16 week blood test

RebaMc

Mum to twins
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my 16 week midwife appt this week and was told that I didn't need a blood test as it was to check for down's and wouldn't be accurate as I'm having twins.

I didn't think much more of it, but now I'm thinking that can't be all it's for. Surely they need to check for all the normal things too, like iron etc?

I'm not very happy with my midwife as she's not great on the reassurance front, seems to take the easy route for everything, and has given me no extra information considering I'm having twins. Grrrrrr!

Did you already have blood tests for iron, etc? I've only had one lot of blood tests, at 12 weeks, when they screened for everything. So far as I know, if it's normal and nothing is of concern, the next lot of tests is about 28 weeks.

Iron is 12 and 28 weeks.

If they had done a test for downs/spina bifida with you carrying twins it would be inaccurate so they don't test as it just creates stress.

There is not much different carrying twins, except you will be more uncomfortable and grow quicker. Plus you will probably go into labour early, but this will all be discussed later on.

I feel the same about my midwife..she didnt really go out of her way 2 reassure me or help me out with expaining everything as im having my first! to tell you the truth i dont really bother asking her much now i jus find out wot i need 2 know on here! crazy i know but its hard enough 2 get an appontment 2 see her and wen i do im rushed in and out!
i had blood tests at 12weeks and then again at 28weeks so im not sure about twins.
i hope some1 can help you out! :hugs:

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear! Can stop my worrying now!!! Yep - had the full works done just before 12 weeks and everything came back fine. I'd have thought that they'd want to check iron levels a bit more regularly though?

I feel the same about my midwife..she didnt really go out of her way 2 reassure me or help me out with expaining everything as im having my first! to tell you the truth i dont really bother asking her much now i jus find out wot i need 2 know on here! crazy i know but its hard enough 2 get an appontment 2 see her and wen i do im rushed in and out!

That's exactly how I feel. Trying to get hold of her is virtually impossible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->