Your surname after marriage

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
(Posting on mobile so hoping poll works!)

So, I am getting married next year and am unsure what to do with my surname. My children have my partners surname, not double barrelled as it sounds cumbersome. The issue is I like my surname as its unusual. I could double barrel it but dont know how it sounds , will delete shortly for privacy). I have no ties though to my surname as its my dads who I havent seen for nearly 18 years (hes on Facebook though, which is odd to say the least :haha: )
What did you decide when wed, and why?
Cheers! :flower:

I much prefered my maiden name, but took on my married name. However theres no reason why you can't use your maiden name on things either - my colleague uses her maiden name at work no issues.

After lots of thinking and chatting with my partner I have decided to take his when we get married although I may add my maiden name in my name as a legal middle name. My surname could also be used as a first name for a son so that is always an option for us.

I took my husbands name because i wanted my family to all have the same name.

I took my married name because it's a much nicer name. But it's still my maiden name on my passport and at university.

I took my hubbys name because i like the name Berry....i was a Robinson

i didnt think about it, just took his name. i do prefer my married name though i must admit :)

I took my husband's name, I guess I'm a bit old fashioned and liked the idea of having my husband's name, plus like a PP said I wanted us all to have the same name. Not sure how I would feel if I didn't like his name though haha.

I'm changing mine. I don't dislike my name, but I want us all to have the same name. My LO's have OH's name and I really dislike my name being different to theirs.

Even without children involved, I still think I would take his name, I just like the romance of sharing a name with your husband.

I kept my maiden name and DH is more than happy to change his surname to mine. I wanted to get it double-barrelled but since he wants to change his name to mine I don't see the point

People seem to think it weird I'm not taking on his name. Oh well

I took my husbands name for the same reasons as the other girls :) I wasn't really overly keen on my maiden name and I wanted us all to share the same surname :thumbup: hubby is also a bit of a stickler for tradition so I think he would have been really offended if I had kept my maiden name! x

My name is the same, you don't change your name because you marry in Spain. And we have 2 surnames, our fathers and our mothers. I think if you did want to change your name it would be quite a hard and long-winded process (and you would have all sort of problems because your original surnames would be on uni certificates and things like that)

I took my husbands surname. I prefer it to my maiden name & I liked the idea of us all having the same name.

My maiden name was Holliday, which I loved because everyone remembers it! (and my dh's favourite line was 'I'm always on holiday!) but I took his surname. For one I'm kind of old fashioned (thank goodness he didn't have a terrible surname!) and like others have said I wanted our family to have the same name. My dh's surname is already double-barreled so that wasn't an option either.

My husbands name, because I like us all having the same surname :)

My "story" is odd...

My grandad passed away some years ago now. He always said he feared the family name wouldn't last long. Myself and my siblings had my brothers dad's name and my grandparents had just one son who only birthed daughters. A couple of years ago, a long time after my grandad had passed, my brother legally changed both his and his sons name to the family name. The pride I felt in him was immense. But it also saddened me; he was the last remaining Preston along with me and now I shared my name with no one. My sister had married. As had my mum, whose marriage sadly didn't last but she took the decision to keep her married name.

Cue meeting Colin and getting engaged. The thought of how to remember my grandfather on our day cropped up and it's probably been the thing I've put the most thought into because nothing ever seemed to be enough. And then, one day, it just came to me.

Less than a week later, my future husband had paid to legally change his surname so when we married, I would take the new name on. My real family name - my grandads name :)

But then his mum threw a complete hissy fit so we agreed to double barrel. Colin's name and my family name. Gamble-White.

I detest it. Really, really, really hate it and we regret not sticking to what we wanted in the first place and staying White. I do not want my children to be Gamble-White's - they will be just White's. I haven't broached the subject of me legally changing my name to just White with my husband yet :dohh: Legally, he's still just White!

Not married but if we ever did get married I would keep my own surname. My son has my surname and it wouldn't be fair on him for me to have the same surname as OH and his children but LO to have a different surname. I've always said that's what I'd do.

Not married yet but when we eventually do, will be double barrelled as the children have both our surnames. My surname means a hell of a lot to me so I won't be giving it up easily!!

I took my husband's name as I wanted all the family to have the same name when we had children and double barrelled would just have sounded odd with our surnames. In some ways I do regret it because I am attached to my maiden name and it's part of my heritage and I feel like I have lost that but it's not something that worries me on a day to day basis.

I took my husbands surname. I'm quite old fashioned and traditional, I like the idea that we all have the same name, it makes me feel like we're a unit. Having said that I had no problem giving up my maiden name, I am incredibly close to my family and changing my surname doesn't change the fact that they are my family...so I think I just contradicted myself :haha:
What I'm trying to say is I took my husbands name as it's symbolic to me of the new life/family we are starting together as a couple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->