13month old wont eat lumps help!!!!!!!!

dippy

Reaction score
hi all. hope u r all ok and little 1s.

well my lil girl is nearly 14 months but 11 months corrected (26 weeker) but im struggling with mealtimes.
in fact i dread them soooo much they literally sometimes make me cry.
she wont eat anything with lumps in them and just spits them out, stores them in her mouth until its pure liquid or gags and makes herself vomit.

i resort to giving her baby food slush as i worry she'll go 2 bed hungry as she whinges in her sleep if shes hungry and is up at 4am if shes not satisfied.

its just really stressin me out and getting me down as shes not talking yet and i know its all liked 2 speech.

we already have the issue of dealing with prematurity and blame every down fall on prematurity but im wondering whether that is the case.

is she fussy/picky?
lazy?

i just dont know what 2 do as iv tried everything from fruit, veg, meat, chicken, cheese, rice pasta, bread anything and everything. shell eat yoghurts and custard but nothing with even the smallest lumps in it. shell cry and b sick and now seems scared at mealtimes-but wat she dosent know is im actually more scared than her :(

in result it has begun 2 affect her weight as shes only 17lbs at 14months and dropped a whole centile.

have any other preemie mummies or mummies with fullterm babies had this problem and did u overcome it?

what can i do? please help if u can- any info, tips n advice would be soooo appreciated.

xxxxxxx

:hugs:

I think you might be best giving her puree for a few weeks then try again so she doesnt start refusing all food. Although I cooked food for Holly before moving on to the next stage I would try her first with Ella's kitchen as it would give me an idea of consistency to try. The Ellas kitchen stage 2 are good inbetween as they are textured not lumpy.

How does she handle finger food? Maybe give her a by more of that as she may chew it better as she is expecting it.

Try not to stress as she will get there in her own time. Weight wise as long as she isn't losing weight then try not to worry. Holly is only 16lb 3oz and she is 19 months actual next week!

Good luck xx

Oi! Dippy?!!?!? Where have you been? I have the burning question!

On topic - Yes - a very familiar topic! The only way we got round it was

1) Put baby pasta stars in purees, a tiny bit at a time, and increase over a few weeks - that really helped! Yes she had some weird meals but that was the only way! (Im talking the tiny pasta by heinz in Boots)

2) Just age!

Andrew will be 2 years this month (21m corrected) and I'm afraid to say that we have only reached Stage 2 lumpiness. It was only a couple of months back that he stopped gagging on any lumps, before that he was on really smooth purees. And we haven't progressed further - he spits out larger lumps (Stage 3), refuses to eat all except his favourite flavours, and never finger feeds at all (handheld food just gets dropped on the floor).

Our Paediatricians know about these feeding issues and have referred us to Dietitians, he's been seen by a few. But they have no real suggestions to make other than to keep trying, disparaging as it may seem.

We concentrate more on getting the calories into Andrew, even if that means he's not eating food appropriate to his age. His continued growth is the important factor, his development can come second to that.

^that is true marleysgirl, that's what I lived by when Alex was little. We stayed in the house a lot simply to make sure she kept any milk she could down , in order to gain weight. Without being healthy, you can't expect development to be any better.

Yes she may be behind and yes, her lack of interaction with the world when she was little might have played a part, but being strong enough to learn comes first I think

Switch back to purees with out lumps but give her finger foods at the same time, not to eat but just to play with. Make it bright and attractive by giving her lots of different colours foods at the same time and have lots of textures. It doesnt matter if it just gets mushed into the high chair or thrown on the floor its about her having fun with the food. Eventually she might start putting some to her mouth and when she does give her lots of smiles and lots of praise even if she takes one lick and throws it away. Home made soups are a good way of getting lots of nutrients and calories into babys and they are a lot easier to adjust the texture of too.

This used to drive me nuts. Abby would sit and chew on toast no problem but refuse lumps. We just kept offering it and eventually she ate it, but gave all other food in finger foods.

I started haviing a tiny portion of the meal blended (lumpy) and the rest of it as finger foods, once he learned the grasp he was happy to hold broccoli, potatoes etc. He didn't very often "eat" it, but it started with licks, then a chew and spit, and eventually he started eating it properly. I kept the lumpy food closeby, an went with the flow as to whether he'd accept a spoonful, or whether it was a total no-go. He still much prefers to hold finger foods, and gets stroppy if I spoon feed him much, but he's doing a lot better with it.

hi dippy glad to hear from you, where kinda going through he same stage right now and i was told by the Neonate follow up to blend his food and everyday reduce the actual time i keep the food int he blender so that gradually the food becomes thicker over time. They say that prem's hate lumps and to get them over that hurdle is often very difficult. I;ve been trying that so will see how it goes.

hi all

sooooo sorry i dnt respond straight away but dese kids r drivin me bonkers.

lmao at atomic pink-wellllllll i hav no answer 2 wer iv bin jus bin naughty and honestly cudnt get the time 2 cum on here. after baby my swelling has just gone down and da sleepless nights were leavin me a wreck but on da upside i always came in 2 snoop 4 2 mins.

sb i hope ur babies r ok-abigoma glad 2 hear ur well-i hope all u ladies r well plus babies.

i wanna thank u all 4 ur responses i appreciate them. xxx

im guna call her dietician 2mrw and speak 2 HV 2 c what they say get lots of different opinions but no1 knows best than u ladies.

back on topic- iv tried lumpier food and even now shes just storing it in her mouth and swallows whens its runny.

iv got 2 questions......

1.please tell me this is a passing phase and she'll grow out of it

2. will this delay her speech further as she already doesnt say anything apart from some add screams when the phone rings :wacko: is she ever guna speak.

3. can this be linked 2 autism etc as iv read online that kids that do that with food are more likely 2 develop behavioral issues? i swear i hate google.

4. iv seen kids eating with a spoon themselves but she wont do it-do any of your kids do that.

5. is this linked to teething? i thought teeting can disrupt sleep but doesnt really affect eating and drinking

6. any good ideas on finger food?

its weird coz i should be posting on the weaning and nutrition page but i just feel like im understood here. thanks ladies appreciate the support. xxxx

1.please tell me this is a passing phase and she'll grow out of it

2. will this delay her speech further as she already doesnt say anything apart from some add screams when the phone rings :wacko: is she ever guna speak.

3. can this be linked 2 autism etc as iv read online that kids that do that with food are more likely 2 develop behavioral issues? i swear i hate google.

4. iv seen kids eating with a spoon themselves but she wont do it-do any of your kids do that.

5. is this linked to teething? i thought teeting can disrupt sleep but doesnt really affect eating and drinking

6. any good ideas on finger food?

its weird coz i should be posting on the weaning and nutrition page but i just feel like im understood here. thanks ladies appreciate the support. xxxx

did you get to term Hun? What did you call your new arrival? Congratulations!

1. It will Hun, honestly. It's so common but she won't be eating purees at 18 ;)

2.no idea, but I don't think so? But if you are concerned about speech you can always get help for that, generally if they get to about 18 months then it's thought about. Alex has speech therapy beginning this week.

3. Just stop googling. Ok :jo:

4.Alex only does it recently, preloaded spoon though. She'll soon learn by watching you . Alex grabs the spoon off me and covers the place in food :rofl:

5. Teething can be a reason

6. Start with soft things- toast is great to start with

Xxxx

Step away from the Google search :rofl:

Will it affect speech? I can't answer - Andrew has hearing loss, and that probably affects him more.

Can it be a sign of autism? Possibly, but so can one heck of a lot of other things, that's why Autism is actually "autistic spectrum disorder" - every child differs. I would put it out of your mind for at least another year :D

Spoon feeding - I think we'll get there soon. Andrew is now trying to grab the loaded spoon. He'd probably have got there earlier if we had found something he was happy to eat.

Does teething affect eating? Oh yes, it certainly did for Andrew. He would go off "solids" completely and only accept milk at those times - it became the only way we knew he was cutting another tooth, as he never cried about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->