1:270 risk for down's...amnio??

louise85

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Sorry for posting in 2nd but not many ladies seem to have gone through this in 1st.

I had my detailed scan last week after a high nuchal measurement, at first it was measured above 3mm (I think about 3.8mm) by two different midwives at my local hospital so got referred for detailed scan.

At this one the measurement was 2.8mm with no other soft markers, my risk was 1:89 (I'm 24) so I opted to have my bloods done as the CVS miscarriage rate was really high (1 in 75).

Had the phone call today she said I'm now low risk but my odds are still 1:270! So I'm still really worried!

I am booked for another detailed scan on 4th Jan where I can also have amnio if I wish. Any advice or anyone been in a similar situation?? I don't know what to do for the best!! :nope:

hi hun sorry ive got no advice other than :hugs: and i hope everything turns out ok for you.

1/270 works out as 0.37% of your little one having DS

Hope this helps
xx

It does seem better worked out as percentage!! I've got 3 weeks to make the decision, I think it will always be at the back of my mind if I don't do the amnio x

Do what you feel you need to do i cant even imagine how hard it must be.
Whatever you decide make sure its your decision and its the right one for you guys. Dont let anyone sway you or tell you that you MUST do this or you CANT do that. Do you what you need hun :hugs:
xx

I'm glad i had the CVS done coz i need to know one way or another. My situation is way different to yours though.

1 in 270 still means there is a 269 chance that everything is fine.

Will keep my fx'd for you xxx

I think as your bloods are low risk i would try and not to worry x

I'm glad i had the CVS done coz i need to know one way or another. My situation is way different to yours though.

1 in 270 still means there is a 269 chance that everything is fine.

Will keep my fx'd for you xxx

Thank you. I can't imagine what your going through I'm so sorry, your such a lovely lady :hugs: xxx

I had a 1-50 risk and decided against an amnio or CVS as the risk of invasive testing was too much for us personally.. its is such a personal decision and so many personal factors have to be taken into consideration...

I waited until 20 weeks to have a very detailed anomoly scan... everything looked good and she has no soft markers for DS so although it doesnt rule it out completely it has reassured me enough to have a more relaxed pregnancy and not to worry about what will be so much.. good luck with your decison, I do know how you feel xx

I suppose a good point is that I get the detailed scan before the amnio, maybe that will help me make up my mind!! Can't believe I have to wait another 3 weeks though!! Hoping it will go quickly with it being xmas!! xx

Mine was 1 in 180 and i decided not to go for the amnio because of the risk of miscarriage. I figured for me there are worse things in life than Down syndrome. The way i looked at it was even if i found out the baby had downs would i abort. My answer was no. So maybe if you look at it that way it might help. Good Luck.x

I decided not to have the bloods done as, whatever the result I would never have had an amnio and I wouldn't have liked to know what the risk numbers were as it would only have made me worry and I just didn't need that.

Mr Foo kind of wanted to do the bloods and his argument was, it would be good to be prepared. However, I took the view that it would be pointless "preparing" for something that might never happen, even if you were in the high risk group. Even if a baby is born with DS, it's not as if you need to know everything immediately, and as a newborn you feed, clothe and change them no matter what. Everything else you learn as you go along.

Whatever the result of the amnio, nothing would change for me, I would still want to go ahead with the pregnancy so to me there was no point in having it, given the associated risks (even though they are relatively small)

This has to be a personal decision, it was pretty much the only one Mr Foo had no influence on. Only you know what you would do with the information and if it would make you feel better to get a more certain result, although I don't think even amnio is 100% is it? Ask yourself why you would want to know and how it would feel to get either result, then decide if you want to go ahead. The 20 week scan whould give you a little more information also, so that will help.

Hi there

I had my bloods done last week and my mw said that my health authority don't notify you of the result, or offer an amnio unless your risk is greater than 1:200.

As the others have said it's a personal decision, and one you don't have to make until you've had your next scan. xx

my midwife said anything above n up to 1:250 is still classed as low risk i think as others say its a personal choice as foogirl says only u know what ud do with the info good luck hun

I had the scan for DS as I took the advantage of having another scan...(I'm nervous due to 2 previous mc's)... hubby and talked it through and decided that whatever the neck/blood results we wouldn't have the amnio as the results didn't matter. There would be no way that we would of aborted... luckily for us, my results came back low risk..

Whatever you decide, there is no right or wrong decision. You have to do what's right for you and your partner.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"