zero attention span

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
is it normal for a 14 month old to have almost zero attention span?

he used to sit for stories but wont anymore. he is slightly better at attempting to play with toys now instead of just throwing them around but at play group im noticing most of the other kids will sit at a table and do activities even if its only for a short while. jacob wont do this. i try to sit and play with him to hold his attention and show him how things work and encourage him to explore but after a few minutes hes off.

he also hates being in his pushchair unless its moving.

Hi, when my LO was about 14 months he wouldn't sit for a story - it is only in the last month or so that it has got better and he asks for stories all the time and will sit for maybe 3 or 4 in a row. I wouldn't worry too much - probably just a phase they go through? This is him now at 16 months:

5857457857_f5bc9acf83_o.jpg

My cousin was the same at 14 months. He used to stand on his high chair instead of sitting, & he was always on the move & never sat still to concentrate on toys. He used to sit on his car garage instead of playing with his cars, & he hated books. My aunt came with us to the toddlers group few times before quiting as her DS was more interested in moving around alone. Now he's 18 months & he changed. He sits for few mins to point at pics in books & he plays with iphone applications, he also loves his toys. He started to sit more on his highchair without getting bored.

Omar was laid back at 14 months, he used to spend hours reading books & playing with his toys, then after few months he started to move around more, climbing & running around. He started to sit less for reading books. He used to concentrate in toddlers group at 14 months as he prefered to sit & watch, but he used to get bored sometimes & move around.

Sounds normal hun, some toddlers prefer moving around & others are more laid back & prefer to sit more to read books & play with toys.

hi hun, my lo is 13 months and is exactly the same, he never wants to sit still, is always running about, throwing his cars and anything else he can grab, he hates being in the car seat or pushchair if its not moving, he just wants to be free lol im not to worried because ithink at this age they are getting used to there freedom and being able to move they dont want to sit still, i think once they get bored of it they will soon like sitting down for a read and a cuddle :D xxx

As much as I love and admire his independence and curiosity it ain't half exhausting at times lol

Ihsan has only chilled out in the last month. Before then he would not even sit in his pram when it was on the move or at least not for more than a few minutes he had to walk or be carried. Car journeys were not fun. He woud only eat with the tv on or music playing, we had to stop bounce and ryme time as he would rather run round the library than sit and sing in a circle, books were only at bedtime, he wasn't that into toys would rather run round the garden, at gymboree he would run off to play at circle time and i'd struggle to get him to sit for certain activities....

Then one day he just picked up a book for me to read during the day, then another & another and now he asks me to read alot. He also enjoys drawing and has realised that its ok to relax and sit down to enjoy things like games and eating. He just needed time to settle and understand his world a bit more :)

ah thats really reassuring.
jacob is the same. ive had to give up music sessions at our local sure start as he just bull doses over everyone else and wants to play with all the props. i dont actually mind this but i feel a bit like im the mum with the naughty kid sometimes. story time at the library was a failure too. lol.

thanks too all. x

Hi, when my LO was about 14 months he wouldn't sit for a story - it is only in the last month or so that it has got better and he asks for stories all the time and will sit for maybe 3 or 4 in a row. I wouldn't worry too much - probably just a phase they go through? This is him now at 16 months:

View attachment 228063

ah bless. a right little book worm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"