• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your view on circumcision.

No, absolutely not. I PERSONALLY (note the use of this word!!!!!) think the procedure is absolutely barbaric, and is unecessarily harming your brand new baby who's just been having sweet sweet cuddles then THAT to happen. No way.

Same goes for females - disgusting, and same goes for anything related like piercing ears. It's wrong (IMO!!).

There is absoutely no medical benefit to having it done, and is definitely not on my to do list if I have a boy.

I will reiterate - once again - these are my personal opinions!

I am not a barbarian nor have I ever harmed all 3 of my sons, but thanks .You have your opinion and I respect that but please don't use such strong words it is offensive and disgusting.

She said the procedure was barbaric, not the person consenting to having it preformed.

Your are probably right, but I took it like if the procedure is barbaric so must the person be ,allowing it?

It is a barbaric procedure and mendically unnecessary. However, parents have the right to choose what they want for their child. Personally I haven't done it nor would I ever. Yet I don't look down upon those that choose to have it performed. I also hate the argument about the baby not "looking like his dad." Last I checked dads and sons shouldnt be comparing the foreskin or lack there of on their penis!!!! My husband is circumcised and boys are not and it hasn't been an issue!!

No, absolutely not. I PERSONALLY (note the use of this word!!!!!) think the procedure is absolutely barbaric, and is unecessarily harming your brand new baby who's just been having sweet sweet cuddles then THAT to happen. No way.

Same goes for females - disgusting, and same goes for anything related like piercing ears. It's wrong (IMO!!).

There is absoutely no medical benefit to having it done, and is definitely not on my to do list if I have a boy.

I actually completely agree.

Regarding the barbaric thing. I think that circumcision is barbaric as in the idea of it to me is barbaric (the idea of cutting off a sensitive bit of skin from a very sensitive and personal part of someone else's body seems barbaric to me) HOWEVER it is not barbaric for someone to get their son circumcised because for them to be acting in a barbaric way by making that decision they would have to be intending harm but in reality, parents choose circumcision out of GOOD intentions, not bad. They do it because they believe that its better for their son (for health or hygiene or whatever reasons) and a parent doing what they think is best for their child, to the best of their knowledge, can never be considered barbaric.

I am not interested in getting into an endless debate about circumcision which never goes anywhere for the millionth time but I would just like to say that comparing female circumcision to ear piercing is fucking GROTESQUE and you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for your input, albeit uncessary.

My use then of the word 'related' probably was not the right one. And I fully understand the process of female circumcision, which is a disgusting process.

But my personal opinion on ear piercing of babies, is that too is disgusting as should not be carried out.....I didn't want my post to be just about cutting boys skin off is wrong.....anything that you do that knowingly harms your baby is wrong - MY OPINION!!

p.s the swearing - really grown up. Good job.

Also, I am not saying people choosing this choice are barbarians, the procedure is barbaric.......and completely unecessary, however if you choose to put your child through this, fine - that's your choice. I have got mine, and I am fully entitled to it.

Why is it when someone is asked for THEIR opinion everyone gets offended when they state it. You wont like everyone's answer, best just to get over it and realise everyone has a different opinion and stop getting annoyed at opposing ones. She was asked for her opinion and she gave it? whats the problem?

Why is it when someone is asked for THEIR opinion everyone gets offended when they state it. You wont like everyone's answer, best just to get over it and realise everyone has a different opinion and stop getting annoyed at opposing ones. She was asked for her opinion and she gave it? whats the problem?

I didn't get annoyed with her opinion I posted she has every right to it, we all do. I just don't like people saying I harmed my boys. I love my boys I would die for my boys, it not fair and not nice when giving an opinion to throw things like that at us who do or did circumcise . Give an opinion yes not offensive comments like harming, this is how I feel and I am entitled to feel that also. I know it is hard for people to understand other people's choice or what they believe in, I don't either sometimes, but I wouldn't make a mother feel like a bad mother cause of it.. Just how I feel, sorry :nope:

I have mixed feelings about this, and have no idea what hubby and I will do if we ever become pregnant with a son. He is for circumcision, and I am against it. I've done lots of research on it, and it seems like there are more pros than cons in getting it done. Just saw an article on CNN that said the American Academy of Pediatrics is now saying that the benefits outweigh the risks. But I'm still not sure what to do.

While doing my nursing preceptorship on the labor and delivery unit, I was able to watch a circumcision. I can tell you that it was one of the most horrible things I've ever seen. This baby wasn't even mine, but when he started screaming after they gave him the anesthetic, it took all I had not to pick up that baby off the table and cuddle him. Then the process of watching the foreskin being removed... yeesh. I'm a sucker for watching surgeries and traumas and gory stuff, but that was almost unbearable. Perhaps it was just because it was a baby and not a consenting adult, but I don't know. :shrug:

Just curious - I'm not a man and so I don't know how this works, but do fathers and their sons compare penises? Does it have something to do with potty training? My hubby makes the argument that boys should look like their fathers, but I don't understand why. My mother and I never compared vaginas. :shrug:

A lot keep citing AAP, I wrote this before, but I guess it got over looked...

The AAP, despite its high-sounding academic name, actually is a trade association of pediatric doctors. Its primary duty is to advance the business and professional interests of its 60,000 members who are called “fellows”. The interests of its child-patients are a distant second to their primary interest.

Its position statements are not legal or medical imperatives and do not have the force of law or public policy. Also, the AAP’s pro-circumcision policy is not supported by any foreign medical associations.

So it's basically just some American doctors, educators, and other medical professionals that want to benefit financially from circumcising infant males.

Also, ever wonder what they do with the foreskins they cut off? Some hospitals actually sell the foreskins to be used elsewhere, like in oral surgeries and growing skin for temporary bandages on burn victims. A hospital in San Diego gets $36 for every foreskin they package and sell. Multiply this by the number of male babies born there each year and the push to have parents do so because it is healthier and that's a huge income on foreskins alone.

Just food for thought.

A lot keep citing AAP, I wrote this before, but I guess it got over looked...

The AAP, despite its high-sounding academic name, actually is a trade association of pediatric doctors. Its primary duty is to advance the business and professional interests of its 60,000 members who are called “fellows”. The interests of its child-patients are a distant second to their primary interest.

Its position statements are not legal or medical imperatives and do not have the force of law or public policy. Also, the AAP’s pro-circumcision policy is not supported by any foreign medical associations.

So it's basically just some American doctors, educators, and other medical professionals that want to benefit financially from circumcising infant males.

Also, ever wonder what they do with the foreskins they cut off? Some hospitals actually sell the foreskins to be used elsewhere, like in oral surgeries and growing skin for temporary bandages on burn victims. A hospital in San Diego gets $36 for every foreskin they package and sell. Multiply this by the number of male babies born there each year and the push to have parents do so because it is healthier and that's a huge income on foreskins alone.

Just food for thought.

Totally didn't know that, that's wild.

Honest question. Was this thread created to truly explore different opinions regarding the subject, or was the intention to educate pro-circ mothers and counter their input?

It's for research. The opinions of both sides were needed. As were the opinions on the facts that have been presented.

The reason I ask is because usually research is done most effectively from a non-biased standpoint.

Just food for thought.

I have never come across a doctor or known someone who has come across a doctor that has been pushy to get their baby circumcised. If there are pushy doctors, they are surely the minority.

I'm not really 100% either way, for or against - but I would also think since the use of foreskin is helpful in other ways that maybe it's kind of nice of the parents who get it done? I'm sure the burn victims are thankful for it. When DH had his second hypospadius surgery they had to take skin from the inside of his mouth to help with the surgery.

Just food for thought.

I have never come across a doctor or known someone who has come across a doctor that has been pushy to get their baby circumcised. If there are pushy doctors, they are surely the minority.

I'm not really 100% either way, for or against - but I would also think since the use of foreskin is helpful in other ways that maybe it's kind of nice of the parents who get it done? I'm sure the burn victims are thankful for it. When DH had his second hypospadius surgery they had to take skin from the inside of his mouth to help with the surgery.

So I should put my son through a unnecessary surgery that he could die from, so someone can sell his foreskin to a burn victim? No thank you.

I'm only stating facts.

You stated facts for one side of the argument, as well as thanking a poster for reassuring you that negating to get your DS circumsized was the right move. That is where the "non-biased" attitude presented in the original post becomes blurred. I am not trying to start an argument, only stating what other posters on this thread have already brought attention to. This topic has come up time and time again on BnB, there are thousands of posts to offer research material and unfortunately this topic ALWAYS seems offend some on both sides. I have yet to see this topic come up without it eventually being closed:( In particular, the comparison to FGM is often made which causes things to escalate quickly. Personally, I don't feel the comparison is a valid one and is sometimes used as a tool for shock value.

Just food for thought.

So I should put my son through a unnecessary surgery that he could die from, so someone can sell his foreskin to a burn victim? No thank you.

I don't really care what you do. If you're against it, that's fine. I'm saying for the parents who ARE for it, they are doing SOME good with having it done if they WANT to have it done in the first place. :shrug:

Just food for thought.

I personally wouldnt chose to have my son circumcised unless medically neccessary. My son didnt have his done, and has never had a UTI nor is it unclean, so for ME those arent reasons I would chose to get it done. Just as for others they are reason enough.

I understand that some men dont like not being circumcised, I also understand that recovery time isnt as good but surely if they are old enough to be bothered by it then surely they are old enough to put up with an extended recovery time for something they want? I mean no pain no gain right.

I guess that is why my views are I wont do it because the option is there for a non-circumcised to get circumcised but for a circumcised male he cant just have it put back on.

Having said the above, I wont call the it barbaric. I am pretty sure parents who chose to, do so because they believe it is the right for their LO and in their best interest just as I do for my LO's and as does everyone else here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->