12 week scan, gestational sac measuring 8 weeks and no embryo

caz_hills

Reaction score
Can anyone advise?

We had our 12 week scan at 12+5 yesterday. There was a sac measuring 8 weeks roughly, 23 mm, and no embryo. There was no amniotic sac and no yolk sac.

This morning we spoke to the consultant at the early pregnancy unit and we know more which (sort of) helps. So basically the scan showed a gestational sac measuring about 8 weeks (we think we are 12 weeks and 5 days) and no embryo. They would expect an embryo by 6-7 weeks pregnant. They said that NICE / NHS guidelines say that due to this scan they cannot do anything with us until we scan again in a week. So they cannot 'formally' say we have lost the baby as there may be a very outside chance that my dates are completely wrong and baby could be there and grow. So we are booked back in for another scan on Tuesday and need to let nature take its course until then.

They have managed our expectations that the scan on Tuesday will confirm that baby has gone or there may be a very small chance that my dates are so wrong that baby is only 8 weeks and we may see the embryo and heart beat. If there is no embryo on Tuesday, then we will have to look at options to ‘manage’ (their word) the loss.

I know I ovulated (had a positive stick) and my periods I've been tracking for months. So I'm reasonably sure of my dates.

My OH is thinking the worst but I know miracles can happen - but realistically, I doubt it but this has given me some hope although I don't think that is really helpful to be honest.

What do you think? Is there any hope? x

Do you remember when you got your positive test? The absolute earliest that one can test positive is at about 3-4 weeks, so if your BFP was 4-5 weeks or more ago that would show that the pregnancy is significantly delayed.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it is a stressful time. I have had it happen to me.

I've been back through all my dates.

My LMP started on 29th May, which makes me 12 + 5 I think. I tested on 1st July and i said I was 2-3 weeks pregnant. This was therefore 8 weeks ago.

What do you think? What do you mean by signficiantly delayed. Thanks SO much for your help x

Do you remember when you got your positive test? The absolute earliest that one can test positive is at about 3-4 weeks, so if your BFP was 4-5 weeks or more ago that would show that the pregnancy is significantly delayed.

I'm sorry you are going through this, it is a stressful time. I have had it happen to me.

Unfortunately I don't think it's good news. If you tested positive 8 weeks ago and showed a 2-3, then the minimum age of the pregnancy would be about 10-11 weeks and at that time there is certain to be something showing on an ultrasound.

Last year I had a 12 week scan that showed a 6 week fetus with no heartbeat. I had tested positive 8 weeks and 1 day before the scan. By LMP I was about 13 weeks. I really hope that I am wrong about you, but I think you should prepare yourself.

Thanks it's what I feared. I've spent this morning looking online as the sac size, what it should be at 12 weeks etc. And rechecking my dates. Obviously I could be wrong but I know when my period started and I know it's roughly 28-32 days so not completely regular but within 4 days, not 4 weeks.

I appreciate your reply. I just need to wait it out and see what happens. Thanks for your time it means a lot. xxx :hugs:

Unfortunately I don't think it's good news. If you tested positive 8 weeks ago and showed a 2-3, then the minimum age of the pregnancy would be about 10-11 weeks and at that time there is certain to be something showing on an ultrasound.

Last year I had a 12 week scan that showed a 6 week fetus with no heartbeat. I had tested positive 8 weeks and 1 day before the scan. By LMP I was about 13 weeks. I really hope that I am wrong about you, but I think you should prepare yourself.

I think sadly it doesn't sound very hopeful and I eould be preparing myself for the worst. I'm so sorry, it's an absolute awful thing to go through x

I've had the same thing today I'm 12+4 sac has grown but baby hasn't :( so sorry praying for you xxx

Thanks my dear. And I am desperately sorry to hear your news as well.

Do you have to go back for another scan next week, that is what I have to do. I keep hoping that maybe it will be good news, a miracle so to speak, but expect the worst.

xxx :hugs:

I've had the same thing today I'm 12+4 sac has grown but baby hasn't :( so sorry praying for you xxx

They gave me 3 options, d&c, medication or wait a week I opted to wait a week so going back next Wednesday hoping I don't need them to intervene.

Good luck for you scan sweet xx

And good luck for you too. Be thinking of you, take care x

Hi, just wanted to let you know I'm going through the same thing. Have had 3 scans so far and I've been hopeful at all of them since the sac was still growing... But it has stopped now at 8 weeks. Almost 10 weeks along and it's stuck at 8 weeks. I'm scheduled in Wednesday for a d&c and to have a cyst removed from my ovary. My Dr keeps telling me that if I miscarry on my own I'll bleed a lot, and the cyst keeps growing and is now bigger than a grapefruit, so only time before it bursts. May as well get it all taken care of at once.

Mod19 I'm so sorry to hear your news too and about the cyst.
It sounds like the d and c is best as they have to get the cyst out too.
This is so harsh on us all.
Huge hugs and keep us posted on how it goes x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"