• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

your thoughts on dummies please

hooch

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 9 day old. He has been feeding every 1.5 hrs. He feeds anywhere between 30 mins and an hour, then falls asleep on the breast. I wind him, put him in his moses basket but within 15 mins hes crying again and rooting for a feed again. Sometimes he only feeds for 10 mins really slowly so I know he isnt that interested in a feed he just wants to suck. I also know he is getting enough food as he is putting weight on and has many wet napies.
Someone has suggested I introduce a dummy just for the night time when I know he has had enough milk and he is just using me for suckling.
Im not against it but dont want to cause problems for myself. I am getting quite sore nipples now despite having a good latch.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you could use a dummy occasionally to give your nipples a break, but at that age babies do want to suckle all the time to get your supply going.

I tried to give my LO a dummy at that age but she wasn't having it. I just had her on the boob practically all the time. I used Lansinoh and switched sides a lot.

Try a dummy hun, baby might hate it (mine does) but dummies are now recommended in the fight against SIDS/cot death until the age of 12 months (they do say from the age of 1 month but I suppose you could try now).
So, despite me always thinking dummies were a bad thing, the recommendations have changed!
Don't beat yourself up if he doesn't take his dummy, keep trying. He is cluster feeding at the moment so he'll want feeding all the time I'm afraid. Doesn't last long though. Buy some lansinoh and apply it after every feed.

I tried a dummy early and it was a disaster for us. Many people introduce them and have no problems at all. However, it caused nipple confusion and we had a very difficult week and a half trying to get him to latch correctly again.
We reintroduced it at 4.5 weeks after feeding was established and havent had a problem.
Clusterfeeding is normal at this stage and will help your supply. Personally I would wait, but you need to do what you feel is right for your situation.

Mine had one at 1 day old, it didn't cause nipple confusion or anything. She dropped it at three months when she found her thumb.

My LO never took one.
But I always think you should get your supply established first. Just because LO's suckling is the only thing that really gets your supply to the right amount and a dummy could make it harder.

I'd wait too, to let your baby really build up your supply. It will seem like all you're doing right now is breastfeeding, but this stage doesn't last forever (though it does feel like forever! ).

Thanks all. I thought i would see how it went last night and typically we had the best night since lo was born! I think I must of had 6 hours all together - I feel like a new woman!

Glad you got some sleep :) like the others have said, hold out if you can until your supply is established.... Soon enough you'll be worried little one isnt feeding enough, like me! Lol! X

My lo had one early on in the hospital and its been a life saver! No nipple confusion and if anything, I had oversupply problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->