11 Week Appointment... Too Long?

heather2629

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new around here, but am hoping this question is a) not something over-asked and b) something that can be answered! Please forgive me otherwise.

I'm 5 weeks with my first pregnancy, and I'm terrified of every little thing my body does. The thought of losing this miracle just tears me up! I called my doctor today and they can't get me in for my first appointment and scan until Nov. 24. That puts me at 11 weeks.

I know many people got their scans at 8, but the doctor said there's just no availability and "to wait it out."

Since this is my first, I'm so nervous about waiting until 11 weeks. I just want to know that everything is fine, and I feel like I can't make it that long. What if something is wrong and I go on blissfully unaware until then? I'd be devastated.

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions? What would you do? I don't really want to change clinics, but I guess that's an option, maybe? Not sure.

I appreciate any stories or thoughts. Thanks!

With my first ever pregnancy I went in the first time at around 8 weeks mainly to fill out paperwork. Doctor just checked to make sure cervix was close and that was that. I was not going to have my first scan until 12 weeks. I ended up having it at 10 weeks due to bleeding found out Blighted Ovum and Missed Miscarriage.

Second pregnancy I was watched closely for my HCG levels making sure they rose. And then at 8 weeks (which I was 7 weeks 1 day) I had a scan to give me comfort due to my prior pregnancy. I had another at 9 weeks 5 and that was it until 20 weeks for scanning. Otherwise I went in again at 14 weeks and waited until 20 weeks for next Dr. visit/scan.

Third pregnancy ended quickly (4 weeks 1 day)

Forth pregnancy ended quickly ( 5 weeks 2 days)

Fifth pregnancy (current) going well. I was closely monitored first two weeks for doubling HCG. I will be going for early scan for two reasons. 1) not sure on due date since I can be anywhere between 5.5 and 6.5 today. So it's a dating scan and 2) to make sure something is there.

Most people in my area (Wisconsin, USA) see the Doctor first time at 8 weeks mainly to go over paperwork and a quick look at how pregnancy is going (closed cervix, you aren't too big with bump etc.) Then the first scan is at 12 weeks.

I hope that answered some questions for you.

Butterflywolf,

Thanks for sharing your story! It does answer some questions, and I appreciate it! Best wishes with your current pregnancy!

The waiting is defintely hard!

In the UK we don't usually have scans until about 12 weeks - i have mine booked in on Tuesday when i'll be 13w3d. The waiting is killing me, especially after a mc in June and the fact that my original scan was booked for Monday just gone and cancelled due to an NHS strike that day!

Fingers crossed the next 6 weeks go quickly for you x

The waiting is defintely hard!

In the UK we don't usually have scans until about 12 weeks - i have mine booked in on Tuesday when i'll be 13w3d. The waiting is killing me, especially after a mc in June and the fact that my original scan was booked for Monday just gone and cancelled due to an NHS strike that day!

Fingers crossed the next 6 weeks go quickly for you x

Good luck on your visit Tuesday! I'm just so nervous. Since this is my first pregnancy, I have all these fears and paranoia. Not to mention I'm incredibly impatient! I just want to have them say, "Yep, there's a baby in there, see you back here at the 11 week mark" beforehand.

I agree with your last post 100%. I feel the same way. Why can't they just give us first timers some slack?

Yeah in the UK first scan is 12 weeks, up until then Ive just got blood pressure checks and blood taking appointments. Having early scans due to pain and had an mc last year so has one at 5 weeks and one tomorrow at 7 weeks xxx

I agree with your last post 100%. I feel the same way. Why can't they just give us first timers some slack?

CrystalJMM, we're just gonna have to stick together to keep each other positive and patient (two things I'm not very good at being...!)

Robin1990 - thanks for the input! Hope all goes well with your scan tomorrow!

UPDATE:

Ladies, I caved. I called a different clinic and I now have an 8 week appointment. Instead of Nov. 24, I'm in on Nov. 5. Maybe I'm silly, but it makes me feel SO much better. Besides, this doctor is only 8 minutes from home, whereas the other was a full 35 minutes.

Patience will come to me eventually, it just wasn't today!

I think that was the right choice. It's about what makes YOU comfortable and I think it's completely reasonable to have an exam before 11 weeks. :)

I think that was the right choice. It's about what makes YOU comfortable and I think it's completely reasonable to have an exam before 11 weeks. :)

Thanks for the support! Man, it's nice to have people to vent to/ask advice. Since I haven't told anyone about my pregnancy yet (again, that paranoia), it's so great to have people here I can work this out with!

did you have your first appointment yet? this isnt the scan im talking about. i had my first midwife appointment 4wks + 6 and they told me they couldnt scan me and see baby and heartbeat for another 4 weeks(8 weeks + 6 days) because baby is just too small for them any other time. im glad though that i did make the first initial appointment because they told me what i NEED to take in regards of prenatals and how many a day instead of the one i was just taking. they also gave me alot of advice and helpful info about my daily activities and diet. they also took about 7 tubes of my blood, ofcourse urine as they do with everyone, and measured my uterus which was good in size. i have had some extremely minor scares in my 5th week but when i went back to the doctor he told me to not worry at all about it because from what he knows and can see, everything is progressing well and there was no reason to worry. and he was right! although i was mad at first because he seemed to not answer my other questions thoroughly. so if you do have worries in between waiting time like i did, just make an appointment and see if you could come in that day and they will reassure you with what's going on with your body at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->