10 Week Scan Vs. Dates

GFCarpenter

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just had my ten week scan last week! Baby looks great and all looks good to go. I just wanted a second thought or two about ovulation dates vs. scan dates.

I never knew anything about ovulation prior to pregnancy, I just tracked my periods (which ranged each month somewhere between 29 and 32 days) but I never tracked ovulation. My period tracker calendar says I ovulated on CD18 that month. We did do the deed that day, but he pulled out. However, on CD12 we had sex and he didn't pull out. We were doing the whole NTNP method. :flower:

My scan I had shows that the baby is measuring perfectly with the day we didn't try to prevent it (CD12). My question is, can ovulation happen that early in a 28-32 day cycle?

Ovulation is a tricky thing! I tracked ovulation by knowing how my body reacted when I ovulated. But this time around I was like a week late. I don't know why it can be unpredictable, but it can be. Also keep in mind that supermarket can live up to 7 days in the woman.

Thanks, Xpecta. After learning so much about ovulation in the past couple of weeks, it's fascinating! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't weird or anything.

It's definitely possible. Sperm can live up to around 5 days inside you, which would take you between day 12 and 17. And an 'average' Luteal phase of 14 days could work with a cycle ranging from 28-32 days. Without tracking ovulation you can't know your Luteal phase length exactly, but it's definitely possible you conceived from the time you didn't prevent.
Also, scans can be out a few days either way. The most important thing is that you've had a great scan and things are going well. Congratulations! xxxxxxx

While I do agree that sperm can live for many days, that should not affect your conception day, which is when you ovulate and conceive within 12-24 hours. Early scans can be up to a week off, but mine have always seem to be spot on to conception day. So it looks like you had an earlier than usual o. Congrats on your bfp! My o ranges from 12-25.

Thanks guys! I believe I had an early o too. I had just gotten back from a fun vacation with my friends that was totally stress-free, we weren't even focused on cycle days or anything, and things flowed naturally between us. I know scan dates have a small margin of error, but I think they were pretty spot on. In fact, I was actually 10+5 and the sonographer measured me 10+6 so not quite perfect, but close enough. ��

CD12 is when you dtd, not necessarily when you ovulated. Sperm can live 3-5 days so you could have ovulated several days later. Scans are not an exact science either. Some weeks you might measure behind then the next week you have caught up or you measure ahead.

The other thing is you possibly might have had a shorter cycle that cycle but never knew because you conceived instead. Eg you ovulated day 12 and were going to have a 26 day cycle. Hope that helps :)

I understand. It's a tricky thing for sure! I just thought it was pretty dead on from dtd and scans, although I've read there's usually wiggle room for 3-5 days error (hence the supermarket lasting that long as well). I looked through my period tracker and noticed I had a 32 day cycle two months prior which threw off my tracker completely (we'd traveled a lot that month, and I bought my first huge purchase which probably set it off due to stress). Majority of my cycles were more like 30 days, so even if I did ovulate CD12-14, it wouldn't be terrible I'd imagine. Right? Lol

I am not the norm at all. I have a clockwork textbook 28 day cycle yet I ovulate incredibly early in my cycle being able to pull positives on pregnancy tests 8-10 days BEFORE my period in all five of my successful pregnancies so that 3-4days before my period I can pull dark dark positives. Also, over time my due dates always moved because at first the doctors refused to believe me using the classic 28 day period due date. Eventually they always ended up moving the due date earlier as the scans consistently showed my babies ahead of their due date.

Wow! That's pretty awesome. With 8-10 days I imagine you're a super early ovulater lol When I tested I had just gotten home from work in the evening. I took one cheapie that was a dark positive and a ClearBlue. That was supposed to be the day a 30 day period started. This stuff is fascinating. Especially seeing other people's experiences. I definitely don't feel crazy anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->