0 to potty kits

mummypeanut

baby due march 10th
Reaction score
I know everyone on here advocates having a mix but the prime reason we are going cloth (appart from environement reasons) is to save money. My concern is if i buy a bit here and there we wont save as much.

To be honest (i know im loopy) I'm not that drawn to nappy patterns and things, i feel quite happy buying one kit and getting used to using one system - plus i think it will be better for hubby who has taken a bit of pursuading.

The shop we are biuying from is 5 mins away from our house and she said if we was 2 or 10 from the kit we can always get re-imbursed and swap the rest for something else if we decide it doesnt suit the baby. She also said that if the baby is born with skinny legs we might want to swap tots bots wraps for mother ease ones. I feel quite happy that if its not working for us she will support us to find something that does work for us.

Is there anyone on here who uses one brand 90% of the time? What do you all think - am i going to be back here crying in 4 months time :wacko:?

I'll be interested in replies too, I'm looking at buying 0 to potty flips as our usual nappy with a few odd pretty ones thrown in for cost reasons too.

kits work for some people and don't for others, it's all about summing up why you're using cloth i guess. If you're on a tight budget or prefer the thought of having your nappies all ready to go then a kit could be the way to go. However, there's also the fact that the nappy might not work for you but there are ways around this such as auction sites websites like this etc. Sounds like you've got a good shop near you :thumbup: the only other thing i would point out is that one reason i personally like the variety is because sometimes i find one nappy works better for something than another. For example, if i'm expecting a poo i won't put LO in an Itti because it can get a little messy with the trim fitting. Plus, as my baby a) changed shapes b) weaned and c) started moving i also found nappies that worked previously may not work so personally i like the variety.

Hope that helps some :flower:

If you're concerned about the cost then kits could be the way to go and it's good that the shop will swap unwashed ones. However, if you buy a kit from them and have to return them, what happens if that particular shop doesn't sell anything that suits your baby? That depends how many different types the shop sells I suppose as to how likely that is! What I would do is buy just one or two of the kind you're interested in, try them out and if they work, then buy a kit. Some shops will give you back the cost of your original couple if you then buy a kit from them I think. At least then you'll not end up with your money tied up in a shop that might not sell what you need.

I use Bum Genius 99% of the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a kit, it does save lots of money and if you like the nappies and they work for you then why not?

But... we did try half a dozen different brands before we committed.

This doesn't have to cost much. Check out what your council offer for incentives, and see if you can get hold of any freebies. For instance I had a friend who had been sent an email from Little Lamb as a valued customer, offering her an introduce a friend free nappy. So she sent the code on to me and I got a free LL!

Once we had tried a few we found which ones we liked best and decided to buy more of those. So we got 10 BG and now just use those. We still use the one Pop In we got from time to time.

Im just concerned because i know what I'm like. I am an extremely lazy person and if i start as i mean to go on I'm more likely to stick with it.

If I hold back and dont have enough nappies available to not suppliment with disposables I'm worried the disposables will become a habit and cloth will go out the window.

I suppose this way I'm kinda trapping myself into a commitment :blush: its self manipulation :haha:.

We use Onelife nappies https://www.onelifeworld.com/prd.pl We got the birth to potty kit but they seem to have changed it since and it now has much less in it? Although it's cheaper now too, we paid just under £300 but I think we have around 20 nappies, 3 wraps in each size from 0-3, a bucket, 2 mesh bags, liners and nappy soak. Sadly it doesn't look quite as good now they have changed it though :( They are quite good nappies, I haven't tried any others though really! x

I use motherease ones most of the time and find them great... the only problem I find is that they make a newborn really bulky..

But having tried others I find these with either totbots wraps or motherease ones being the best for not leaking!

Im just concerned because i know what I'm like. I am an extremely lazy person and if i start as i mean to go on I'm more likely to stick with it.

If I hold back and dont have enough nappies available to not suppliment with disposables I'm worried the disposables will become a habit and cloth will go out the window.

I suppose this way I'm kinda trapping myself into a commitment :blush: its self manipulation :haha:.

Ha that sounds like something I'd do!

This might be a crazy idea but instead of supplementing with disposables, you could use muslins instead? Quite a few people use them for newborns - just use them like a terry nappy with a wrap over the top. If the system you're looking at buying is a two parter with wraps anyway, you could buy a few wraps and a few nappies to try out before you buy the whole kit, and a stash of cheap muslins (Asda is good for them) which you could use with the wraps until you've tried out the more expensive nappies? Then if you like the nappies, you can buy the rest of your stash and use the muslins for other stuff.

Before Freya was born we decided we wanted to use bamboo Little Lambs so bought a birth to potty kit, costing £280 for 40 nappies, 20 wraps and all the accessories needed. I have since sold most of them as they didn't last long enough for Freya and now use BumGenius Organic AIOs 95% of the time. We have about 14 of them, different ones for night time and a few pretty ones.

If the did a BG AIO kit I would have bought it, I think it's nice to be used to one sort of nappy. :)

Ha that sounds like something I'd do!

This might be a crazy idea but instead of supplementing with disposables, you could use muslins instead? Quite a few people use them for newborns - just use them like a terry nappy with a wrap over the top. If the system you're looking at buying is a two parter with wraps anyway, you could buy a few wraps and a few nappies to try out before you buy the whole kit, and a stash of cheap muslins (Asda is good for them) which you could use with the wraps until you've tried out the more expensive nappies? Then if you like the nappies, you can buy the rest of your stash and use the muslins for other stuff.

good idea - i will defo consider that!

Yeah, you can use muslins, or terry squares which are also cheap while you try other more swanky nappies and decide what you like and what works. We did this. While we were trialling the pockets, fitteds etc we were also using Bambino Mio prefolds :thumbup:

I'm not sure if Im allowed to say other forums, but clothnappytree have lots of reviews on their site which might help, and they have a really good classified forum.

bjl :wave: i'm on CNT too :) you are allowed to mention other forums so long as they arent TTC/preg etc :)

I bought all one kind of OSFA pocket nappies. I did get some extra hemp inserts for overnights/heavy wetting (mine came with 2 microfiber each, one 200ml, one 300ml). The place I bought them from has a policy of buying back any unworn ones so if they end up being totally unsuitable I have some recourse. And if I do need to get rid of the worn ones they have a fairly good resale value.
I'm a bit from being able to use them yet though...:blush:

I bought all one kind of OSFA pocket nappies. I did get some extra hemp inserts for overnights/heavy wetting (mine came with 2 microfiber each, one 200ml, one 300ml). The place I bought them from has a policy of buying back any unworn ones so if they end up being totally unsuitable I have some recourse. And if I do need to get rid of the worn ones they have a fairly good resale value.
I'm a bit from being able to use them yet though...:blush:

hehe! its good to be organised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"