£20 charge to see GP

i am one of 'those' people who get benefits/free prescriptions etc.

it's not all it's cracked up to be just so you know, i left my job because i was getting bullied, with the current ecconomic situation finding a job is very difficult, I am trying to make the best of what i can. I manage to get a temp job, literally 1 day here and 1 day there, maybe 3 days a month, nothing huge and you know what, the government let me keep a grand total of £5 of what i earn then take the rest off me. £5 isn't even 1 hour at minimum wage, it's not like being on JSA is easy and i get everything thrown at me, they certainly don't make it easy and i most certainly don't feel great about claiming benefits and comments about 'those' people really make me feel even more crap about myself than I did before.

in regards to the £20 to see a dr, yeah i think it is wrong, people who need care might put it off and end up sicker than they were before, but on the flip side, the reason the NHS is in such a state is because people take advantage of the system so it is streched to the limit

it's not all it's cracked up to be just so you know, i left my job because i was getting bullied, with the current ecconomic situation finding a job is very difficult, I am trying to make the best of what i can. I manage to get a temp job, literally 1 day here and 1 day there, maybe 3 days a month, nothing huge and you know what, the government let me keep a grand total of £5 of what i earn then take the rest off me. £5 isn't even 1 hour at minimum wage, it's not like being on JSA is easy and i get everything thrown at me, they certainly don't make it easy and i most certainly don't feel great about claiming benefits and comments about 'those' people really make me feel even more crap about myself than I did before.

in regards to the £20 to see a dr, yeah i think it is wrong, people who need care might put it off and end up sicker than they were before, but on the flip side, the reason the NHS is in such a state is because people take advantage of the system so it is streched to the limit

Nobody is having a go at people on benefits but its very frustrating that you get everything free when we need to pay (even if we're on a shit wage). Its really unfair when we already pay our taxes. I think if you wanna charge for things then people on benefits should pay out too :shrug:

I have no problem with people on benefits. :)hugs: buttonnose) I don't mind sharing what money I have (which is by no means much, not even when I was on full wage). I give money to charity regularly, and work for one in fact. Yes there are people that screw the system and that's shit and makes everyone angry (people on benefits no less than those paying taxes I'm sure) but there are also people who don't sign on for whatever reason. It all balances out and I'd rather feel that people who need it are getting some help. Do you all know that you can only get JSA if you've paid a certain amount of tax previously? It's not like people leave school and decide they're too lazy to work so they sign on.

If it meant everyone getting a better NHS and better education then I'd pay more taxes. This expectation to have superb social services all for free at point of service then be riled because taxes have to paid is just ridiculous, not to mention selfish.

I have no problem with people on benefits. :)hugs: buttonnose) I don't mind sharing what money I have (which is by no means much, not even when I was on full wage). I give money to charity regularly, and work for one in fact. Yes there are people that screw the system and that's shit and makes everyone angry (people on benefits no less than those paying taxes I'm sure) but there are also people who don't sign on for whatever reason. It all balances out and I'd rather feel that people who need it are getting some help. Do you all know that you can only get JSA if you've paid a certain amount of tax previously? It's not like people leave school and decide they're too lazy to work so they sign on.

If it meant everyone getting a better NHS and better education then I'd pay more taxes. This expectation to have superb social services all for free at point of service then be riled because taxes have to paid is just ridiculous, not to mention selfish.

I have no problem with JSA as they have to actively be seeking work. Its the people who don't work at all and have no intention of working (for no reason other than they don't want to) that irk me. Very few people enjoy working but we still have to it it.. why shouldn't they?

That being said, I'm all for giving people benefits who deserve, are entitled to it and need it.

No digs intended at people on benefits... I know it's far from an easy life. The moan is about people who are just scraping by when you work and every day seems to bring more charges some way or other for those not exempt.

Sometimes i think we might be better off on benefits :shrug:

:hugs:

No offence was meant hun xxx

I have no problem with JSA as they have to actively be seeking work. Its the people who don't work at all and have no intention of working (for no reason other than they don't want to) that irk me. Very few people enjoy working but we still have to it it.. why shouldn't they?

I don't see how, generally speaking, such people would get any benefits at all (except child tax and child benefit). As you say JSA has to be earned. And disability is assessed. What else is there?

If I didn't work because I want to stay home with Byron and we were scraping by I would hope to get tax credit to help but I wouldn't (and couldn't for long anyway) claim JSA. If someone was staying home and their partner earned a mint they wouldn't get any tax credits anyway, so what other pots of money are there?

:dohh: Forgot about the housing related benefits! But that's fine too. I have mortgage so I'm lucky and don't need any benefits like that. You have to be pretty hard up to qualify for them.

I thought income support was kind of gone now with JSA and working tax credits? How is it measured now?

I think its tied in with JSA but is more than non income based JSA?

I'd ask OH who works for the jobcentre... but i really don't want to coz he witters on forever :rofl:

my dads on disability, my mum dont work and i dont no how it works out but they get everything, Rent,Council Tax, and the other money, plus the free bits..

Me and Oh live of his 14k pr yr job with housing benefit

Oh and i dont ant to rub anything in here but for the lady above on benefits, there is a thing called pharmacy First that you can get if you dont need to pay for prescriptions, e.g on benefits/Mat ext/Under 16 you can get a book and you take it to your local Pharmacy and get free hayfever tablets, pain killers, nit suff,Calpol, ect ect

So anyone who dont have to pay because of babies and everything can get some free medical things if you need them

Im sure income support is for houses with an income of 16k a year or under ... as it is with most benefeits

:rofl:

But it doesn't sound like something just given out because people don't want to work.

I just don't believe people scam the system as much as is reported in the press and is perceived by the public. It's rubbish that anyone does but it's a well researched phenomenon common to all shared systems so there's no way round it.

Sorry, I have almost single-handedly completely turned the topic of your thread! lol

Im sure income support is for houses with an income of 16k a year or under ... as it is with most benefeits

I thought it was more like £14k? That's really not a lot of money. Until the interest rates dropped we were paying almost £10k pa on mortgage alone and we live in a 2-bed house in a fairly grotty area that is almost bottom-rung in the housing heirarchy. I know you don't get benefits for mortgages but rent is comparable so I think people on such low family incomes should get help to pay their rent.

Income support isn't anything to do with JSA as hubby has just clarified. He said the main claimers of Income support are lone parents. Who would need the income in order to stay at home and look after their children.

My mum and dad claim DLA and IS... my mum is on DLA and they jointly claim IS as my dad is her carer

xx

I thought it was more like £14k? That's really not a lot of money. Until the interest rates dropped we were paying almost £10k pa on mortgage alone and we live in a 2-bed house in a fairly grotty area that is almost bottom-rung in the housing heirarchy. I know you don't get benefits for mortgages but rent is comparable so I think people on such low family incomes should get help to pay their rent.

Thats what i thought but we are on 14K a year and got told we could only get Tax credits, Housing benefit and child benefit

Looking on hmrc.

IS is only for family units; only one claimant per family and they are not to be looking for work as should then be on JSA. Can't find any rules though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->