Your surname after marriage

I took hubbys name, I like it we are all the same. xxx

I'll change my last name....eventually. LOL Its not a huge priority. So when things settle down and I get around to it...yeah. lol

I do want to have the whole family with the same last name, so that is an incentive right now.

My husband took my name (my kids also had my name already), I had previously changed my surname to my late mum's maiden name so we wanted to keep it and have it as family name x

I'm not married yet, but iv voted partners becuase that's what il have when I get married. However I LOVE my surname, it's not commen but not unusual and very scottish, only the Scottish seem to pronounce it correctly too:haha: I wanted a double Barreled name but oh wasn't keen when we had the boys, said it was too long:cry: so we just called them OH short common, every other persons surname :cry: I want the same name as my family I'm dropping my name and taking on OHs surname:cry:

I'm not married yet, but iv voted partners becuase that's what il have when I get married. However I LOVE my surname, it's not commen but not unusual and very scottish, only the Scottish seem to pronounce it correctly too:haha: I wanted a double Barreled name but oh wasn't keen when we had the boys, said it was too long:cry: so we just called them OH short common, every other persons surname :cry: I want the same name as my family I'm dropping my name and taking on OHs surname:cry:

Its tough!! Some women are just ok with taking someone else's last name, and some women are torn. I'm torn. I know I will....eventually....but I have to be ready. I feel like I'm giving up part of who I am. Maybe it has to do with having a German last name, and it'll be changing to a Chinese last name. Its such a HUGE difference. :hugs:

My name is the same, you don't change your name because you marry in Spain. And we have 2 surnames, our fathers and our mothers. I think if you did want to change your name it would be quite a hard and long-winded process (and you would have all sort of problems because your original surnames would be on uni certificates and things like that)

How does this work? Do your parents have 2 surnames each, so which of their surnames are you given when you are born? Sorry, just curious :flower:

I had a very unusual maiden name which I liked, although I don't speak to my dad so I had no emotional ties to it in that way. I took OH's name when we got married. He has one of the most common Asian surnames, which I thought would be a good thing as people would know how to spell it... but they always ask me to spell it anyway as I'm white so they don't think they've heard right. So I'm just stuck with a really common name that I have to spell! I don't mind it but I preferred my maiden name. I would still have changed it if I'd known it would be common and annoying, as I want us all to have the same name.

I know one couple who both changed their surname to a hyphenated name e.g. Mr Smith and Mrs Jones became Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones, which is nice but I wouldn't have done it myself.

Another option I might have considered would be taking my maiden name as a sort of middle name e.g. Rachel Jones Smith, no hyphen, so we'd still be Mr and Mrs Smith but my previous name would still be in my full name and I could call myself Mrs Jones Smith if I wanted. OP, I think your surnames sound good together if you want to use both, it has a nice rhythm to it :)

Thank you :flower: I think it sounds good together, think its because they both have the letter K in them. I like my name as its very local to where I was born and very uncommon, so the fact I dont see my Dad or have ties that way doesnt bother me.

Do you reckon I could be double-barelled on official documents, but just be known by OHs name? I have considered putting surname in as a middle name but it would get lost that way as no-one takes notice of middle names I dont think :shrug:

Our daughter was double barreled with both our names, then when my Husband and I married I took his name, my daughter took his name and my Maiden name became her 2nd middle name.

I didn't want to give up my family name entirely which is why we put it into her name.

I'm glad I took his name, though. I like being the 'McGonigle Family'. All of us under one name. I like that I feel part of his (HUGE) family. And I like that it changes my initials!

I took my husband's name as I wanted our family to have the same name. Not really a big issue for me, as I changed one boring common surname for another! If i had a really cool name, I would have kept it & he would have changed his name.

I took my husband's surname. I think it unites us as a family if we all have the same name, plus I'm traditional.

It's not even something I thought about - nor was deciding what surname our son would have (we got married when he would have been 7 months old). I was actually excited to change my name :D

Changing my name upon marriage was just something I never considered.

Our daughter has both our names.

DH always preferred for me to take his name but said it was my decision. I dislike my husband's family name. It sounds horrible and I don't know how to pronounce it. I didn't change my name initially. Then one day I called the bank to transfer some money to my husband's account. The telephone banker looked down the list of my transferees and asked 'is it to mr A.R' (my brother- because he was the only male on the list I shared a last name with). I felt a bit sad that I wasn't automatically linked tony husband by family name so I began toying with the idea of double barreling. I prepared the deeds for an official name change and happened to tell my father-in-law that I was sending it off to get my documents changed. He said he was sad I would be the only one in our large family who would have a different name and suggested I might not like the choice once I had kids. For some reason, what my FIL said made sense to me, so ultimately, just over a year after we were married, I changed my name keeping my maiden name as a middle and taking DH's family name. Now LO is here, I like that we all share the same family name. Though I still think my maiden name sounded much prettier.

I have never had an issue with LO not having my family name. I gave birth to her and have that link to her that no one else ever will. I think it's nice for her to have something exclusively from her father too. When I was born, I was given my father's family name as a last name and I think it's a nice tradition.

I took my husband's name as I liked the change. And at least people can spell this one!

I'm going to take my OHs name when we get married.

Old fashion too. I took my husband's surname. And all my children take after their father's name too.

My situation was similar to yours op, my maiden name is my dad's surname and I very rarely saw him growing up so it wasn't particularly close to my heart. I chose to go for DH's surname, it goes better with my first name anyway! The kids had his surname too so it made more sense for me if I had the same name as them.

I took my husbands name because like many of the other ladies I wanted our family to have the same name.

My DD had DHs name from birth but we didn't get married until she was 2.5 years old and I hated not having the same name as her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->