2 babies, different generation, same first name?

steph1222

Reaction score
So here's the situation. My DH and I married 6 years ago. We have been TTC for the last 3-4 years. We always said that when we had a baby (if it was a boy) we would name him Liam. We didn't really tell anyone because we were struggling TTC so why bring it up! 2-3 year's ago DH's aunt and uncle who are young (40yrs old) had a baby. They named their son Liam James. When we found out, we said jokingly "You guys stole our name!" Liam is my DH's cousin, but he's similar ages to DH's nieces and nephews, and since the extended family is close, the cousins and nieces/nephews all spend time together.

We are finally pregnant! We still want to name our baby Liam, if it's a boy! We like the name Liam Xavier. Do you think it's something to worry about to use the name, if Liam and Liam will be hanging out a few times a year? I think that since he is DH's cousin, and not a niece or nephew, it would be ok to use the name. What do you guys think?

My SIL and her cousin named their babies the same thing a few years apart.. TBH I found it a bit odd. At family parties there are two girls with the same name but the older one seems to like sharing her name. If you really love the name I'd say just use it.

I don't think I would use the same name.

my son has two cousins born 6 months apart both called harry, lucky there not a close section of family but its weird, but with close family it might be awkward

maybe pick a longer version of the name like:

William
Eliam
Emiliam
Gilliam
Kyliam

or you could maybe double barrel to differentiate, rough examples:

Liam-Joe
Liam-Fox
Liam-James

Mark-Liam
John-Liam
Al-Liam

My cousin said if she ever has a girl she will name her Sophia. Doesnt bother me, it means she loves my daughters name :) Though we only see her maybe once a year. I say go for it!

If Liam were a very obscure name, then it might seem unusual to choose it if there's already one in the family. However since its quite well known, I think its accepted that a lot of people love the name :) Plus, you had already made it apparent to the couple that you were considering that name too.
So I say you should should choose it anyway if thats what you love, Liam Xavier sounds great!

I would use it. Both me and DH come from large families and there are quite a few of both cousins with the same names as other cousins on both sides (including my name and dh name).

My cousin asked me if she could use one of my sons names if she had a boy and I can honestly say I didn't mind.

I would let the cousin know before you let the rest of the family know, just to be sensitive in case they need te to get over it. Communication solves everything!!

I'd still use it. It's a well known name and not out of the ordinary so it's not like you copied their originality. You had chosen the name before they even knew so I wouldn't worry. If it doesn't bother you, then I think you should go for it. x

I don't think it's a problem personally.

I'm called Natalie, and I have an older cousin (bout...hmm...maybe 7 or 8 years older) called Nathalie.

Nobody minds at all.

So here's the situation. My DH and I married 6 years ago. We have been TTC for the last 3-4 years. We always said that when we had a baby (if it was a boy) we would name him Liam. We didn't really tell anyone because we were struggling TTC so why bring it up! 2-3 year's ago DH's aunt and uncle who are young (40yrs old) had a baby. They named their son Liam James. When we found out, we said jokingly "You guys stole our name!" Liam is my DH's cousin, but he's similar ages to DH's nieces and nephews, and since the extended family is close, the cousins and nieces/nephews all spend time together.

We are finally pregnant! We still want to name our baby Liam, if it's a boy! We like the name Liam Xavier. Do you think it's something to worry about to use the name, if Liam and Liam will be hanging out a few times a year? I think that since he is DH's cousin, and not a niece or nephew, it would be ok to use the name. What do you guys think?

I think you should use it if that's what you like and it seems you've been set on it for a while :) besides my lovely OH is a Liam lol I'm not bias I swear x

Thanks everyone! It turns out we have a friend with a newborn named Liam now, ironically, so now we definitely not be using it :( I'm kind of sad about it, but I'm thinking about Xavier as a first name instead of middle name now. What middle names go with Xavier? Preferably something Irish.

try here:

https://www.sheknows.com/baby-names/irish-baby-names/browse/l

I personally wouldnt use the name but just thats just me I wouldnt want another in the family with the same name but i dont see anything wrong with using it if you love it go for it !! Dh's cousin just named her little boy AJ and DH's nephew is named AJ but his nephew is 22 and the cousin just turned 1

Oops sorry didnt see your update ... that sucks someone else has used it too now :( Xavier is a beautiful name! I was going to suggest Robert ... but I think thats because of the cabbage patch kids :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->