10 week old sleep pattern

Juicyg

Reaction score
Hi ya,

Just a question out of curiosity more than anything.

I've read that the average 3month old should sleep 5 hours in the day,over 3naps then 10 hours at night.
I would say my 10wk old gets that at night but the day time sleep is totally different.
For example today he has slept roughly 3.5 hours in total but over maybe 5 different nap times.

I breast feed also so not sure if that makes any difference or not?

Wondered what other people's babies were doing at 10wks old?

If he didn't sleep when he did I would have one cranky little dude on my hands lol!x

When you say 10 hours you don't mean straight through 10 hours at night??
My LO still feeds every 2 hours day and night and I would say has roughly 5-6 naps through the day too!

Lol no I don't mean 10 hours straight through...I wish! I meant in total of a night I think he generally roughly has 10hrs a night,when you take out the time it takes to feed him etc.
He is pretty good and generally goes roughly 2-3 hrs during the day between feeds and 3-4 hours in the night.
Good to hear that his naps aren't all that unusual if your little one is having as many as he is.
Wondered as I have a friend who says that her little one sometimes goes all day with about 30mins of napping! She is only a week older than my little dude!

Just shows that all babies are different I guess x

Phew! I was about to become super jealous of you for a minute!!
Yeh my LO does seem to be having more awake time just lately but still needs lots of naps to or else she would be super hard work I imagine!
I'm glad she is still having them tbh as she is difficult to entertain at this age and I can't seem to get anything done when she is awake as she won't be put down!

My lo is almost 10weeks and I'd say she sleeps 9/10hours at night (all in one go)

But nap time she cat naps (not out of choice but due to my loud toddler) I'd say roughly five hours during day perhaps but a lot more than 3 naps

Every baby is diff I'm sure that's just an average. My son didn't sleep like that at all he only napped for half hour at a time during the day every few hours

Nicki01 my little guy is like that,during the day he loves to be cuddled to sleep. I think it's the closeness and the heartbeat that they like but it does make it pretty impossible to do anything! In fact I'm typing one handed now with my little dude asleep on my chest! Lol!x

Librastar2828...your 10wk old is sleeping through?! You are so lucky! Can you share your secret lol? Any tips for getting my lo to do that?
If you don't mind me asking do you breast or bottle feed?
I'm breast feeding at the moment and have convinced myself that's why he gets up, cos it's easier to digest.

I think cat napping is fine as long as they get the sleep that they need as individuals that's all that matters

I know what you mean about a loud toddler too, my nephew is super loud (as is my sister lol!). They're around quite often so my lo is often disturbed, plus he is super nosey and doesnt want to miss a thing!!x

At 12 weeks though babies are supposed to sleep a full night all in one stretch. They should cut down feeds dramatically if not completely at night. Most 3 month olds sleep a minimum of 7-8 hrs straight at night. They should be feeding every 2-3 hrs anymore...

Oh maybe if your bf then that's completely different! Never mind then

Yeh I bottle feed and did so with my ds so no idea the difference with breast feeding..

Lol I think I just have a super lazy or contented baby it's not me because my son didn't sleep through until he was well past a year! However he always used to sleep longer when with the grandparents. I was super paranoid if he woke it was because he was hungry because of weight issues so used to feed him and he kind of got into a habit if only sleeping after a bottle.. So this time round I'm trying not to get into that habit.. I delay her with a dummy to settle her if she needs it but often doesn't.. I only feed her if she is really crying rather than just fussing which has helped in comparison with my ds.. But then again all babies are different.

She has a comforter too which helps her settle which could be an idea, but then again my ds had one and he was terrible.. And my lo was awful to at first as when she woke at night she would be awake for hours and had to be rocked or close to me to sleep. They are still quite little and although on average they sleep through at 3 months there are many that do not.. Perhaps seek advice with a health visior when you get them weighed to put your mind at ease that they may not need milk at night and to try training them off it..

But like I said all are different my two are opposites and again breast and bottle may affect this too.. Good luck though it won't last forever

My little guy is 10 weeks, EBF, and sleeps through the night about 8-9 hours. My firstborn was the same way at this age, if not earlier. I certainly don't think your little guy is waking at night because he's breastfed. I think it's just that all babies are different. I would say my LO sleeps a total of 5 hours during the day still, but it's usually in more than three naps.

As for getting them to sleep through the night, I don't really have any tips or tricks. The only thing I do differently is where he sleeps and that it's dark (which seems obvious, but I learned with my first that once the sun goes down, I should turn down the lights inside so he knows it's nighttime). We have a moses basket, so I keep it out in the living room during the day for naps and then move him in to our bedroom for overnight. And I also only swaddle him at night. Not sure if that makes a huge difference for him or if he's really noticed it yet, but babies do tend to thrive on routine, so I suppose that's our "bedtime routine" with him. lol

At 10 weeks my son would sleep from about 11PM-8AM with 1-2 night wakings. Then he would take 20 minute cat naps throughout the day. I don't think my son took a proper nap until 5-6 months old (though not from lack of trying on my part). Some babies just fight sleep I guess. You'd never know now bc he now sleeps 12 hours a night and takes two good naps a day.

Librastar when I talk to other bf mummies that have babies of a similar age or even older they talk about how lucky I am that he is doing what he is doing as they have their little ones up 3-4 times a night!
I am thankful my little dude isn't like that to be honest and I really do think the reason he wakes is cos of the breast milk thing.

To be honest we are going to wean him off of it once he is about 3 months as it takes a while to come completly off of it and to be honest I want my boobs back lol!

We use a dummy but sometimes i makes him more frustrated!
He also has a comforter but isn't interested in it! He is starting to self soothe with his thumb though so I think we will get there,it just prob won't be at 3 months.

He also has reflux too so I like to give him a cuddle to make him feel better too...I'm prob my own worst enemy lol!

Enjoy your little one who sleeps through and I will keep my fingers crossed my little fella will get there eventually ha ha x

Harley Quinn - omg I'm so jealous that your lo is sleeping like that lol! We have had a routine with him for a good few wks now,literally at 6.30 it's bath time then fed at 7pm with a couple of stories after then bed. Where it's completely dark apart from his light show and music playing,this then gets turned off once we go up to bed. He then gets fed again when we go up,usually at 11pm ish. Maybe he is just feeding out of habit...would he know this already?
As I say im not complaining too much as I know a lot of people who have it worse than me just would like to know the trick to get him to sleep through or drop a feed.

He has only slept a total of 2hrs today so maybe we will get a good night lol x

Ruby09,it sounds like your son and my son are on the same page at this age. As i said before im going to wean in a few weeks so maybe that will make a diff...prob won't though so not getting my hopes up x

My LO is 11 weeks today and is still 2 hourly, at a push 3 day and night!
My toddler was the same and at 3 weeks I stopped breast feeding and moved to formula and it made no difference! Just made my life harder if anything as I then had bottles to make up, wash and sterilise!
That's the reason I haven't stopped bf this time round, even tho she is still 2 hourly as I don't think formula has anything to do with it, each baby is different and I must just have frequent feeders!
My 2 yr old only just started sleeping through and still wakes up now and then and asks for a drink!

It could be that he's gotten used to eating at the same time every night, but I think mostly babies just like to eat when they are hungry.

I think I just lucked out by having bigger babies who have bigger tummies so they can fill them up and be good to go for the night. Or maybe it's genetic... My husband I both can sleep for 12-14 hours straight! We all just love to sleep!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->