Your job; salary and outgoings!

toffee87

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just wanted to do a combined post for those who are expecting/already have a LO(s). What do you do for a living? do you feel having a baby stops you from being promoted or going for a job you want? If you are currently living with a partner what are your combined earnings and what roughly do you spend each month?

I'm a carer, my OH works making lasers for computers. Combined (if I work full time) we earn approx £2,000-£2,200 (OH may get a bonus).

We're currently living with OH's Mum so we can save money for a wedding, fund further studies and if we have anything left after that save towards a house.

I'm thinking of becoming an Occupational Therapist, but it means 2-4 years study and unless I do the 4 year course, a loss if income on my part.

I'm stuck in my mind really. Should I try and perservere in this career and get to management, or try and get a support worker job (more money,but similar). Or wait and see if an occupational therapy support worker job comes up (they train you up eventually to become an OT).

I just don't know!

Hi,

What do you do for a living? I'm police staff, DH is an IT contractor
Do you feel having a baby stops you from being promoted or going for a job you want? Not in the slightest. I will be looking to aim for another promotion in a couple of years.
If you are currently living with a partner what are your combined earnings? Roughly in all honesty..£75,000
What roughly do you spend each month? This is where it gets tricky..because DH is a contractor we have to make sure we have enough savings to cover him being out of work for long periods of time. So our outgoings are roughly just under £3000 (which includes mortgage and bills, phones, insurance, petrol, train/tube travel, food, car loan from my mum). We then put away the rest in to savings and shares and buy our non essentials (by this I mean the odd birthday present for people, stuff for the house) but have no debt. This will have to reduce significantly when I go back to work as I'll be part time and we'll have childcare costs to cover but we'll be budgeting.

As for your position, I probably would have to assess what is more important currently. If you need the money to cover childcare costs then I would say your career could be put on hold temporarily. There's nothing stopping you going back to it, you'll just need a bit more motivation. If money is not an issue, then I would say, pursue what you want to do but don't give it up if it feels like it's not going somewhere or you feel disappointed that it isn't progressing as quickly as you'd like.

What do you do for a living? Husband is a carpenter. I'm a support worker, soon maybe to be a social work trainee (local authority). I also work with disabled chn. Trained as a teacher,though.
Do you feel having a baby stops you from being promoted or going for a job you want? Not really. If I WANTED to be high flying in my career, I could do that as well as having a baby; my earnings potential would probably allow for me to pay for full time childcare and still have a decent amount left (not in current job but if I wanted to work my way up/retrain). However, I'd rather be at home with my little girl for now.
If you are currently living with a partner what are your combined earnings?His basic is 23k a year plus a 1k petrol allowance which is not taxed. He then invariably does overtime and gets a bonus at xmas, and his P60 is usually about 25/26k. I get about 2k a year from my job with disabled chn and about 17k from my support worker job, so about 19k before any overtime. That's all gross by the way. We usually net about 2800-3000 a month between us.
What roughly do you spend each month? We certainly seem to spend it all but not entirely sure how! We save £100 a month in an ISA and the rest stays in the joint account, although we do have other accounts that are supposed to be used for organising the money. Our mortgage and life insurance comes to 574 a month and we have a horse (did have 2) that costs about 250 a month, so about 925 spoken for before we even look at bills, childcare and cars! We spend about 300 a month on food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->