10 day luteal phase advice needed!

rdleela

Reaction score
So I was getting really excited about this 4th cycle b/c I just started charting and confirmed ovulation, until I figured out my luteal phase lengths, which aren't great.

Cycle 1 was 10 days, but no confirmed o, just went by OPK's
Cycle 2 was 9 days, "
Cycle 3 was 10 days, "

So far this cycle I'm 5dp, I took SOY days 5-9 and everything is looking great except my luteal phase length...

Should I start taking VB100 complex tomorrow?!?! I am so happy to be charting this month and getting an accurate phase length; I will be seeing my doctor in January for my yearly, so I'll have some charting proof!

Any ladies out there have any advice for me??

I also have a 10 day luteal phase and my doctor didn't seem to be concerned about it. She said not to take any supplements but to wait till it's been 6 months and if I'm not pregnant to come for more tests. If you are going to see your doctor in January she might want to see your charts or do some tests and taking any supplements can throw them off. That being said, lots of people take supplements, so maybe that is the way to go :) maybe I'm being too complacent about it :)

I found this in an old post from 2008 that answers my question on taking B100 this "late in the game" lol, and I think applies to me b/c from my chart it looks like I am producing progesterone, but having a 10 day luteal, just maybe not for long enough.

"I think this late in the game, natural progesterone cream might be your best bet. Vit B6 is supposed promote the health of the follicle as it matures. Because it makes the follicle healthier, the corpus luteum (what is left behind when the follicle pops off) is also thus healthier and produces progesterone for a longer period of time (if your LP was short and the corpus luteum was causing it to be so short). Since your egg has already popped off. I don't see how B6.B-Complex will help at this point in time, Natural progesterone cream however might if progesterone is what you lack." by Vestirse

As for whether B6 can throw off your charts, I'm reading through that really long thread on B6 and short luteal phases to see if any of those other ladies found that!

I also have a ten day luteal phase, though I'm recently off BC, so I'm sure I'm still adjusting. Either way, I went ahead and started Vitex at the beginning of this cycle, with red raspberry leaf tea, to try to lengthen it. I've read that that combination works very well together. I'm taking them throughout my cycle, so we'll see, I just ovulated a few days ago.

I believe 10 days is considered ok, i wish mine was 10! So far mine is 6 or 7 days - eeek!!

I have an appointment with my doctor tommorrow morning to ask for recommendations on what to take to increase this. I though tit was safer to check than self diagnose remedies.

I'll let you know what she says

x

I also have a ten day luteal phase, though I'm recently off BC, so I'm sure I'm still adjusting. Either way, I went ahead and started Vitex at the beginning of this cycle, with red raspberry leaf tea, to try to lengthen it. I've read that that combination works very well together. I'm taking them throughout my cycle, so we'll see, I just ovulated a few days ago.

Please keep me updated on whether Vitex and red raspberry lengthen your luteal phase! I am only going to try B100 complex for this next cycle. By looking at my chart you can clearly see my temp starts dropping off way too soon, so I think the corpus luteum just isn't producing progesterone long enough. Which B100 complex is supposed to help! So I just can't wait to get this next cycle started already! I am toying with the idea of using progesterone cream after I ovulate...also I took soy this cycle for the first time, no side effects, so I MIGHT do that again, still deciding.

Excellent reading for anyone with a short-side luteal phase: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/HelpCenter/ffhandbook.html

Read the details on hormones, and then there are specific short luteal phase charts towards the end, and also some stats on coming off of birth control, related to age!

I believe 10 days is considered ok, i wish mine was 10! So far mine is 6 or 7 days - eeek!!

I have an appointment with my doctor tommorrow morning to ask for recommendations on what to take to increase this. I though tit was safer to check than self diagnose remedies.

x

Hope your dr's appt went ok!! Do you have any updates for us? Any plans on what you'll take? Did you just come off of bcp?

I also have a 10-day luteal phase, and started on 50 mg of B6, planning to go up to 100 next cycle if I don't get pg. Also using progesterone cream for the second half of my cycle this month. I am fairly certain that a progesterone deficiency explains my short luteal phase and my inability to get pg (I had a chemical before). I have other signs of progesterone deficiency, for example, my doctors have told me I have fibrocystic breasts. Some people don't feel comfortable using the cream, but after doing a lot of research on it, I decided it was a good choice for me with relatively few, if any, risks. But if you are looking for something simpler, I highly recommend starting with a B6 supplement. A lot of women have had success with it--you could start small with 50 then go up to 100 mg after a month. And make sure you take it with other B vitamins to help with absorption.

parker, when in the cycle do you start taking b6? do you take it throughout the whole cycle?

x

Hope your dr's appt went ok!! Do you have any updates for us? Any plans on what you'll take? Did you just come off of bcp?

Hi all, i have been off BCP for 9 months, been TTC for 8 months.

My doctor said that none of the herbal stuff works and its all in our head, as long as i take folic acid thats the main thing.

She is also said that 8 months is far too early to worry and that its still possible to get pregnant with our timing (she also scarily said the current referral time in our areas is ..... wait for it ..... 3 years!!!)

The main thing she said was that we should stop thinking about it and stressing about it as that is the worst thing you can do.

For now i am going to try chilling out and see what happens the next two cycles till after christmas. After that i may re think!!

xx

Just wanted to add that although it may sound like she fobbed me off and i am still a bit down about the whole TTC thing, she did actually make me feel a lot better, which is what i really needed!! xx

My doc said the same thing.
And though I agree with her (as I'm normally not into supplements or herbal medicine), I still might try something in the new year if all tests come back ok and she doesn't recommend anything else.
Placebo effect can be powerful. Also, if I'm taking some supplements, it might make me feel more relaxed thinking that I'm doing all I can, which in turn might help with conception :) For the next couple of months (assuming this cycle ever ends!) I'll take it easy as well and see if that helps.

This month I didn't start the B6 until late, but yes, you should take it throughout the whole cycle. Keep taking it during AF and throughout pre and post-ovulation. It can sometimes take a couple if months to have an effect based on what I have read, but some women see the results fairly quickly. You should only use the progesterone cream after you ovulate until AF arrives (and if you get pregnant, you keep using the progesterone cream through at least the first trimester). B6 is also safe to take while pregnant.

Please keep me updated on whether Vitex and red raspberry lengthen your luteal phase!

I will if nothing happens this month!

I also have a 10-day luteal phase, and started on 50 mg of B6, planning to go up to 100 next cycle if I don't get pg. Also using progesterone cream for the second half of my cycle this month. I am fairly certain that a progesterone deficiency explains my short luteal phase and my inability to get pg (I had a chemical before). I have other signs of progesterone deficiency, for example, my doctors have told me I have fibrocystic breasts. Some people don't feel comfortable using the cream, but after doing a lot of research on it, I decided it was a good choice for me with relatively few, if any, risks. But if you are looking for something simpler, I highly recommend starting with a B6 supplement. A lot of women have had success with it--you could start small with 50 then go up to 100 mg after a month. And make sure you take it with other B vitamins to help with absorption.

Thanks, Parker! I am actually planning the same as you now! My last cycle was actually a 9-day luteal phase, so I started taking B100 complex, which has 100mg B6 in it, and I also want to try the natural progesterone cream, but I'm in Canada and it's prescription only...I do have a Dr. I can go to that will probably have no problems giving me the prescription right away, so hopefully I can get some before I O next week.

I am also toying with the idea of trying my 2nd cycle of Soy, which I take day 5-9, b/c I had more EWCM cycle 4 than any other cycle, and I did confirm ovulation that cycle. I had no side effects, so I'm thinking I'll try it again.

Just wanted to add that although it may sound like she fobbed me off and i am still a bit down about the whole TTC thing, she did actually make me feel a lot better, which is what i really needed!! xx

I'm glad you are feeling better about it! I think that whatever we do while TTC, it has to be right for YOU...

My doc said the same thing.
And though I agree with her (as I'm normally not into supplements or herbal medicine), I still might try something in the new year if all tests come back ok and she doesn't recommend anything else.
Placebo effect can be powerful. Also, if I'm taking some supplements, it might make me feel more relaxed thinking that I'm doing all I can, which in turn might help with conception :) For the next couple of months (assuming this cycle ever ends!) I'll take it easy as well and see if that helps.

I know what you mean!! It is nice to feel like your doing something that will help!!! I am going to chill out about it for the next two months. My best friend is due to give birth in a week, so that may not help much :hissy: saw her last night and i am very excited before her despite being a complete green eyed monster!!

Anyway i am now CD 16, so ovulation should only be a few more days away. :happydance:

good luck everyone!! xx

My best friend is due to give birth in a week, so that may not help much :hissy: saw her last night and i am very excited before her despite being a complete green eyed monster!!

My best friend is due in December, so I know what you mean. Isn't it weird how we only feel jealous around certain people? I don't feel jealous around my friend at all, but I hate seeing other random pregnant people.

My best friend is due to give birth in a week, so that may not help much :hissy: saw her last night and i am very excited before her despite being a complete green eyed monster!!

My best friend is due in December, so I know what you mean. Isn't it weird how we only feel jealous around certain people? I don't feel jealous around my friend at all, but I hate seeing other random pregnant people.

I think its because you know your friends journeys etc and how much they wanted one! One of my other friends is due in a few months and she was TTC for almost two years. I am overjoyed for her!!

I guess with random people you just dont know what they went through or whether they wanted one etc.

xx

Well my luteal phase this month went from ten days to thirteen days. I did have some spotting before I had a full flow, but it was very mild. I took 1,000 mg of Vitex daily, that was the amount suggested on the bottle. And drank one cup of red raspberry leaf tea daily, it was 1,500 mg. Good luck ladies, remember to be patient, the vitex especially can take a few months to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->