1st pregnancy. Worried about EVERYTHING and soo many questions

LJ88

Reaction score
Hi all! Me again (Laura)

Is anybody else pregnant with their 1st baby?
And Is anybody els going through this in the UK? Could do with a panic buddy lol

I posted a few days ago that I got my bpf but didn't get it until 24dpo. Before this I had gone to docs who was testing me for STD's and PID! :-/ lol (I've been getting pain in my ovaries-mostly one sided).

I called my doctors yesterday who told me they 'don't deal with pregnancies any more' and I had to call and leave a message on a maternity number. Somebody is going to call me back in 3-5 days!! :(

I don't like all this waiting!... I'm worried about a few things and would like to talk to somebody (so hoping a few of you lovely ladies who had already had children can help?)

I've already posted expressing my worries about my pains and have been largely reassured but really would like a scan so I can relax that it's not eptopic. It's largely one sided but I do get it in the other side sometimes and pain has got less as weeks have progressed. Does this sound ok?

Also I did not know I was expecting when going for a swab test for STD's... Could this have harmed my baby at all?

I also LOVE hot baths and have had very got baths daily as I didn't know I was pregnant. I now know that I shouldn't and why I shouldn't.. Have stopped now but do I have a reason to be worried? :(

I also drank alcohol before I knew (which really frustrates me as I never drink! But had relatives down and birthdays etc this month). Again should I be worrying?

Absolutely everything I read tells me something i did is going to cause defects in my baby :( lol

On another note... When do I start anti stretch mark creams? I'm 5w 5d pregnant at the moment

If anybody can help me in the slightest I would be very very grateful!

Yours sincerely from

Worrier by nature (lol)
X

I'm pregnant with our first baby too! Not in the UK though, my apologies.

But, STD testing (pap smears) are very important to have done in the first trimester.

Your lucky you got that all done. My doctor won't see me until I'm atleast 12 weeks along! NO SOONER.

GOOGLE says cramps, are normal. You should google first trimester symptoms, etc. It'll really help put your nervs to rest.

I'm 7, weeks along and get cramps and twitching feelings all the time. From week 4-6 my vaginal/cervix really hurt! Like I should start my period.

I hope this helps some.:)

Oh and before I knew, I drank some alcohol too(was on vacation) and also kept taking HOT baths until 2 weeks ago.

Bless your heart! Everyone worries, so you are not alone! Before I knew I was preg with my little boy, I got drunk ( and I mean really drunk!) one weekend and then had a few drinks the following weekend too. I also had pate, goats cheese and steaming hot bath, jacuzzi and steam room! Doh ! I think as long as you don't make a habit of these things, there is really no reason to worry. You will find a lot of mummies on here will say the same. Lots of people do this before they know they are expecting and have perfectly healthy beautiful babies ( like mine ;) ) it's absolutely normal to worry and over think everything.

Sounds to me like you are going to be a wonderful mummy :) x

Bless your heart! Everyone worries, so you are not alone! Before I knew I was preg with my little boy, I got drunk ( and I mean really drunk!) one weekend and then had a few drinks the following weekend too. I also had pate, goats cheese and steaming hot bath, jacuzzi and steam room! Doh ! x

Lol your post made me laugh (the bit about getting really drunk) haha
Thank you :) (both) i know that worrying wont help and I really need to chill out but it's really difficult!?
I also keep reading how damaging stress can be and then feel guilty but I really am just a stressy person. One site told me my stress is going to make my baby stupid :-/ lol poor little sod doesn't stand a chance with all this drinking and hot bathing too!

I'm not sure where the evidence is that days stress makes stupid babies! But that did make me chuckle ! ;) I think stress needs to be like extreme, prolonged stress to have any affect at all. Everyone stresses when they are pregnant , it's s very stressful (and wonderful ;) ) time .

I think you have to make time for yourself, try breathing exercises or yoga maybe ? Have a (warm) bath and read your favourite trashy crap magazine . You feel stress because you love and care for that little baby, and it will be worth it, but baby needs you to relax sometimes :) xx

Also I did not know I was expecting when going for a swab test for STD's... Could this have harmed my baby at all?

I also LOVE hot baths and have had very got baths daily as I didn't know I was pregnant. I now know that I shouldn't and why I shouldn't.. Have stopped now but do I have a reason to be worried? :(

I also drank alcohol before I knew (which really frustrates me as I never drink! But had relatives down and birthdays etc this month). Again should I be worrying?

Absolutely everything I read tells me something i did is going to cause defects in my baby :( lol

On another note... When do I start anti stretch mark creams? I'm 5w 5d pregnant at the moment

If anybody can help me in the slightest I would be very very grateful!

Yours sincerely from

Worrier by nature (lol)
X

Hi , this is also my first but I think I can answer your question to the best of my ability

Swabbing for STD's/STI's are one of the things your doctor may do when you. Go in for your first appointment. It won't hurt baby but having an STD while pregnant can

Hot baths are said to not be ok but that's if you do it daily for long periods of time which can raise body temp and harm baby. Since you're so early in your pregnancy you didn't have time to actually harm baby

Alcohol is bad in large quantities

Start anti stretch marks remedies today! Twice a day until the end. Don't wait till you have stretch marks. Try pure coco or shea butter or coconut oil mixed with vitamin e oil. Drink lots of water

I am pregnant too with my first hun and it is so worrying isn't it before having a scan. I am also in the UK. You try and turn your brain off to just try and enjoy it but it's so hard not too. Have you had your appointment yet through for your midwife booking? You don't actually have to see your GP at all, the receptionists at your surgery should give you the telephone number to make your midwife appointment. She should then give you her contact number incase of any worries or questions.

I wouldn't worry about things that have already happened as they can't be undone and your little one is very protected in there :) If there has been any bleeding accompanying the cramps or they are so severe you can't bear to stand then I would take yourself up to your local Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit. They will see all early pregnant women up until 24 weeks. Give them a call though first so they are expecting you and they can advise you over the phone. Otherwise the cramps (I am learning) are very very common. Mine sometimes feel like I am about to come on my period or just achy annoying ones! They come and go but since hitting 10 weeks they have come back again grrrr.

If you are desperate for a reassurance scan, you can normally get them privately as the NHS just don't do them until your dating scan. I was so tempted when I found out at about 7 weeks but hubby didn't really want to as it won't change any outcome or probably reassure me as then I'd still have to wait for the dating scan...he did have a point haha so I didn't in the end. I was a wreck going in for the dating scan though, I was convinced they were going to tell me I wasn't pregnant even though I've done a million tests :p

The very very hot baths, they don't recommend as it isn't a good idea to get your temperature up. However if it's not scalding you should be absolutely fine. Just keep an eye on it and have it as cool as you can be comfortable in. When you're really far gone, it can increase the babies heartbeat which is why it isn't recommended then!

Also, DO NOT GOOGLE lol! You will always find the worst possible outcome and answer for everything you search :p

xxx

I know it's hard but if you are inclined to stress, STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE. The information is not always accurate and I rarely see any feeling better because of frantic Googling.

Everything you've said sounds like a pretty common thing to happen in early pregnancy. Your baby is most likely totally fine. In six months you will look back and realise how much your baby has grown and developed and realise, "Wow, they were just a tiny full stop back at that stage, of course it was fine."

Thank you all! VERY Reasuring. Shopalic... I would rather have seen my gp I think as now I'm just waiting for a call back from a midwife with nobody to talk to in the meantime lol and I agree with u all I think google is killing me! Lol

When do I get a 'dating scan'? How do I book 1?

You're welcome :) If you have any serious concerns hun and can't speak to a midwife or GP, ring the maternity hospital you would like to give birth at and ask to be put through to the 'EPAU' or 'Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit'. They will run a phone triage system and will be able to advise you there and then with or without the need to come in to them.

Your dating scan is the first 'routine' scan you will be offered through the NHS. It is normally around 12 weeks so when you book in to see your midwife she will sort out how to go about getting an appoinment. Mine got mine for me whilst I was there but different trusts work differently x

Hi lovely, don't worry about the STD check, they're very important and I had mine done during my pregnancy, I also enjoyed hot baths I just limited how hot I'd make it! I made mistakes by googling and it just stressed me out even more, enjoy being pregnant. I worried way to much as it was my first and was going through a hard time which put me under a lot of unneeded stress, I recently found out I've had a missed miscarriage so now i'm regretting getting so worked up about everything and wish I just enjoyed being pregnant, You've got a baby on the way and I'm sure you'll have a perfectly healthy pregnancy and a beautiful baby boy/girl soon!x

Hello :wave:

I am a first time mum in the UK and also a major worrier! I had most of the worries you had, and everything is fine so far :happydance:

I agree with the people they say to not google, I have been goggling my head off & coming to all sorts of conclusions & then when I had my booking appointment at 10 weeks with the midwife & took my list of questions she laughed at me :(

I had read that licorice makes your baby have a low IQ & behaviour problems, I read that you couldn't eat aniseed sweets, everything I was eating I was googling at the start lol!

I have calmed down a lot now though, whatever will be will be! & like my gran said in there day there was no advice, no scans & plenty on people had healthy babies.

I am just going on what the midwife told me to avoid now, it comes in as little booklet that you get in your first bounty pack of what you can and can't eat & things.

I'm sure after your first scan like me you will calm down a lot & feel more at ease with it all, the first 12 weeks are really really hard I found.... Hang in there :hugs:

Thank you all so very much :) I'm trying to convince my oh to let me book a private scan but he won't let me lol :(

Waffle how far gone are u? X

Your far from alone on this one! I don't live in the UK but I'm a first time mom though this is my second pregnancy. My first ended at 6.5 weeks so I am super paranoid this time around. I'm worried about everything!

Your far from alone on this one! I don't live in the UK but I'm a first time mom though this is my second pregnancy. My first ended at 6.5 weeks so I am super paranoid this time around. I'm worried about everything!

Sorry to hear about your last pregnancy :( hoping this one completes for you! How far gone are you now?

I've been craving fish cakes all day but am scared to eat them as I don't know what fish is in them :( lol 'diced fish' should not be allowed as an ingredient lol

With my first, before I knew I was pregnant I had jus been to the dentist and had X-rays, cleaned my oven with oven cleaner and had a hot steamy bath, seems you shouldn't do any of those things lol. It did not harm baby, if anything he is as bright as a button. I also suffered severe hyperemesis which could result in him being mal nutritioned but he came out a whopping 9lb1oz it was me who suffered not him, they even say now that one drink in moderation won't harm baby apparently. So much new research is coming out all the time. Now you shouldn't eat hummus I did with both my others because it wasn't known then, I think just be aware, what's happened already can't be helped but baby was a ball of cells up until 4 weeks and many people don't realise they are pregnant till then, imagine half the stuff people get up to out there and still go on to having a healthy baby. Good luck!

Hello everyone!
It's reassuring to read that I'm not the only one who's worrying about my baby developing healthily. I'm 8+2 and I found out as soon as I missed my period so it's been a long slog and another 4 weeks until my first scan! I can't wait! A friend had a miscarriage and then carried a baby full term who didn't survive due to a heart problem. I think this has affected me and I have been terrified. Rationally, I know there is nothing I can do and if baby is healthy then they will survive, but it can be difficult to stay rational all the time. I had to tell everyone at work because there are manual handling and infection risks and we've told our immediate families but I've worried that we've tempted fate by telling too many people. I know that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, it's reassuring to know that other people feel the same and here's hoping that we'll all be celebrating healthy babies in the year to come.

I feel the same about telling people but think I may have to tell work soon as I keep getting ill. Don't want them thinking I'm just skiving lol

I don't think the Internet helps much... It's made me worried about everything! Even coming on here and reading what's happened to others makes me scared!

I booked a scan Saturday and just want it done! So worried something will come back wrong! Can't enjoy being pregnant until then.

We've not even told family yet (only my mum). Was planning on telling close family on Saturday providing everything comes back normal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->