People struggle with the concept he is not starting school until September 2017 particularly as his vocabularly is up there with a 5 year old as well.

My DS is also seen on the NHS calculator as very overweight. He is not he is broad shouldered (far broader than his sister) has muscles appearing on his arms (he can hold his own body weight so has brilliant upper body strength) and you can clearly see his ribs when he stands up. He wont eat many Carbs (his diet is protein (eggs, fish, cheese) and fruit and veg with porridge and toast thrown in). Its as if even at a young age he knows what is best for his body type. He gets plenty of exercise and I suspect when he is older is going to a gym going 6ft 4 type whose BMI always sits at the high end of the scale.

That is not to say I dont think obese children exist - they do I have seen them but they look it and I think that is the key. Charlie does not look fat his body fat percentage is probably similar to a child who weighs less than him but his body is already creating muscle.

Sorry to go on but such a blanket measurement really annoys me. Obesity should be a visual thing and a diet thing rather than a statistic.

Your boy is gorgeous, he does carry a fair more weight than my nearly 6 year old though (on the 50th), if you're concerned hun I would speak to a dr, I read something interesting the other week about portion sizes for kids- it was much smaller than I thought it would be!

Thanks hun everyone says he looks like me so I'll take that :thumbup:

He is tall and he does have chunky thighs but I still wouldn't put him at obese

He's 110 cm - I will have to see if I can find a wider fit but bearing in mind that come November I will have a baby seat and a 7 year old.

In terms of car seats surely he should be in the high backed booster and the 7 year old a booster seat in the middle - its 5 years and 125 cm for the new law for them.

In terms of car seats surely he should be in the high backed booster and the 7 year old a booster seat in the middle - its 5 years and 125 cm for the new law for them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I was aware of Jake being in a high backed booster seat my concern was that he doesn't fit into them comfortably unless I can find a wider one. My other worry was fitting a high backed booster seat, a baby seat (as I am due in December) and a booster seat...I did find this:-

"No room for a third child seat in the back of the car: If it’s not possible to fit a third car seat into the back seat of the car, a child over the age of 3 can sit in the rear – in the middle, between the 2 other car seats – using only an adult seat belt."

wannabump your boy is very tall for his age so I am thinking that he is probably also at a very high % curve for height so must be in proportion. Visually Id not call your boy obese either, he looks a lot like Dominic body wise who has a bit of a belly and chunky arms and thighs. But Dominic is older and not as tall as your boy so that puts him just above the 75% height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->