bit stupid. Everyone needs to compete. Kids who have never lost to anything will have a massive shock come exams and getting a job :\ however, winning isnt everything!

There should be points for taking part, but more points for someone who has won.

Where is the drive to compete and be the best you can be of everyone gets the same!?

It annoys me too!!!!! whats the point if everyone gets the same prize, imo its not fair to the ones who put the effort in and lets be fair deserve it......... its starting early now to with things like.... giving every child a sticker in pre-school 'to be fair' or making sure everyone gets a turn in pass the parcel............... children are starting to grow up knowing they will be rewarded regardless. It's one of my pet peeves,

children need to learn they dont always win, they wont always get a prize but as long as they took part had fun and tried their best thats all that matters, and also it then makes winning that little bit more special x

I think it is a bit silly that they have started doing this. What's the point of not teaching competition to kids, when as soon as they leave school they are in fierce competition for Uni places, jobs, within the workplace etc.

We had sports days at school, this is where I learnt I was crap at sports! I was more academic, I got A's all the time. I would be pretty pissed if I'd worked my arse off to get an A & someone got an A just so they didn't get upset.

PS - my family use "second place is the first of the losers!"

Wow. I can't believe I'm the first one to this thread that doesn't agree!!! There's a difference in teaching kids to try hard to achieve their best/ reach their potential and teaching them that winning is everything. Really, second place is the first loser?? I've never heard anything more ridiculous. I am not at all competitive, I couldn't give a toss who wins family games or any games for that matter, for me it's the taking part that counts. I still have goals, I am aware of my potential and whether I've achieved it or not, I don't need to beat anyone else to know this. IMO the teacher wasn't necessarily right to give everyone a house point but there's a fine line. IF you choose to go down the athletic/ sporting route that attitude is perfectly acceptable but then the child is aware of what the consequences of that are ie possible disappointment. Maybe if we spent time boosting children's self esteem in schools rather than teaching conpetitiveness, we'd have more success. What a waffley response, sorry!!

I like the saying 'sometimes you have to loose to win' no point giving winners and loosers the same prize imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->