• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

17 months PP, making a few ounces a day...HELP

susannah14

Reaction score
Hi all-
My daughter is 17 months old and she can be very distracted at the breast. It's not that she doesn't want it (SHE DOES), but she hasn't been consistent enough to keep up my supply, and I've been lazy with pumping. Last week I went on a work trip, and I only pumped at night, and that pretty much was a kiss of death for my milk supply. When I got back, she was very frustrated because no milk was coming out, constantly switching back and forth and whining. After a day and a half, I decided it was time to quit. I was devastated and I cried. I was not ready. That night, I tried to put her to bed without nursing and she FLIPPED OUT. So I put her on, and I could actually hear her swallowing on both sides, which surprised me because I thought I was all dried up!

So I decided I was going to try everything I could to get more milk for her before quitting. I've been "power pumping" 2-3 times a day now (this is my 4th day). I have fenugreek and blessed thistle coming tomorrow.

My question is, has anyone else tried to do this and had any success? I've only been pumping 1.5-2 ounces a day (along with feeding her a few times a day) which is discouraging. I'm prepared to do this for weeks if I have to. I work at home so I can wear my pump all day. I'm not ready to quit and neither is my daughter. Looking for some stories and encouragement I guess.

No similar experience here but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Every time my toddler was sick with a cold or ear infection or tummy ache, she went from nursing twice a day and eating food to nursing 5+ times a day, and my body adjusted to it and then adjusted back when she stopped again.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if it would work being so close to "dried up" and so far post partum. But I wanted to post an update, just in case anyone else is in the same situation.

It's been a week now, and oh my goodness is my milk rebounding!!! I try to pump or feed every 2-3 hours and she was attached to my boob all weekend basically. I have been taking fenugreek and blessed thistle since Friday night. It's now Monday and every morning my breasts have been a bit fuller than the day before. If I have to estimate, I was probably making 3 ounces a day before, and now I'm making 7-9 ounces. I'll probably post another update next week. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlzsmuzaffar
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->