Zero weight gain so far in first tri...

Tesh23

Reaction score
So I am just over 11 Weeks and when I went in last Tuesday my doc said I haven't put on any weight since my first appointment and that I need to put on 200g a week. Don't know how much that is in lbs but I am about 49kg which is around 109-110 lbs.

Doc said baby is healthy and measuring 3 days ahead.

I am eating as much as I possibly can and I do eat whenever I am hungry, I just can't choke back giant meals or anythin so I eat smaller meals more often and snack on healthy and junk stuff sometimes in between.

So I don't know what else I can do unless I really stuff my face with just junk which I can't do as I need to stay healthy.

I am almost at the end of first tri and I really doubt that I am gonna pick up anythin... Has anyone not put on weight in first tri? And when did u start to pick up weight?

I know every body is different but I don't want To risk affecting the baby if I don't put on weight.

I was underweight when I got pregnant, so I have made an effort to gain more weight than most during the first trimester. I've gained about 5 lbs so far. On the weekends pre-pregnancy, I would easily have my last meal at 2pm, but now I try to eat again at 5pm (even if it's just drinking a glass of milk). If you eat dairy, adding more milk to your diet could help you with getting more calories.

Try adding nuts and avacados. Butter bread and put cheese on some of your food. You should be able to boost your calories with a few tweaks. Don't eat anything that's lite or low fat. Have a piece of brown bread and peanut butter before bed with a banana.

Thanks ladies. I can def do more dairy esp milk cos I love it.

And can def try more avocados and bananas. Can't handle peanut butter or that would be brilliant to have on toast.

Hope I can at least put on a little by next appointment!

I ended first tri 7lbs down due to constant nausea, but baby always measured in target so my midwife never said anything about me needing to gain weight until 2nd tri.

I'm still down 3 lbs, so 97 lbs. My ob is fine with it. Said I'd catch up in second, baby is doing fine, measuring well so not really concerned. With dd I gained wayyyyyyy too much so I'm happy to go at it slower this time!!

Gaining weight has always been a struggle for me so
I'm worried about that too. Especially once ms kicks in.

Gaining weight in the first trimester is not necessary at all. It's actually very normal to not gain any weight. It's the 2nd trimester and 3rd that you will need to put on approx 1lb/week. This is my 4th pregnancy. With each pregnancy it has been diff for me. Sometimes I gain a couple pounds, sometimes I lose a couple pounds. This time around I haven't lost or gained.
Don't worry about any of that. As long as your eating healthy balanced meals and taking your prenatals, baby will get everything he/she needs!

Don't worry about it! I only gained a pound and some women actually lose weight because they're sick and whatnot. It's perfectly normal. :)

I've lost six pounds so far due to sickness :( My early scan showed bubs was measuring slightly ahead so I'm trying not to worry.

It's pretty unfair of your Doc to put that kind of pressure on you :/ if baby is healthy and growing well then you don't need to worry. So long as you are getting the nutrients you and baby need that's really all that matters.
Definitely agree with more milk, also maybe some yoghurt to change things up a bit? You could even have it with fruit for breakfast instead cereal/milk.

I've not gained any weight but I started off a bit bigger anyway (57kg at 5'1 so I'm not underweifht by any means). Do you have a "healthy" BMI or are you technically a bit under?

Were you undreweight before getting pregnant? Unless you are very underweight to start with it shouldnt be an issue, especially in tri 1, the baby itself is so small then. I lost 5kg in the 1st tri from sickness in my 1st pregnancy. I gained plenty in 2nd and 3rd tri but was still lighter than when I got pregnant the day after she was born. She was born a healthy 9lbs 5oz so didnt do her any harm, lol.

Were you undreweight before getting pregnant? Unless you are very underweight to start with it shouldnt be an issue, especially in tri 1, the baby itself is so small then. I lost 5kg in the 1st tri from sickness in my 1st pregnancy. I gained plenty in 2nd and 3rd tri but was still lighter than when I got pregnant the day after she was born. She was born a healthy 9lbs 5oz so didnt do her any harm, lol.

I weighed a whole 5kg less after I'd given birth to my son than I weighed when I started! I blame the MS to be honest!

Don't worry. Docs like seeing everyone fit into a normality curve. I didn't gain any weight in first trimester. Baby doesn't need extras yet. They are still tiny! I've definitely caught up now... I don't have scales at home, but gained 5 lbs between 12 & 16 wk appointment. A bit afraid to go in with next appointment as I'm sure I've gained a lot.

Baby will be fine! I would be pleased to not gain weight in first tri unless I was underweight.

I only every lost weight while pregnant and had happy healthy babies.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I am feeling quite reassured. Being pregnant is stressful esp as u want to make sure u are doing everythin right that u possibly can.

I am about 2lbs underweight which I don't think is too much.. Apparently I should be around 126 for my height and age but the border line is 112 for me. I have always been a consistent weight throughout my life and have never put on and lost weight.

My doc is pretty old school as he is like 60 something, but I feel comfortable with him and he is almost like a reprimanding parent sometimes lol. The old school bit thouggh means he is very set in his ways so he prob tells all his patients to try put on weight maybe who knows! But I am going to take all of your advice and just continue eating healthy and take my prenatal and fit in some higher calorie but nutritional food and snacks together with my prenatal and iron.

Hope everyone is feeling good and healthy and continue to do so!:flower:

I would honestly switch doctors if they're pushing you to gain weight this early already. I lost 9 lbs in my first tri due to nausea and my doctor was more than fine with it, and told me many times that you don't really need to start gaining until second or third. I didn't end up gaining anything until end of second tri, then I jumped up pretty quickly.

The important thing is to listen to your body. Don't try to stuff yourself just to gain weight - this can go very badly and be unhealthy. Eat healthy food, eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are full. Your body knows what it needs to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->