10 days old not gained enough

Gen79

Reaction score
This is my 3rd baby and I bf the other 2 for over two years each, but this is new.

She was about 25 g off her birth weight yesterday so the midwife wouldn't sign us off yet. It means she only gained 15 g since day 5. Midwife said she's not concerned about her because she's healthy and alert, feeding, pooing and weeing OK. (Though I'm concerned she's feeding less than I thought, more on that to follow).

But they watched her latch and thought it was a bit shallow and more straw sucking like so helped me get her on better using nippel to nose technique. It definitely felt better but I haven't been able to replicate it since. Also neither of my other two ever had that perfect latch and they gained and grew fine.

The other thing is that she's so chill I'm not sure she's eating enough. She will be at the breast for 10 to 20 minutes and fall asleep for 2 to 3 hours. I thought she was feeding longer but paying more attention since the midwife visit I see that good active feeding doesn't last the 30 to 40 minutes I thought. She doesn't really cluster feed. She only wakes at about 3 am and 6 am (the past few nights anyway). Should I set an alarm to wake her more often? The 3 am feed this morning was only 10 minutes!

I think I'm going to go with a more managed approach and wake and feed more often at least in the day time but wondered what those with experience think?

I had a sleepy baby and would have to encourage him to feed longer than 5 minutes.

I found tickling his feet helped. Plus I'd let him feed and when he stopped I'd change his nappy and then offer a feed again. This only lasted a week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->