10 day old eating all day!

VFTMOMMY

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a FTM and I've found some of these posts very helpful! But I'm now decided to post because I need help figuring this out... My 10 day old little boy has been eating what seems to be all day. He started at 9:00am and didnt stop until 3:30pm ( he had like 20min breaks in between) but he didnt seem satified at all he fell asleep at 4 and woke u 5:15 and started again...am I not producing enough milk? He's getting over 7 wet diapers a day and today i noticed he isnt pooping like he did before...it seems as if he passes gas and just a little poop comes with it but not a full dirty nappie

As anyone else gone through this? Is it normal for him to eat this much? Should i bottle feed just to make sure he's getting enough food?

What color is his poop?

It's possible he's just hungry, and it's possible you're not producing enough so he needs to eat more often. Are you sure his latch is OK? We had massive issues with latch in the beginning.

Are you emptying one boob before changing over to the other? If he isnt getting the hind milk (the stuff that fills them up and is full of the fat/goodness) because he isnt on the same boob for long enough that could be a reason?

Hi this is totally normal. My lo is 16 days old and did the exact same thing for a few days. I was worried too and asked my midwife who is also a lc about it who said it is very normal around this time as they usually go through a growth spurt around day 10 - 14. It is all part of building your supply and the fact your lo is having so many wet nappies is a really good sign! My LOs poopie nappies were exactly the same too and sometimes still are, also very normal. I really don't think you need to give your lo a bottle, in a few days he should settle down a bit, your doing great hun keep going! :)

ETA.. oh and the best advice I got was to feed lo from one boob until she comes off it and then offer the other one. This is def working for us as she is now starting to have longer sleeps after a feed as she is so full up.

Sounds completely normal! But make sure he eats up one boob completely before going to the next! Thats very important on establishing your supply. Also make sure you start on the breast you last left off on.

It does get easier. Promise. :)

He's establishing his food supply. ;) Sounds like a totally normal newborn to me! They can go for a while without poops. Mine usually pooped every 2-3 days. Breast milk is so full of exactly what they need that there is very little waste. Or at least that's what I've always been told. Once starting solids it was a different story. :p

Thanks for the advice :)
He's doing somewhat better..i usually dont switch breasts until he either latches off or i feel my breasf soft again...we are still practicing on getting a good latch! We sometimes get it right but we still have those moments that he latches on right and he adjusts his latch to a shallow one after eating for awhile

Sounds completely normal! But make sure he eats up one boob completely before going to the next! Thats very important on establishing your supply. Also make sure you start on the breast you last left off on.

It does get easier. Promise. :)

Sorry to high jack.

What do you mean make sure you start on the breast you last left off on?

If baby feeds from 1 breast then has has enough, on the next feed you'd use the other breast wouldn't you?

Sorry I'm a bit clueless lol

most babies eat from both breasts. So you want to start the next feed on the breast that LO used last on the previous feed.
If LO had enough from one breast during the last feed then yes you would want to do the next feed on the other breast.

Mama, it's completely normal. He's going through his first growth spurt and nursing around the clock for a few days is his way of increasing your supply. There's one between 2-3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 12 weeks, so be prepared for them. You will spend a few days around each time frame (and they are all approximate weeks, so they do not need to be right on) doing nothing but nursing to keep upping your supply.

During these times your baby may cry a lot as if he's starving, but he's not. He's just frustrated during this process. I promise he will be just fine so long as you can tough it out.

The first few months are when most women, who end up switching to formula, quit because they are under the assumption that they are not producing enough so they start to supplement.

I promise that, if you can just make it through these first three months, that nursing will then slow down some. You'll have longer breaks and a more content child. A breastfed baby will always eat more frequently than a formula fed baby, but again, this is completely normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->