11 month old refusing to nurse - gutted, need advice please

Pielette

Mum to little men
Reaction score
My 11 month old refused to nurse this morning. I tried for an hour on and off but he just wasn't interested and chewed on me more than anything else. I pumped and got letdown to happen but even then he didn't want to know :nope:

I'm now quite worried that he might be going on a nursing strike. When I pump I get a few drops, I don't respond well to it anymore so I don't know how I would manage to keep my supply up if this is what's going on.

He's only on two feeds a day now, he dropped his afternoon one in the last week as well. I'm really not ready for this to be over so if you have any advice on how to get through it with my supply intact I'd be very grateful.

I also never wanted to give him formula but I guess I'm going to have to if he won't nurse? I gave him a small cup of cow's milk after breakfast which he drank.

I find that around sleep times is the best time to get a striking baby to breastfeed. Either just before nap, just after, even during. Most importantly don't push it. If he isn't interested try again later of nursing will become something to resist.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Is he teething? Or has your supply had any changes (ovulation, AF, pregnancy)

Thank you so much for your reply Celesse.

I'll try again tomorrow morning in his room in the dark - I usually bring him into our bedroom but it's lighter so maybe that didn't help. And if I catch him when he's still sleepy hopefully that will help.

I have just had my first AF since his birth but I didn't notice him being fussy or any drop in my supply. Can it change the taste?

I find that around sleep times is the best time to get a striking baby to breastfeed. Either just before nap, just after, even during. Most importantly don't push it. If he isn't interested try again later of nursing will become something to resist.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? Is he teething? Or has your supply had any changes (ovulation, AF, pregnancy)
:thumbup:

Most babies do this at some point or other. It doesn't mean he is weaning :) It's ok. I agree with don't push it. Let him come to you.

And...dream feed him. Go to him when he's asleep and offer your breast. He may just latch on while asleep and not even know he did :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->