1st app in June?!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Phantom, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Phantom

Phantom Mommy

I just got my first gyn. appointment booked today, it's in June.

Is that normal? Do most pregnant women not see the gyn. until just before they're due?

2. kdea547

kdea547 1 DD, 2 Angels

That's not normal...I would call back and clarify that you are pregnant and need prenatal care. Most women have their first appointment between 8 and 12 weeks.

3. Phantom

Phantom Mommy

I'm so confused I'm literally in tears. I don't know what the hell is going on. :shrug: Why do they have to make this so complicated?!

/end rant

4. Ruth 1980

Ruth 1980 Well-Known Member

Oh thank goodness someone else who's as confused as me!!
    I just got my 1st appointment in the post today- I will be 22 weeks by then!!! Without a scan or hearing a heartbeat I don't really believe I'm pregnant! I can't believe everyone else seems to see the doctors at 8-14 weeks. So upset about this :cry:
    Let me know if your appointment gets changed!

5. magicbubble

magicbubble Well-Known Member

phone them! you need to have your dating scan before 13 weeks so they can offer you a downs syndrome test after which date they need to do a different kind of test if they miss the deadline for that one!

its standard procedure that you should be offered an appointment from 8 weeks on. yours cant be right. tell them to change it x

6. Ruth 1980

Ruth 1980 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much Magic!
    I'm going to ring them in the morning! My husband was so shocked too when we read it. Finger's crossed they'll sort it out!

7. jett

jett Well-Known Member

the latest I have seen first scan appointments posted on here are women in Canada like you, but I have not seen one go past 20 weeks, June's way to late. I would call them.

8. oboeverity

oboeverity Mummy to Ted and Willem

Mistakes can happen. I lost our first pregnancy early on, and then fell pregnant straight away. No one told the MWs, and you can imagine how upsetting it was to have to keep explaining that that baby was gone...!

9. beebee17

beebee17 Well-Known Member

Think it must be a mistake hun or a typo. The norm is 12 weeks, 20 weeks, 28 weeks then every two weeks after.

Phone them. Good Luck. xx

10. BlackBerry25

BlackBerry25 Helena & Elliot <3

With my last pregnancy I saw a regular old doctor, once a month I think it was, until I was 22 weeks and then switched to the care of an OBGYN. I don't have an appointment yet with the ob's clinic, but I am seeing a regular doctor tomorrow. You should be having an initial appointment with someone around now, for your bloodwork (if you havent already) weigh in, a physical, family medical history, and all that. Like my appointment tomorrow is 2 hours long!