Your surname after marriage

I gladly went with my husband's name :) I have a long name and had a short maiden name and it sounded a bit weird. My married surname fits my own name perfectly now.

i took his as i didnt like my maiden name or his tbh. and it important for me for us as a family to have the same name

I took my husbands name without even thinking about it. It's just the done thing. I don't know anyone that has kept their maiden name or double barrelled.

Not married yet (I have a feeling this engagement will last forever...) but I'm keeping my maiden name as its a brilliant name.

I kept my maiden name as my OH didn't like the connotations of me taking his name and it suited me because I like my name and I don't like his. LO has OHs surname and my surname as a second middle name.

I took my husbands name without even thinking about it. It's just the done thing. I don't know anyone that has kept their maiden name or double barrelled.

Same :thumbup: I never realised so many people didn't take their husbands name

I have DH's last name, wouldn't want it any other way. I love being his Mrs. Travis, haha.
Plus it's much nicer and easier than my maiden name! (Maher pronounced "Mar", bleryuck!)

Not married and probably never will be but I don't know if I'd want OHs name, its so german and doesn't fit with my English name :/

I took DH's name. I didn't put any thought into it, I just took his name. It means we all have the same surname as Joshua had DH's surname prior to us getting married.

Me neither!

I do know of somebody that actually took his wife's name when they got married.. I didn't even know that was possible!

Me neither!

I do know of somebody that actually took his wife's name when they got married.. I didn't even know that was possible!

My OH is considering taking my name as he's not really attached to his (just one he picked out when he turned 18) but having a foreign name in Finland isn't the best idea (for work purposes) so he probably won't for that reason.

Me neither!

The area in Canada that my family is from you legally have to keep your maiden name, you need a good reason to change it and marriage isnt one of them so my mom always had a different name to us kids.

I took my husband's last name. We both really wanted to choose an entirely new name and take that but it was a bad time in his career (he was just making contacts in a slightly different field and things) and we wanted a family name. My maiden name and my new name have the same number of syllables and are the same level of "normal-ness" so it hasn't really felt very different.

I did move my old last name to be a middle name but I already had 2 middle names so now my full legal name is ridiculously long and doesn't fit on anything but I don't care, I like it! I didn't want to lose my first middle name as I normally use that initial and I like it, my second middle name was my mom's maiden name and she had no brothers so I wanted to keep that, and then it felt weird to lose my dad's last name but keep my mom's. The few times I've had to put my full name on things people do look at me like I'm crazy but oh well :D

I'm taking my partner's surname when ee marry in July. Partly because I'm old fashioned and just feel like for me that's just what I should do, and partly because my son has my exs surname and it kills me that I'll never have the same surname as him, so at least I can have the same surname as DD x

I'm not married, not sure ever will be but I don't think i'd take his name. They're both quite similar so it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference. Our son has my surname too. It's not that I have anything against taking a husband's surname, I just feel like it's always expected of women to be the one to change their name, and until it becomes normal to discuss which name to take, rather than just assumed, I don't want to go along with it.

I had a very unusual maiden name which I liked, although I don't speak to my dad so I had no emotional ties to it in that way. I took OH's name when we got married. He has one of the most common Asian surnames, which I thought would be a good thing as people would know how to spell it... but they always ask me to spell it anyway as I'm white so they don't think they've heard right. So I'm just stuck with a really common name that I have to spell! I don't mind it but I preferred my maiden name. I would still have changed it if I'd known it would be common and annoying, as I want us all to have the same name.

I know one couple who both changed their surname to a hyphenated name e.g. Mr Smith and Mrs Jones became Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones, which is nice but I wouldn't have done it myself.

Another option I might have considered would be taking my maiden name as a sort of middle name e.g. Rachel Jones Smith, no hyphen, so we'd still be Mr and Mrs Smith but my previous name would still be in my full name and I could call myself Mrs Jones Smith if I wanted. OP, I think your surnames sound good together if you want to use both, it has a nice rhythm to it :)

I get married in less than 3 weeks and iv still not decided!

Me and my partner are getting married next year and will eb taking his name. I think that is how it should be. Kids have his last name.

I've taken my hubbies surname. I like that we all have the same surname. My maiden name was boring and so is hubbies name, they both have 2 syllables and the last syllable is the same so its not really that different

I took Husbands surname. I was excited to be his surname.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->