#2 rhesus negative

stripeycat5

Reaction score
Hi ladies just wondering what happens the 2nd time round if you are rhesus negative?I had anti-d in my first pregnancy and everything went fine until the birth (meconium in the waters, failure to progress after epidural, forceps delivery then lo had congenital pneumonia and was in special care for a few days). I don't think the birth complications had anything to do with my blood group but I don't know. If there anything different in this pregnancy that will be done because it is my 2nd time round?tia 😊

I am RH negative and didn't have any complications (except needing a c-section because she was too big to deliver naturally). All I remember is I had to get that shot during my pregnancy and then one right after delivery.

Your birth complications had nothing to do with being Rh-neg.

The only time being Rh-neg is a problem is if your body becomes sensitized to positive blood groups, which only happens if you have a Rhesus positive baby and the placental blood gets into your bloodstream - which can happen naturally during labour and delivery. Did they test your baby's blood group right away? Cos you're supposed to get another anti-d shot within 48 hours of birth if your baby was rhesus +.

If you had anti-d during your first pregnancy that will have prevented sensitization, which will therefore protect your next baby. If you do get pregnant again, then you will need more anti-d to prevent you becoming sensitized from THIS baby to protect your third baby! Etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->