1st Appointment Confusion

BethanyNBump

Reaction score
5w3d
I called the doctor to make my first appointment. The first thing I was asked (before name, DOB, etc) was if I wanted to keep it. Is that standard? I just thought it was a little strange.
Now, I have a first appointment next week only to see if I am pregnant or not. I totally am because I kept taking tests the first week and a half and the second line kept getting darker and darker until it surpassed the control line's darkness.

I guess I just need some advice for the first appointment. I always thought the OB didn't bother seeing you until you were about 8 weeks.

Should I seek another OB? :shrug:

Thanks Ladies!

That's a strange first question! It would put me off, but they might just want to give the option to talk about it right away... but weird.
My family doctor saw me early on for my first two pregs, she did a urine preg test, along with pap smear and bloodwork.
It depends if you are comfortable with the OB, if you are not then try to find someone else!

When I was pregnant with my first, the first office I went to seemed to encourage amniocentesis. The woman went on about it and kids with downs. It made me feel uncomfortable, like she was giving a sales pitch. So I switched to another office after that day.

Honestly, I would wait a few more weeks to go to the doctor. It's a waste of money for them to tell you what you already know. They give you information and pamphlets but there are plenty of resources online as well. Besides that, you won't be back for another visit for a month or so. I'm not saying you shouldn't go. If you feel you should then you should. I just know from experience that I won't be going to my first doc visit for my second until at least 8 to 12 weeks. But everyone is different, especially if you're high risk!

I personally wouldn't like them asking me that right off. Good luck and congrats!

Thanks Ladies!
It will work out better if I wait anyhow since my insurance will not kick in until the 1st of June.

Otherwise, I am sure they'd give me the most expensive pregnancy test known to man.

:hugs2:

Thanks Ladies!
It will work out better if I wait anyhow since my insurance will not kick in until the 1st of June.

Otherwise, I am sure they'd give me the most expensive pregnancy test known to man.

:hugs2:

My cousin found out she was pregnant shortly after getting a new job...insurance had a 90 day waiting period...so she had to wait to see a doctor until she was in her second trimester because if she had gone before insurance kicked in they would have put it under "pre-existing" and not covered anything. This was years ago so things might have changed but you might want to check with your insurance or just wait until after June 1st anyway. I, on the other hand, have had two early losses so I insisted they see me immediately after I found out...first appointment was 4weeks and 4 days. So it's all a personal preference.

As for the comment about abortion...I would have been extremely put off and probably offended that that would be the first question out of their mouth and would more than likely be choosing a new ob. But that's just me.

when I went in for my hcg tests they asked me, was this a planned pregnancy? Do I plan on keeping it?

Although technically it wasnt planned, I was still shocked that they asked.

My doctor never once asked if I planned on keeping it or not. I guess it was just assumed that since I was there, that I was keeping it.

My first appointment was with the nurse in my OB's office and they let me come in at their first available appointment. I'd say I was almost 5 weeks. Just a urine test and a bunch of questions and info.

My second appointment was at 7 weeks with my OB- an ultrasound, PAP, and bloodwork.

Well, if someone doesn't plan to continue the pregnancy, there can be an element of urgency, both emotionally and medically, so it makes sense to me that before scheduling the appointment they would want to know if this appointment needs to be scheduled ASAP, or if it can be scheduled a few weeks out.

Maybe they are an ob that performs terminations. But I wouldn't think its standard practice to ask everyone if they are going to "keep it".That's just strange. My first appt was with the nurse at my ob. She went over family history and drew bloods. Then my next appt was with my mw. She went over my bloods, did a pap, and tried to listen for HB with Doppler. Couldn't hear anything yet, she said it was too early at 9 weeks. She asked if I had any concerns and addressed them. Hopefully the next appt there will be an ultrasound.

thts wht i got asked at every preg on 3rd 10+1 had booking at 5weeks thought was 7 had scan tht dated me 10+1 instead 12wks. Its not nice question but they need see if your terminating or not tended be my doc askin. Last 2 pregs docs had cpmfirm wereas first i said had alot pos home ones an made me mw apoint then.

Maybe they are an ob that performs terminations. But I wouldn't think its standard practice to ask everyone if they are going to "keep it".That's just strange. My first appt was with the nurse at my ob. She went over family history and drew bloods. Then my next appt was with my mw. She went over my bloods, did a pap, and tried to listen for HB with Doppler. Couldn't hear anything yet, she said it was too early at 9 weeks. She asked if I had any concerns and addressed them. Hopefully the next appt there will be an ultrasound.

This. I'm assuming that this OB actually deals with terminations as well, so maybe they have to ask this on the phone, that way they can plan accordingly. :shrug:

I had to go and get blood drawn to confirm my pregnancy, but it's more for insurance reasons than any other, I think.

My first appointment was what my doctor's office calls a Nurse's appointment. We just went over the reading material they give each new mom to be, went over family history, put in prescriptions to my pharmacy of choice, also to make sure I have my first scan scheduled as well as all my blood work.

This. I'm assuming that this OB actually deals with terminations as well, so maybe they have to ask this on the phone, that way they can plan accordingly. :shrug:

I had to go and get blood drawn to confirm my pregnancy, but it's more for insurance reasons than any other, I think.

My first appointment was what my doctor's office calls a Nurse's appointment. We just went over the reading material they give each new mom to be, went over family history, put in prescriptions to my pharmacy of choice, also to make sure I have my first scan scheduled as well as all my blood work.

So you got a scan at your next appointment? Was that when they did it? I keep wondering when they will do my first scan at my doctors office. I've had one through the e.r. and my doctors office got the reports too they said everything was great. I'm just impatient. I couldn't stop looking at your November sparklers widget , its so pretty, i love fall.

So you got a scan at your next appointment? Was that when they did it? I keep wondering when they will do my first scan at my doctors office. I've had one through the e.r. and my doctors office got the reports too they said everything was great. I'm just impatient. I couldn't stop looking at your November sparklers widget , its so pretty, i love fall.

Yes it was next week. I had my nurse's appointment at 8w1d, and the u/s at 9w1d. Part of me wishes they hadn't done the scan only because of the cost is was for me out of pocket. Insurance didn't pay any of it as it was less than 14 weeks. My insurance only says they are 80% coinsurance for prenatal and maternity, doesn't say what is or isn't covered. The scan was mostly to check my uterus, my ovaries, fallopian tubes, etc, as well as finding baby, and making sure it was a viable pregnancy and how far along I was. I liked it because it eased my mind but finances wise, not worth it. I would have been fine waiting until around 20 weeks.

I actually think the question makes sense. Here in Canada we can only abort in the first trimester, unless medically necessary. My doctor only did urine tests to confirm my pregnancy and the first one came back negative, the second came back positive. Them asking could simply determine whether they do a blood or urine test, urine tests are unreliable, blood tests are the most accurate and can detect pregnancy much sooner.

That is for sure a strange question. I have had the "pleasure" of calling a lot of OBGYN over the past week or so and not one of them ever asked something like that. Sorry you had to deal with that. If that were me and I had the option to, I would have found a new doctor. Then again I am also really sensitive lol.

So I ended up going in and got my height, weight, BP done. Then I peed in a cup and they told me I was pregnant. Then they handed me pamphlets, and I left.

The next appointment will be the full-on physical. Then the appointment after that will hopefully be a scan. I wish they could clump these appointments together. But they seem to like to see patients every other week for nine months. Seems excessive for not being a high risk.

My real insurance doesn't kick in until I am 11w4d. Should I wait until then so I can go to a different doctor? I am kind of thinking I want to, but I don't know if I would be waiting too long.

It seems to me they may offer the alternative (the "a" word) and might need to know if you want that then they'll get you in sooner. I think you definitely should go see the doc as soon as you can, just to get the ball rolling. In this pregnancy, it seems like, I wasn't really pregnant unless the doc said so. Which was kind of annoying. I sent my sis a pic of my four dark positive tests all lined up, and then she still said, "well, if your really pregnant...". Good luck either way! I hope you have a happy and healthy 8 more months!!

Edit: I just read your last post. I think you should still see this doc. I live in the US and the city I live in doesn't have too many OB's, just 2 or 3 groups. I had to wait 3 weeks to see the doc I chose, and then I was 9 minutes late for my first appt because I had to take my kids to school, they go to different schools, and then there was traffic and so on, so they had to reschedule me. I called the only other couple of docs and I would have had to wait even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->