Your experiences of spotting in 1st tri

hilslo

TTC #1
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm gate- crashing the 2nd tri board to see if any of you had long term spotting in 1st tri? I'm now 10w2d and have been spotting pink/brown orange for over 2 weeks.

I had a scan at 8w4d as I've had spotting with a previous pregnancy which turned out to be a mmc. This time I was e petting the worst but we saw a heartbeat and the sonographer seemed happy but that was nearly 2 weeks ago.

I'd really appreciate anyone answering if you have had this? If so how long did it last?

I'd also be interested if anyone has had it in previous pregnancies and it didn't turn out well. Trying to get some kind of gauge of outcomes....

Hope it all turns out ok for you. Just to throw my experience in, this is my 5th pregnancy, I have a two year old DD, and had three miscarriages. My first miscarriage was around 6 weeks and came on very suddenly with cramps and heavy bleeding, then I had my daughter, the third pregnancy turned out to be another miscarriage confirmed around 8 weeks after two weeks of mild spotting and no cramps. My fourth pregnancy turned out to be a mmc found at just over 9 weeks, with absolutely no signs anything was wrong, no pain or bleeding.
This pregnancy I have had spotting on and off since 6 weeks, and assumed the worst especially when I had a huge bright red bleed at 12 weeks, but I'm now over 15 weeks and everything has been fine at each scan, plus I have a Doppler at home now so I can check there is still a strong heartbeat. The spotting has continued but so far the baby seems fine. So I've had a real mixture of experiences and outcomes, hopefully things will all be fine for you x

With my first I spotted from 5 weeks to 10 weeks and everything turned out okay. It isn't always bad news, some women spot the entire pregnancy and end up having healthy babies.
Maybe it's just a pocket of blood?

I hope yours is nothing too.

I've had two separate experiences of ongoing spotting. My first ended up being a mmc at 11 weeks and I spotted for a few days before my body naturally miscarried.

This pregnancy I also started spotting at 9 weeks and expected the worse. It turned out to be a subchorionic hematoma. I bled (sometimes very heavily) or spotted consistently until I was 13 weeks. I've only spotted one time since 13 weeks and assume the hematoma has now reabsorbed itself fully. I'm now almost 18 weeks and had a scan last week for other reasons. Baby was very happy and healthy.

Bleeding is such a worry when pregnant. I hope yours stops soon.

I have experienced both sides of long term spotting in first tri.
My first pregnancy ended in mmc :( I started bleeding at 6 weeks and spotted for two weeks. At my 8 week appointment I was told I had a blighted ovum. A couple weeks later I started spotting again which lasted a week or two followed by heavy bleeding. This heavy bleeding was then followed by hemorrhaging (very scary). My body would NOT get rid of the tissue so I spotted and bled for two and a half months before I finally agreed to have a D&C.

This time I started spotting around the time my period was do and literally spotted a month. My doctor had me do an ultrasound almost every week in the beginning. It went away for a couple of weeks and then on Christmas night I had HEAVY bleeding. The bleeding I had Christmas night was almost getting as bad as when I started hemorrhaging and my husband took me to the ER. I was sure I lost the baby, but I was scared I would start hemorrhaging again. They did an ultrasound and baby was just fine o_0. A few days later I stopped spotting again. Then a week later I started spotting AGAIN which was because I had a low lying placenta and was put on pelvic rest. I stopped spotting after a few days and I am now 27 + 5 and have been wandering the third trimester forums. I'm having a little girl and she kicks so hard sometimes I think she is making sure that I know she's still healthy and there.

has your doctor checked your cervix for any erosion? I have this & did with DD too, causes spotting especially after lots of walking/lifting.

I also have placenta previa which can cause bleeding.

I've been spotting for around 10 weeks now and it's normal.

Thank you all so much! Looks like it could go either way. I've seen a healthy heartbeat since the spotting started so I'm just keeping everything crossed. My 12 week scan is on 26th May so still a few weeks to go but I'll let you know how things go

Thanks again - all your answers are hugely appreciated!

I ALWAYS spot during pregnancy. I miscarried once, and that time the bleeding kept getting consistently heavier. This time I had a gush of blood at 9 weeks. I thought the worst, but baby is staying strong! I recommend buying a doppler! It really helps ease the stress!! I got one called AngelSounds and I think it cost me something like 30$. Seriously worth every penny for how much it comforts me! I'm very small, but I was always able to hear the heartbeat at 9 weeks. I think it says not to try before 14 weeks, but I'm always able to find it! Sometimes it took me 10 minutes of searching though. Now I'm 14.5 weeks, and I can find the heartbeat in 30 seconds! I wish you all the best! xxx

I have also experienced both sides. My first was brown spotting which slowly got worse and turned red and I had a MMC at 12 weeks. That time, deep down once the spotting started I knew the worst had happened. Second time I had on and off brown spotting throughout first tri, it was only red once at 4+6 and after that it never went red or got worse but was pretty regular. I had 4 scans before my 12 week scan and saw a happy baby and heartbeat at each.

The fact that you have seen a heartbeat is a really good sign. I know how hard it is but try and rest as much as you can and take your mind off things when you can by watching a film or meeting friends for an evening. x

Sorry you're having bleeding, I know how concerning it is :(

I had a gush of bloody mucus at 6 weeks (like, a considerable little gush), and spotted tiny bits of pink for a week or so after that, then it stopped. Baby is just fine.

Hope you and baby are ok!

I didn't have any bleeding with this baby but I did with my second. I thought for sure I was losing him. It wasn't just spotting, it was enough to fill a pantyliner by the end of the day, and it was red. This lasted about a week during week 6-7. At 8 weeks I had an ultrasound and it showed a healthy baby with a heartbeat but no source of the bleeding. It never came back after that the rest of my pregnancy.

Thank you all for your replies. Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone reads this thread in the future.

I had my 12 week scan today (12w6d) and bubs was happy and dancing away!

My spotting lasted around 3.5 weeks and I still get a bit of yellow/orange (?) but everything seems to be going well (fingers crossed!)

Glad to see all appears to be well and baby is happily bouncing around in there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->