Zoe's Birth Story - Arrival of Haley Lois Westwick

xxLeoxx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This post is to announce the arrival of my gorgeous daughter Haley Lois Westwick. Born 5 days late on Monday 25th January 2010 at 4.42am weighing 6lbs 10ozs, measuring 20.5 inches long.

Birth Story below :

A warning this is a little long and graphically detailed.

I had planned a natural, present, unassisted homebirth and that is mostly what I got minus the ‘present’ section.

So for a couple of weeks leading up to the birth i had, had a lot of contractions but they amounted to nothing and it all finally started:

Sunday 17th January 2010

Woke up about 7 am in a lot of pain with contractions coming every 2 hours. By 12 pm they were coming every 15 mins and Ed was beginning to prep our birthing room. However by 2 pm they had stopped and nothing happened until 7 pm that night, very strong contractions started again, coming every 12 mins. Ed examined me and we rang our midwife to update her on the situation while Ed is on the phone, i was on all fours in excruciating pain and we inform midwife that contractions were now 5 minutes apart. She decides she wants to come out to be there incase this is it. She examines me herself when she arrives, but i wasn't dialating and contractions died off. She checked Halo's heartbeat and all was fine. Midwife went home and i went to bed.

Monday 18th January 2010

Woke up with no labour signs at all. Ed went to work and i continued my day. Phone my mum about 2 pm in pain and she comes to sit with me and contacts my husband Ed, who says he will come home straight away, but I told him to wait at work as I was sure he wouldn’t be needed yet. Pains die off after 20 mins and mum tells Ed not to worry and she goes home. Ed comes home at 4 pm to find me in excruciating pain, with contractions coming every half hour. 9 pm contractions are coming every 6 mins, Ed examines me and calls the midwife again to update her (as she has asked us to do) she comes out to us and checks Halo’s heartbeat and is pleased to tell me that all is still fine and we are still on for our planned birth. Ed examines me but still no dialating and contractions start to die off and by 11 pm they are gone and off to bed we go, wishing that tomorrow might be the day.
But how wrong were we? ...

Tuesday 19th January 2010

Woke up in pain about 8.15 am, contractions are strong and coming every 3 mins, this time i was a little less optimistic and told Ed not to bother calling Midwife because they will stop soon and sure enough by 9.30 am they had gone. Feeling very frustrated i send Ed off to work and get on with my day, this doesn't last very long, by 1.20 pm my mum is back round calling Ed because contractions have returned with a vengeance and are 3 mins apart. This goes on all night and by 7 pm they are 1 min apart and Ed examines me and I am 1 cm dilated so he calls midwife to update her - OK we are getting somewhere, allbeit slowly. We move into birthing room to ride out the contractions and with no pain relief this feels like it is taking ages to ride out. Ed checks Halo's heartbeat and tells me that her head is now engaged. Which i can feel very well by the feeling of a basketball between my legs. Midwife arrives to be present in case this is birthing time :D But contractions slow down and by 9 pm they have gone. So, midwife leaves and off to bed we go, a little happier knowing that we are getting somewhere slowly :D

Wednesday 20th January 2010 – Due Date :D

Wake up with excruciating contractions about 4.20 am, they are about 4 mins apart and i am feeling a lot of pressure down below recognising this feeling as an urge to push, Ed examines me and I am 3 cm dialated - YAY!!! Ed calls the midwife and she comes straight round. Contractions are getting stronger and closer together and i am getting the urge to push so Ed checks me again and i am still 3 cms. Contractions are becoming unbearable and at 2.10 pm they are 1 1/2 mins apart, so i am offered gas and air - no thank you, i planned a natural birth and that is what i will have, ha foolishly. By 6 pm i am having contractions on a scale of 20 out of 10 lol and Ed, bless him tries to make me feel better by telling me that he is so proud that i haven't screamed once yet (he did enough for the both of us when i squeezed his hand lol) a few hours later and i am still 3 cms dialated and contractions have slowed down and are only mild and eventually stop all together. Midwife leaves and I carry on with my evening. Eventually i get ready for bed and at 10.30 pm, laying in bed and contractions start again, very angry by now, have had enough just want Halo here and the contractions to stop. However they remain mild and i manage to dose when they die down.

Thursday 21st January 2010 – 1 Day OVERDUE!

So, i have contracted all night and again wake up in excruciating pain with an urge to push, Ed examines me, still only 3 cms so i focus on using Ed’s hand as a squeeze toy (bless him) and Ed calls the midwife and she tells him that she is on her way round. Midwife arrives and i apologise for calling her so much i hate being a nuisance to others. 1.13 pm and i'm still contracting and they are very strong, i feel a lot of pressure and the urge to push, with contractions at 2 mins apart i'm examined again and this time it is very uncomfortable, i am 5 cms dialated - Halfway it's gotta be today :D

How very wrong was I ...

Contracting all day and a possible fracture to Ed's hand, contractions slow down but are still strong and very painful, coming every 12 mins by 9 pm, they stay strong but get further apart and midwife leaves at 11.40 pm, still 5 cms dialated and still contracting strongly. These continue through the night and get no sleep with contractions all night.

Friday 22nd January 2010 – 2 Days OVERDUE!!

Ok, so I’ve contracted all night and I am at the end of my tether now, really cannot stand this anymore. Contractions have stopped though. Stay this way all morning. I get Ed to examine me and I am still 5 cms dialated – Oh My God come on Halo. Midwife rings in to check on how the night went. So I explain and tell her that nothing is happening this morning, so she tells us to try a few things. We start by having a spicy curry for lunch – nothing. We then try a little jump on the trampoline – still nothing so we try her last suggestion – SEX, yeah like I feel like having sex right now. But we do it anyway – nope, STILL nothing. Evening continues and I finally go to bed very angry after 4 days of contractions and 2 days overdue, still no baby … GRRR!!

Saturday 23rd January 2010 – 3 Days OVERDUE!!!

Wake up in excruciating pain at 7 am, contractions are coming very strong, every 14 mins, and slowly get closer together. At 8.15 am they are 7 mins apart and I get Ed to examine me again, STILL 5 cms dialated, OH COME ON THIS IS RIDICULOUS NOW. Squeezing Ed’s hand I get the urge to push and very intense tightening in the base of my bump, I can’t stay sitting so I get on all fours and the contractions get worse, really taking my breath away and I really want to push, so Ed calls the midwife and explains the situation and she says that I shouldn’t push because I am not dialated enough and it could cause more harm. She offers to come and check me, but I tell her I’m fine and she says she will keep in touch. Soon the contractions die off and by 2pm they are completely gone. Why doesn’t she want to come out? Spend the entire rest of the day bouncing on the birthing ball and jumping on the trampoline, but by 11.30 pm I am ready for bed and off to sleep I go, feeling very frustrated.

Sunday 24th January 2010 – 4 Days OVERDUE!!!!

Woke up 3.00am contractions are back, 1 hour apart, ride them out knowing they will die off soon, but at 10.00 am contractions are 10 mins apart and Ed examines me – 5 cms dialated STILL!! Contractions still very strong and OMG want to push so bad, so I take it all into my own hands and on all fours I gently push and I feel Halo move slightly and the basketball feeling gets more intense and the urge to push is getting slowly stronger. 3.00pm contractions still going strong and this time getting stronger – 20 mins apart, Ed examines me, no change – WHAT A SURPRISE. Ride out the contractions while trying to carry on with my afternoon. 7.00pm still contracting now 11 mins apart and slowly getting closer. Ed wants to examine me but I tell him not to bother because it will all be over soon - How wrong was i? Still contracting, wanting to push, so i do, Ed gets on the phone to the midwife and explains what’s happening. She tells me to listen to my body and go with it, she will be round to sit it out with us in about 5 mins. Contractions getting stronger and closer together feeling like i need the loo - contractions 6 mins apart. Ed examines me as the midwife arrives, still 5 cms. Ok what is wrong? Maybe I’m only supposed to be at 5 cms, just let me push her out. Ed calmly explains to me that I must wait and I quite angrily tell him that when he can push a watermelon out of his nostril he can tell me what to do, until then shut up. Contractions continue and the urge to push begins to intensify, another internal, still 5 cm dilated. 9.30 pm I tell midwife to leave, nothing is going to happen and promise to ring as soon as anything else happens. Still contracting but not as painful, so I prepare for a night of contractions.

Monday 25th January 2010 – 5 Days OVERDUE!!!!!

After contracting all night, contractions still very strong and getting closer together, by 1.14 am contractions are 12 mins apart and i am feeling a lot of pressure and i am unable to sit down because it is so sore. I don't bother ringing the midwife because i don't want to waste her time again.1.30 am i want to push and Ed examines me and i am 7 cms dialated, ok we are definitely going to get somewhere. 2 am contractions are stronger than ever and are not letting up at all, they are 6 mins apart and i'm feeling so much pressure and feel like i have been kicked by a horse, i want to push and Ed calls the midwife about 2.10 am. She tells us that she is on her way. By 3.00 am she still hasn't arrived and i am still in a lot of pain with a lot of pressure a very strong urge to push and after Ed examines me i am 9 cms dialated, definitely going to be today :D Ed calls my mum and she says she is on her way to be with us :D he then calls the midwife to see where she is and explains that he has examined me and i am 9 cms dialated. She explains that there has been an accident on the road and that she is caught up in traffic.
3.17 am and i am still contracting, very strongly and I’m beginning to think that I can’t do this, when Ed says to me that all I have to do is believe in myself, this is what my body is made to do - I have been telling him that for months lol I can not longer stand to sit because the contractions are so strong so I take to standing and pacing a little. A very intense contraction begins to wash over me and I can’t move anymore so I stand holding my bump with Ed holding my hands on my bump and leaning against my back so I can push into him, when GUSH!!!! my waters break, that’s it, waters have gone, so Ed examines me and the contractions just roll on at 1 min apart, still no midwife and still 9 cms. 3.56 am and i want to push more than ever, Ed examines me again and calls the midwife - She is still stuck in traffic and guess what :

I am 10 CMS DIALATED – FINALLY!! This is it , here we go, gotta get Halo out and no midwife around, so Ed steps fully into his planned midwife's role (thank god he went to lots of birthing classes) With my mum at my side, holding on of my hands and rubbing my back, I begin to bear down. Ed keeps hold of my hand the entire time with his head between my legs lol
So here we go, 4.00 am, 10 cm's, waters gone and time to push. Strong contraction arrives, deep breath in, chin in chest and bear down. Contractions gone, 10 secs later contraction back, deep breath in, chin in chest and push down, this time Ed can see Halo's head. 4.05 am still pushing but Halo's head still isn't crowning and midwife still hasn't arrived. 4.08 am and with a strong contraction i take a deep breath, chin in chest, bear down and push as hard and as long as possible, Halo is crowning and i can feel everything - like an elephant is stamping it's way out of there, i can feel the stretching and OH MY GOD (without pain relief) there isn't anything i can't feel. Contraction gone and with the next push, her head will be born. So contraction comes and deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push - Oh the stretching and then – that SOUND (material ripping) and the excruciating, numbing pain of Halo tearing me and her head is born. Ed is supporting her head and getting ready to deliver her shoulders, with the next contraction, i take a deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push, a little more tearing and a lot of pain, and she isn't moving anymore. So contraction comes again and off we go, deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push, this time i feel her move, she tears me a little more and her shoulders are finally out. With the next push she will be born.

And here we go, contraction comes, deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push, nothing happens, and the contractions rolls on again very quickly and again i am bearing down and pushing. 4.22 am Still bearing down and still pushing – nothing is happening, she has stopped moving. Ed tells me to pant a while so I do and shortly I get another contraction, so here we go, deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push, I’m still pushing and Halo isn’t moving, so I get on all fours and with my next contraction I bear down and push, using the gravity to help. I feel her shift a little and the contraction is gone, so back in my sitting position and the next contraction shortly arrives, deep breath in, chin in chest, bear down and push, i'm still pushing and Halo is born, arriving at 4.42 am the midwife rings the doorbell and my mum answers the door. Ed informs me that Halo is definitely a girl :D the midwife enters the room with my mum with Ed sitting on the bed holding a screaming Halo, with his hand around mine. Midwife comes over and lets Ed cut the cord (well he may as well as he has done everything else lol) with Halo on my chest, Ed back at my side with his arm around me, the midwife gives a little pressure on my stomach and i give another push to deliver the placenta and the assistant midwife begins to get things ready for Halo's checks.

I'm exhausted, Halo is checked and everything is fine, she is weighed and weighs in at 6lbs 10ozs and 20.5 inches long :D Very healthy baby. Ed dresses Halo whilst the midwife puts the 46 stitches in my tear (ouch) and feeling very bruised, sore and exhausted i head to the lounge to relax on the sofa. The midwife finishes her duties and after thanking her for everything she has done, she heads home with the assistant midwife. My mum and dad prepare the bedroom for me, while Ed and I enjoy our daughter. My mum and dad come to the lounge and have a cuddle with Halo while Ed calls his parents and tells them the good news :D My parents say that they are going to leave us to get some rest. My dad gives me a kiss goodbye and congratulates Ed and I before going to get the car. My mum kisses me and Halo goodbye and tells me she is proud of me – love her so much. She then kisses Ed goodbye and heads off home. Ed and I head to bed to try and relax before the fun of parenthood really takes hold.

Sorry that it was so long and graphically detailed but i really wanted to explain every detail of my birth it was the most amazing experience of my life.

Good luck to all of you who are expecting, enjoy every minute of your experience

Thank you for reading my story and experiencing my birth :)

All our love

Zoë, Ed and Haley Lois (Halo) xoxo

wow sounds like you really went through it...congrats on your little girl.

I am so happy to be reading this :) I Love her already hun!! She is a perfect little peanut!!!

woow you are soo brave hun well done and congrats on lil halo :) :) x

Thank you all so much, it was amazing and i wish you all luck with your little ones :D

Zoe xoxo

Amazing hun and congrats on your little Halo, i love the name btw xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"