1:270 risk for down's...amnio??

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by louise85, Dec 14, 2009.

  1. louise85

    louise85 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi everyone, Sorry for posting in 2nd but not many ladies seem to have gone through this in 1st.

    I had my detailed scan last week after a high nuchal measurement, at first it was measured above 3mm (I think about 3.8mm) by two different midwives at my local hospital so got referred for detailed scan.

    At this one the measurement was 2.8mm with no other soft markers, my risk was 1:89 (I'm 24) so I opted to have my bloods done as the CVS miscarriage rate was really high (1 in 75).

    Had the phone call today she said I'm now low risk but my odds are still 1:270! So I'm still really worried!

    I am booked for another detailed scan on 4th Jan where I can also have amnio if I wish. Any advice or anyone been in a similar situation?? I don't know what to do for the best!! :nope:
     
  2. Miss_Bump

    Miss_Bump Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Messages:
    7,564
    Likes Received:
    47
    hi hun sorry ive got no advice other than :hugs: and i hope everything turns out ok for you.

    1/270 works out as 0.37% of your little one having DS

    Hope this helps
    xx
     
  3. louise85

    louise85 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0
    It does seem better worked out as percentage!! I've got 3 weeks to make the decision, I think it will always be at the back of my mind if I don't do the amnio x
     
  4. Miss_Bump

    Miss_Bump Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Messages:
    7,564
    Likes Received:
    47
    Do what you feel you need to do i cant even imagine how hard it must be.
    Whatever you decide make sure its your decision and its the right one for you guys. Dont let anyone sway you or tell you that you MUST do this or you CANT do that. Do you what you need hun :hugs:
    xx
     
  5. debgreasby

    debgreasby Happy Mummy!

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Messages:
    5,538
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm glad i had the CVS done coz i need to know one way or another. My situation is way different to yours though.

    1 in 270 still means there is a 269 chance that everything is fine.

    Will keep my fx'd for you xxx
     
  6. bunnyhop

    bunnyhop Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    943
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think as your bloods are low risk i would try and not to worry x
     
  7. louise85

    louise85 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you. I can't imagine what your going through I'm so sorry, your such a lovely lady :hugs: xxx
     
  8. Emx

    Emx Mum/Cautiously pregnant

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    Messages:
    1,675
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had a 1-50 risk and decided against an amnio or CVS as the risk of invasive testing was too much for us personally.. its is such a personal decision and so many personal factors have to be taken into consideration...

    I waited until 20 weeks to have a very detailed anomoly scan... everything looked good and she has no soft markers for DS so although it doesnt rule it out completely it has reassured me enough to have a more relaxed pregnancy and not to worry about what will be so much.. good luck with your decison, I do know how you feel xx
     
  9. louise85

    louise85 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0
    I suppose a good point is that I get the detailed scan before the amnio, maybe that will help me make up my mind!! Can't believe I have to wait another 3 weeks though!! Hoping it will go quickly with it being xmas!! xx
     
  10. titch40

    titch40 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2009
    Messages:
    134
    Likes Received:
    0
    Mine was 1 in 180 and i decided not to go for the amnio because of the risk of miscarriage. I figured for me there are worse things in life than Down syndrome. The way i looked at it was even if i found out the baby had downs would i abort. My answer was no. So maybe if you look at it that way it might help. Good Luck.x
     
  11. Foogirl

    Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Messages:
    6,889
    Likes Received:
    0
    I decided not to have the bloods done as, whatever the result I would never have had an amnio and I wouldn't have liked to know what the risk numbers were as it would only have made me worry and I just didn't need that.

    Mr Foo kind of wanted to do the bloods and his argument was, it would be good to be prepared. However, I took the view that it would be pointless "preparing" for something that might never happen, even if you were in the high risk group. Even if a baby is born with DS, it's not as if you need to know everything immediately, and as a newborn you feed, clothe and change them no matter what. Everything else you learn as you go along.

    Whatever the result of the amnio, nothing would change for me, I would still want to go ahead with the pregnancy so to me there was no point in having it, given the associated risks (even though they are relatively small)

    This has to be a personal decision, it was pretty much the only one Mr Foo had no influence on. Only you know what you would do with the information and if it would make you feel better to get a more certain result, although I don't think even amnio is 100% is it? Ask yourself why you would want to know and how it would feel to get either result, then decide if you want to go ahead. The 20 week scan whould give you a little more information also, so that will help.
     
  12. cb1

    cb1 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    Messages:
    842
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi there

    I had my bloods done last week and my mw said that my health authority don't notify you of the result, or offer an amnio unless your risk is greater than 1:200.

    As the others have said it's a personal decision, and one you don't have to make until you've had your next scan. xx
     
  13. mommy43

    mommy43 isabel's mummy

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Messages:
    2,724
    Likes Received:
    0
    my midwife said anything above n up to 1:250 is still classed as low risk i think as others say its a personal choice as foogirl says only u know what ud do with the info good luck hun
     
  14. Sazzoire

    Sazzoire Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2009
    Messages:
    2,082
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had the scan for DS as I took the advantage of having another scan...(I'm nervous due to 2 previous mc's)... hubby and talked it through and decided that whatever the neck/blood results we wouldn't have the amnio as the results didn't matter. There would be no way that we would of aborted... luckily for us, my results came back low risk..

    Whatever you decide, there is no right or wrong decision. You have to do what's right for you and your partner.

    :hugs:
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice