Your childrens statistics

Thanks Angel that makes sense - I think its strange having my first child who is shorter for his age and slim and then Jake comes along and he seems to keep growing. I wouldn't mind but I'm only 5ft 1 and hubby is 5 ft 9 - I know hubby has family members who are over 6ft so it must be from his side as my side as more like munchkins :laugh2:

In terms of car seats surely he should be in the high backed booster and the 7 year old a booster seat in the middle - its 5 years and 125 cm for the new law for them.

Thanks - I was aware of Jake being in a high backed booster seat my concern was that he doesn't fit into them comfortably unless I can find a wider one. My other worry was fitting a high backed booster seat, a baby seat (as I am due in December) and a booster seat...I did find this:-

"No room for a third child seat in the back of the car: If it’s not possible to fit a third car seat into the back seat of the car, a child over the age of 3 can sit in the rear – in the middle, between the 2 other car seats – using only an adult seat belt."[/QUOTE]

Charlie has always been fine with a high backed booster and he has similar stats to your son. We have two wide boosters and can fit a bubblebum (and my bum in my parents car) for the times we have a third.

wannabump your boy is very tall for his age so I am thinking that he is probably also at a very high % curve for height so must be in proportion. Visually Id not call your boy obese either, he looks a lot like Dominic body wise who has a bit of a belly and chunky arms and thighs. But Dominic is older and not as tall as your boy so that puts him just above the 75% height.

See I always thought DOminic was taller as well I guess that is the difference Charlie has always been 96 and 99th (though it still makes him overweight)

DD though was 75th for weight and 50th for height at 4 she is now the slenderist thing imaginable and has put on 3lbs in 3 years

Thanks Quartz - Maybe the one I had was rubbish...I will have to take Jake with me so he can try them out.

Wanabump have I got this right, he is 24kg, 110cm and 4 years one month?

I've just pulled out my Red Book, 99.6 for weight & 98th centile for height. In my head that sounds pretty well proportioned. That is the reason why looking at kids weight in isolation is plain stupid. If you look at the height predictor assuming he stays on the 98th he will be 6ft 2. Enjoy looking down to your little boy while you can, won't be long before he is towering over you!!!!

If somebody was to look at my sons weight in isolation they might decide at 16kg 9th centile he is underweight however at 102cm tall he is actual only 2nd centile for height. So reasonably well proportioned. And another reason why looking at weight in isolation is stupid.

Wanabump have I got this right, he is 24kg, 110cm and 4 years one month?

I've just pulled out my Red Book, 99.6 for weight & 98th centile for height. In my head that sounds pretty well proportioned. That is the reason why looking at kids weight in isolation is plain stupid. If you look at the height predictor assuming he stays on the 98th he will be 6ft 2. Enjoy looking down to your little boy while you can, won't be long before he is towering over you!!!!

If somebody was to look at my sons weight in isolation they might decide at 16kg 9th centile he is underweight however at 102cm tall he is actual only 2nd centile for height. So reasonably well proportioned. And another reason why looking at weight in isolation is stupid.

Yes that's right.

Tell me about it...at this rate he will be towering over me by the age of 10! And as us Brits say I think he will be built like a brick sh!t house ��

Yip

I've just had a play about with the NHS Calculator, mine comes out at 45th centile. How the hell does that work??? But it is nonsense to say that 2 kids who are similar proportioned both slightly higher weight centile than height can be so different.

Ds1 38lb 105cm approx 25 centile for weight and 9-25 for height

Ds2 28lb 91cm (roughly!) looks like 25-50 for both height and weight

They're just having a look st the growth charts
I think both of mine look really healthy, any more fat on them and id say they'd be chubby especially the youngest

Dd is 7.7 kg at 8 months, 50th centile but she looks big imo and is making her way out of 9-12 month sleep suits. Funny as I think she's going to be like me and ds1 like his dad (I'm tall for a woman and hubby only a few inches taller than me)

https://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v56/n12/full/1601473a.html

Have a read if that link works. It is quite wordy but using the weight / height charts, if a child is 3 centile bands different in weight and height they are classed as obese.

However about half way down the article some researcher concluded (the same as I did) when short children's stats are converted using BMI & bmi charts that holds true. But when they do it with tall children it equates to one centile band difference. So really they question the use of BMI in taller kids. And at a glance they also said that it was the opposite for underweight children.

Yip

I've just had a play about with the NHS Calculator, mine comes out at 45th centile. How the hell does that work??? But it is nonsense to say that 2 kids who are similar proportioned both slightly higher weight centile than height can be so different.

It is because the range for weight is much wider than the range for height so the further up the percentiles you go the more disparate they become. If you look at the charts in the red book you will see the lines in the height chart are roughly evenly spread but in the weight chart the higher up the percentiles you go the bigger the gaps between the centile lines become. Therefore for a child on 50th percentile for height their ideal weight is probably also 50th percentile but for a child on 95th percentile their ideal weight (not allowing for body type etc) might be the 90th percentile.

OP your son does not look obese but as you say he does look a little chunky. If his diet is healthy and he is active I really would t worry too much at this point but it would be worth realigning him in six months to make sure his bmi hasn't increased.

also have your kids always been on those centiles? Mine haven't really moved much from their centile since they were born which makes me think that's their natural build

When mine was born he was 50th for both. By 6 weeks he'd dropped to 9th for everything including head.
His weight never left 9th but at some point between then at 18mths height dropped to 2nd - I keep waiting on a growth spurt lol.

Dominic has been on the same % for height and weight for at least the last 3 years. So I also think it may just be his build. Sebastian has dropped down the curve for weight quite a bit in a year (50th to 2nd) but only from 75% to 50% for height which I don't find as alarming.

We just measured Dominic as he seemed to have had a growth spurt and he did! He grew 2 cm in the last month! He is now 109cm and at 22 kg he is now on the 97th and 'only' "overweight" as opposed to "very overweight" :happydance:

We just measured Dominic as he seemed to have had a growth spurt and he did! He grew 2 cm in the last month! He is now 109cm and at 22 kg he is now on the 97th and 'only' "overweight" as opposed to "very overweight" :happydance:

He is almost exactly the same as Charlie then (in fact pretty identical!).

Charlie was born as 50th centile for both (he was 8lb4 at 41weeks) and in fact was the same as his sister. Its only when he was born he grew quickly and was at 75th for both at 6 months and 95th for both by 1 and is now the 98th!

I shall have to check in the red book what Dominic's curve is for height but I don't think he would be 98th for height.

ETA I checked and he is between the 75th and 91st.

ETA oh goodness but Sebastian has also grown and I just checked his BMI again and at 14.8kg and 105cm he is now on the 1st centile curve and officially underweight. Blast and bugger! Must get some calories in him without also giving them to Dominic. :( :cry:

Joshua is 6 years 9 months(almost)

120cm - 3ft 9 and 3st 13lb - about 55lb

Good morning all,

I have found Jake's newborn statistics:-

Length: 51 cm - above 95th percentile
Weight: 7.4lb - between 25th and 50th percentile
HC - 36.5 - above 95th percentile

So although his length has always been in the upper range, his weight hasn't always been. He was born 39 + 0.

The fact that his weight and height are now in proportion (even though its in the upper range) I'm happy!

I have just realised how little my son weighs, he is almost the same weight as some of the 5-6 year olds here :haha: My son will be 9 in October and weighs exactly 56lbs :wacko: In the past 7 years he has only gained 28lbs :wacko: although he is being assessed for ADHD so that may be why his weight gain is so little :thumbup:

Thomas is 4 years 11 months (5 on August 7th). He's around 114-116cm. Weight I'm unsure he was weighed in January and was about 17kg. I think he's about 18kg/39lbs now he's put some weight on but not much. Just checked the NHS calculator he's 5th centile which makes sense. He's quite tall and doesn't eat as much as he should.

He has a little pot belly because he has quite bad constipation but I think he looks fine. He's growing so getting what he needs :)

https://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy267/sequeena1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07-23%2014.07.16.jpg

https://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy267/sequeena1/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-07-23%2014.07.54.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->