10yr old just wants to play computer all day

julietz

Reaction score
Is it normal that a 10 yr old boy just wants to play computer games all day, of course i demand breaks, but he just wants to go on his games and online with friends on the xbox, instead of the older days friends would play out, now they just stay in and play games, i sorted all his toys out other day, he doesnt use them anymore so giving them to school fayer, is this accepting my little boy is growing up? sometimes when he smells me cooking dinner he growls at me " your not making dinner are you" like its a chore to stop the game and eat, soon of school for xmas hols any ideas what i can do or suggest to play his game less?

In all honesty, IMO, if its excessive as you say, i'd take it off him. Having that console is a privilege, not a right- and he seems to be taking that for granted. Maybe plan a few days out?? And say he can have a few hours on his game console for good behaviour. Does he like any sports? Does he play on the football games? Maybe get him a goal for the back garden, and a football so he can play with it outside?

I suppose it depends on how tough you want to be really.

It is completely normal, especially these days.. Hubby is bout to be 32 and I have to pry him away sometimes lol.. My daughter is 9 and also loves computer games, xbox, and Wii. I just try and limit her time on them and get her to go outside and play. So hard these days to let them just go out.. So much more danger out there than when I was a kid.

I think it's totally normal... especially now a days (gawd that makes me feel old)- LOL... BUT... I don't think it should be the norm. I think as parents we need to encourage, and yes, sometimes force our kids to get away from the TV, WII, Video Games, Computer or social networks and GET OUT! Or read a book... or have a friend over and do some crafts. It's not easy- I'm not gonna lie... LOL... but personally, I feel it's important for our kids so they are well rounded and know there is more to life than what they can "turn on" and watch... interactive or not.

My SD asked me what I did when I had my cell phone taken away as a kid... I was like, um, we didn't have cell phones then! LOL. The look of shock and horror on her face was priceless... I think I then took away her cell phone and told her to go play outside! LOL. Lucky she loves books and being social with her friends- but she would certainly spend a LOT more time on FB or watching TV or texting if we let her... ;)

You are the adult you set the rules, yes given the chance my son would be on the DS or computer every day but he is not allowed, if he has been good at school he can play for maybe an hour and a half at home. But he also has his younger sister who wants to play with him. I think you have to deal with this now before it becomes more of a problem, I know a couple of kids who have actually become addicted and get very grumpy if disturbed or have to come away from the computers. We have decided that no games condoes are allowed but he can use a computer to play games so at least he can learn how to use the computer... The DS is mine.. But used as a reward.

I'd say it's normal - but it's also within your rights to limit his time. And it'd probably be good for you to do so. The boy needs more than one hobby! First I'd make sure he is at the least getting homework done before touching games at all. Then have a designated "shut it off" time of day. In our house it is 7pm. Absolutely no gaming after 7 or dinner. There are plenty of other things they can do. But you may have to help him figure those things out.

Jasper is almost 9 and he is on the computer once or twice a week, but his 3DS and his DSi we have had to set limits on it. I would set time limits...and make sure homework comes first. I flick off the TV and take games and Wii away and it is amazing what creative play comes about...from fort making, bike riding, bake sales on the boulevard, etc. It's quite neat to see. Also, why not put him in a sport?

My 10 year old son Is like that too. He would play his Xbox live all day and night if we let him! We kinda get strict and tell him to come off it and when his friends call for him we make him go out with them. Today he spent 3 hours outside playing football. I think it's a case of finding a healthy balance xx

I think it also depends on what the weather is like. As we are just coming out of winter here (thank god!!) my boys spend longer on their computers than they would during the summer which I don't mind.

When the weather is nice enough they get kicked outside to play, most of the time they would rather go out and play anyway so not really a problem.

Like others have said though, I would limit the amount of time your LO is playing on the comp so that they are not on it for hours at a time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->