You're feeding your baby too much!

jjbump

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my second baby (6 days old) and she's been fed on formula since day 3. Her appetite has increased to around 60mls every few hours, although sometimes she'll take 90mls! I know this is a rather large quantity, but at my postnatal check today, the midwife told me we're feeding DD too much and are encouraging obesity! I was rather shocked to say the least. We're feeding on demand and DD is really unhappy if we restrict her to smaller quantities. The midwife said her appetite is most likely down to wind problems, which could be true as she's been crying every now and then whilst squirming around and bringing her legs up. She hasn't vomited any of the feeds, not even possetting.

Has anyone been feeding their newborn babies larger quantities and if so, have you experienced wind problems?

Thanks!

I find the midwives comments to be crazy!
It's like putting a little baby on a diet!
I just feed on demand and give my LO as much as she likes and as often as she likes until she refuses the bottle.

Ermmmm - if you're overfeeding, so am I and have done on all 3 of mine. I feed on demand. Charlie is currently having 3oz bottles and he takes a minimum of 2oz of that each time feeding anywhere between every 2-4 hours depending on time of day etc. EG - last bottle he had was 11.30ish and he took a full 3oz! Before that is was 8am and he had just over 2oz of that one. Before that was about 4am and he again had taken a whole 3oz.

I have no problem just giving them what they need. For one thing, making my baby happy is my priority. For another, at about 1 week they have a massive growth spurt when all the nutrients leftover from us have run out and they have to re-stock it all (would be when milk came in in the mother if BFing).

My advice....ignore ignore ignore and continue to feed on demand - she's obviously healthy and happy and finding her appetite!

P.s. a bit of infacol before each feed will get rid of any wind problems (well, has done for mine anyway) and rule that out as a cause - which if she's not bringing food up that's not the case anyway.

This annoys me about midwifes!

When LO was 10 days old I was told the 60mls she was taking wasn't enough and she should be having 90mls!!

Keep doing what you're doing

Ermmmm - if you're overfeeding, so am I and have done on all 3 of mine. I feed on demand. Charlie is currently having 3oz bottles and he takes a minimum of 2oz of that each time feeding anywhere between every 2-4 hours depending on time of day etc. EG - last bottle he had was 11.30ish and he took a full 3oz! Before that is was 8am and he had just over 2oz of that one. Before that was about 4am and he again had taken a whole 3oz.

I have no problem just giving them what they need. For one thing, making my baby happy is my priority. For another, at about 1 week they have a massive growth spurt when all the nutrients leftover from us have run out and they have to re-stock it all (would be when milk came in in the mother if BFing).

My advice....ignore ignore ignore and continue to feed on demand - she's obviously healthy and happy and finding her appetite!

P.s. a bit of infacol before each feed will get rid of any wind problems (well, has done for mine anyway) and rule that out as a cause - which if she's not bringing food up that's not the case anyway.

That's what I thought. My LO just seems to be really unhappy if she doesn't have enough. We're using Infacol at the moment, but wind is still an issue. :cry:

My little boys 3weeks old. when he was first born he was taking 60mls every 2hours then day 2-3 he also started drinkin 2-3oz. i put him on infacol too as he suffers with wind. i have found though that when he isnt settling between feeds its to do more with him being unsatisfied with his bottle than having wind. sometimes just a little sip more sorts him out.

Dont listen to anyone, let your baby lead you and feed him what he wants. if he drinks too much he will be sick. if he isnt sick then he needs to drink what hes drinking to be full and grow.

My little boy is now drinking 4-5oz every 3-4hours but sometimes he will go through a stage of drinking 2 hourly and only taking 3oz. so babys know what they want xx

My doctor told me theres no such thing as overfeeding an infant. If lo is hungry, feed her!!!! The only thing to worry about is under feeding. The worst that can happen is she'll spit up if shes too full, no big deal.

I agree, keep doing what you're doing. Feed your baby what she wants when she wants. I did with mine and she was fine. Wish she'd feed like that now!! My LO had wind as well and I found burping her after each ounce helped, and also the infacol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->