Zoloft in Pregnancy

sadeyedlady

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been on Zoloft during their pregnancy? If so did it have any effects on baby?

I opted not to because my psychologist said that, while it is the safest of the antidepressants, she has known women who had healthy pregnancies on it and other who had complications as a result of it. So her advice was to up my counseling and wean me off by second trimester, so I decided to just never start.

If you feel that your stress or depression is so severe nothing helps, they recommend staying on it because the risks/costs do not out weigh the benefits. But for me, my anxiety is triggered rather than constant so the benefit wasn't worth it.

So, for me, both my psychologist and gyn agreed I should not be on it and be diligent with counseling/mindfulness

I was just put on zoloft at 25 weeks for depression. Depression in pregnancy carries, in mine and my doctor's opinions, more risks for me and my baby than zoloft. I just started it yesterday, so we'll see.

I am on Effexor and Seroquel and 7 weeks pregnant. I have had lots of consults with doctors and for me, we've determined that the benefits outweigh the risks. Without medications I don't sleep AT ALL, and become completely depressed & miserable. On medications, I am a very happy camper. The thing to remember is that:

Depression = known threat to the baby & mom
Medication = theoretical threat to the baby & mom

I found studies from Harvard's Women's Institute very helpful: https://womensmentalhealth.org/specialty-clinics/psychiatric-disorders-during-pregnancy/

Mother to Baby is another good one my doctor recommended. You can search for Zoloft and see what they say:
https://mothertobaby.org

Generally, most antidepressants (Category C Risk) don't cause more birth defects beyond the 3-5% risk that all pregnancies carry. The important thing to remember is that ALL pregnancies have risks, regardless of medication. There is no "magic bullet" that will protect you & your baby from any risks.

Anecdotally, I used to be part of pregnancy group for women who were on medications and it really didn't seem to effect their pregnancies.

I'm not going to lie, I am nervous about my pregnancy, but a lot of me is leaning on faith that all babies are a gift from God, and He is keeping a close eye on this little one :)

Best of luck with treatment everyone.

I began the medication 4 weeks ago and I'm like a different person already. Definitely the right decision for me personally. Also started Anxiety Therapy Treatment and waiting for CBT.

I'm starting therapy this week as well. I'm glad it is working for you!

I began the medication 4 weeks ago and I'm like a different person already. Definitely the right decision for me personally. Also started Anxiety Therapy Treatment and waiting for CBT.

Did you have a lot of side effects when you started it? I only started yesterday and I have been mild to moderately nauseated all day, and I did not sleep hardly a wink last night.

I'm a registered mental health nurse (as well as a previous sufferer of depression, PND and ex self harmer). In my professional and personal opinion there's more likely a higher risk due to your mood and anxiety than the medication itself.

I find CBT highly effective alongside antidepressants with patients. I've always viewed and described psychiatric medication as a "stepping stone" to get you to a place where in you feel you can seek help and trial other methods to aid in mood and anxiety control.

Nausea and wakefulness are fairly common side effects of antidepressants, especially the newer type ones. When I was put on Citalopram I was also commended on Omeprazole due to the nausea and reflux. If you feel like the symptoms are unmanageable, don't get better or out weigh the benefits of the actual medication then please ask for a medication review.

Good luck :flower:

Thanks! I have read most people who post how it worked for them the side effects drop off after the first week or less, that is what I am hoping.

Did you have a lot of side effects when you started it? I only started yesterday and I have been mild to moderately nauseated all day, and I did not sleep hardly a wink last night.

What time of the day are you taking them? Personally I only get side effects when I take it during the day such as nausea and tiredness. Started taking them before I go to sleep and find the side effects non existent so far. Saying that though everyone's different.

Best of luck in your therapy. What kind are you going to be doing?

What time of the day are you taking them? Personally I only get side effects when I take it during the day such as nausea and tiredness. Started taking them before I go to sleep and find the side effects non existent so far. Saying that though everyone's different.

Best of luck in your therapy. What kind are you going to be doing?

Well I slept better last night and I haven't felt a nauseated today, which is good. I was told to take them at night because they might make me drowsy, but then they kept me awake! But the second night it wasn't as bad, I probably slept 5 or 6 hrs before I had to get up and pee, and then I never really went back to sleep, but it was better.

I'm not sure, I just made an appointment with a therapist. I think he does a lot of different kinds of therapy, we will probably work out a plan after we meet.

Just wanted to jump in and say that I've had 2 babies while taking zoloft and so far, they are perfect. The oldest is 11 so when I took while pregnant with her it was even more controversial then than it is now, but the benefits usually outweigh the risks by far. I've been on it for like 17 years so for me to stop now would be very harmful.

As far as it keeping you up at night, it used to do that to me also but taking it in the morning stopped that from happening. But I think everyone is different and night might be better if you're having a lot of side affects. Just give it a couple weeks to even itself out in your body. Good luck ladies :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->