15 month old tantrums

oneday123

Reaction score
Hi. My ds is 15, almost 16 months old. He is starting to shout and scream if he doesn't get his own way. I know he is still very young so am wondering what is the best way of dealing with this. Distracting him does usually work, but this evening he was having none of it. It happening more and more often and lasts longer each time. Help!! Thank you.

Totally normal. Its s combination of frustration and defiance/self-confidence.

With mine i adopt a firm approach from day 1 as i believe you reap what you sow. My 15mo can have a bit of a temper at times too and i either distract/redirect before it escalates or if i leave it too late i adopt a removal consequence so either his toy is removed (he huts people with toys sometimes) or he is removed and has to sit/play elsewhere. If its while we're out i ignore him until he calms. If he's struggling to calm i will take him somewhere quieter and stand quietly. I'll always, even at this age explain unacceptable behaviours and cuddle when Its all over and move on. Until they're a lot older consequences need to be immediate in order for them to link them to the event. At 15m though its actually more about showing them how to deal with the emotions and nit lashing out for example. Good luck x

Thank you so much for your responses. This is the way we are heading really so you've given me a boost! It doesn't help that he has been poorly recently, so has become used to being held a lot more and having his dummy at times other than just for sleeping. I've been lucky so far with that he hasn't hit out or bitten or anything like that, it's just screaming and lots of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->