16 weeks m/c - updated

Omg! I asked the same thing at the hosp when I had my D&C because I had BV this whole pregnancy! I was being treated for it but then i moved to another state. Although my baby must have died right after I had got here about a day or two. But it was constant. The Dr told me that she doubts that was the reason because there are no certain studies showing it to actually cause a m/c because the infection usually doesn't get that far for it to get into the uterus to cause a fetal demise, but I read the same thing online. Although I believe it said it can weaken your cervix and cause pre term labor. I don't recall it saying it can cause the baby to die. I still wonder if this caused my mmc. The baby died in me at 14 wks and I carried till 19 weeks.

My swab came back clear so looks like I won't get an answer as I highly doubt the other blood tests they did will reveal anything

I am so sorry to read this :( I lost my baby last year at 16 weeks as well but did not know for 2 weeks. I am still devastated when I sit down and think about it, but it does get easier to cope with over time and we decided to help us heal, to try again after 5 months. This baby will never replace the one we lost but rather helps to refocus our attention. I hope you too find a way to ease some of your grief eventually. My heart is with you.

:hugs: i am so sorry for your loss hun. I, as well, lost a baby at 17 weeks. Angels have her/him now, safe and happy. :)

I am sorry for your loss.

Where I live, it would be considered malpractice for a midwife or doctor to not give you a drug treatment for the bacterial vaginosis.

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a mmc at 19 wks, baby girl died at 14 weeks. I too had BV, the whole pregnancy for that fact but when they did the pathology they ruled out any infection and my dr said that bv doesn't usually tavel up that far. Actually they couldn't give me a reason, she and her chromosomes all appeared normal. They could only tell me she was a lil girl which makes me more sad because I have 2 boys and this was my last pregnancy and only chance of a girl :'(. I really hope you get answers its so hard sitting around not knowing and trying to think of what you did or didn't do that could have prevented it, which is where I'm at now..:hugs:

mdjoy wrote: "The Dr told me that she doubts that was the reason because there are no certain studies showing it to actually cause a m/c because the infection usually doesn't get that far for it to get into the uterus to cause a fetal demise"

Your doctor is like mine. They don't seem to read the latest studies. Lazy , i suppose.

There are studies that show increase in m/c due to BV getting into upper genital tract (uterus). I listed 2 of them (see below).

My story: I was diagnosed with 'heavy growth' Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) at 6.5 weeks.

But the doctor completely ignored it saying she doesn't treat BV till 14 weeks. I was having ongoing serious body aches and chills (to the CORE) which continued over the next 3.5 weeks. Not anything like any previous pregnancy. I never had body chills with any previous pregnancy. But doctor said, OH THAT'S NORMAL (the chills).

Question: Did anyone else with BV have very cold body chills?

Later, I found out the baby stopped growing 2 weeks later at 8.5 weeks (I found out this at my 10 week appt).

She gave me metronizadole 500mg (finally). I felt a million times better almost immediately. Illness, body aches, and the icy cold chills all cleared up quickly.

Now I'm so very sad and upset. I constantly wonder if this loss have been prevented with medication treatment earlier so I wouldn't have lost the baby? Doctor said she guesses i probably lost the baby due to chromosomal reasons. Just her guess. No testing results are back yet. But i will post when i get them. Hopefully i am wrong about my suspicions...

I have read lots of studies indicating that BV IS LINKED TO A HIGHER RISK FOR 1st and 2nd trimester miscarriages.
Why didn't the doctor know of these many, many studies...She told me "the bacteria doesn't get to the uterus, and the baby is very well protected, nothing gets to it."

These studies are telling a different story. They say that BV CAN AND DOES work its way up into the uterus in many cases. The studies explain that the BV moves into the upper genital tract (uterus) causing inflammation, called endomitritis, (it's different from endometriosis) and that in turn causes miscarriage risk because nutrients can't get to the baby.

Here's 2 studies (of many): First study shows 2nd trimester late miscarriages; second study shows 1st trimester miscarriage risk doubles with BV.

Hay PE, Lamont RF, Taylor-Robinson D, et al. Abnormal bacterial colonization of the genital tract and subsequent preterm delivery and late miscarriage. BMJ 1994;308:295–8.
Abstract/FREE Full Text

Ralph SG, Rutherford AJ, Wilson JD. Influence of bacterial vaginosis on conception and miscarriage in the first trimester: cohort study. BMJ 1999;319:220–3.
Abstract/FREE Full Text

So sorry for yours and everyone else's losses too.

I lost my baby at 15 weeks, as soon as I no longer 'felt' pregnant, I feel really sorry for you ladies who carried for so long without knowing. I bled before for a few weeks mildly and then finally gave in to my fear of hospitals where they confirmed my loss. I delivered within 4 hours and went home that day feeling the worst thing I'd ever felt in my life, pure emptiness. I didn't tell my partner about the baby until afterwards (it was my previous partners child, I didn't tell him until a month after). I never found out the gender whilst he was inside, as my scan was due the next week. Until that day, I hadn't even seen my babies face or tiny fingers. He was so tiny, so perfect and so loved. I would be 28 weeks pregnant now. And not a day goes by that I don't think of my son in the sky, playing happily with the other angel babies. Keep strong ladies, as one day,it will happen for us. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->