10 wks...having to wait til 20 wks for next scan...

michelle8733

Mom to Scarlett Grace
Reaction score
I had a scan last Thursday when I was 9 weeks 4 days. Everything looked great, we got to see and hear the baby's heartbeat (167 bpm), got to see him/her moving around, and measured out one day ahead at 9 weeks 5 days. My next appointment with the doctor is Dec. 30th but as they were setting up that appointment, they informed me that I most likely wouldn't have another scan until I was about 20 weeks along. Is it just me or does that seem like such a long time to wait between scans? This is our first pregnancy so I'm not sure the typical guidelines and how often people usually get ultrasounds.

It does seem quite long but i had my scan at almost 12 weeks and my next one isn't until 20 weeks either :( x

It is a long time... With my daughter I only had a 20 week scan.. They stopped 12 weeks ones... Luckily they are doing 12 week ones again x

That's totally normal around here. With my first 3 pregnancies, I didn't have any scans at all until 20 weeks, and none after. I didn't have complications though.

Here we get one between 11 and 13 weeks then one at 20. I'm sure it will fly in.

In the UK you get 2 scans total if you have a "low risk" pregnancy. The first at 11-13 weeks and the second at 19-21 weeks.

My cousin is in Ireland and she had a scan at 9 weeks because she was having pain and when she turned up for her 12 week scan (which is at 14 weeks in Ireland for some reason) she was sent home and told that she was only entitled to 2 scans and that she wouldn't be having one that day! The second scan in Ireland is at 30 weeks! So she had a LONG time to wait!!!

Could you not get private scan?

I had one on Saturday and it was amazing. I haven't even got a date for my 12 week scan yet and there's no way I could wait lol

Unfortunately, it's pretty standard in the U.S. to not get an ultrasound until 20 weeks, also known as the "anatomy scan"...fingers, toes get counted, limbs are all accounted for, major organs are checked, and then, the gender, if you so choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->