• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

20 wk scan showed a few concerns :( - please read

EllaBellaElla

Reaction score
Hiii!!
Total Newbie to babyandbump but signed up as they have a forum for complications... perfect. I guess I should start from the beginning.

At 10 weeks I had a bleed. It was bright red and I would sit on the toilet and it would pour out of me. I went to the hospital, doctor couldnt reach my cervix but bloods came back fine. The next day I had a scan and baby was fine. They blamed the bleed on implantation :/

At 14 weeks I had another bleed. It was bright red again and went on for 5 days. I went to my GP who said I was having a miscarriage and to go home and rest, she said she would book me in at the EPU for a scan to check all had cleared. I had my scan and baby was fine. They said I had a hormonal bleed.

At 16 weeks I had another bleed and I have been bleeding ever since. I am now 21 weeks and it's been none stop. Sometimes its red, sometimes its brown. I have been admitted to hospital because it has been so heavy but they havent really done anything except monitor baby's heartbeat and my blood pressure. Bleeding stopped for a day and they sent me home.

At my 20 week scan the sonographer was not very forthcoming on information. I asked if I had a low placenta - she said no. I asked where my bleed was coming from, she said she had no idea. After she had done measurements she then said she had to refer me to the foetal doctors and lead me to a room to be spoken to by a midwife. When the midwife came, she said that my baby is measuring small, has a small head. Short fumar bones, has an echogenic dilated bowel. I also have a low lying placenta which is covering my cervix, the bleed is just under the placenta, above the cervix. I have a blood clot on my placenta and a third of it isnt working....

On the plus side her heart and brain are fine so there's no brain damage unless my placenta completely packs up and she's starved of oxygen :shrug:

I'm ridiculously worried, ridiculously paranoid, and peed off that the only available appointment they had was a week away and sent me on my way to drive myself crazy with my own thoughts. Im worried that my placenta is just going to stop working, my blood will get in her sac and she will choke on it.. Or I have to deliver early and because Im under the 26 weeks or whatever it is she will die... or the blood clot will pop and kill her. There is so much going round in my head and I dont know what to do. My midwife is apalling. I have only seen her once and when I call her she tells me to book an appointment with my GP or go to the hospital :growlmad:

The baby's dad is ridiculously selfish and if it isnt about him then he's not interested. When I was admitted to hospital the docs assumed bleeding was coming from the placenta and said that if i keep bleeding and losing lots then they will have to terminate pregnancy to save my life :cry: I text him (didnt have enough battery to call) and he ignored me all weekend. When I asked him about it he said it wasnt convenient for him to text me back:growlmad: I have my mom but she's been looking after my 2 boys while I am in and out of hospital and friends dont really understand. They ask how I am and obviously I am going to tell them I am okay... I'm not gonna burden them with all my paranoia and crap...

Sorry for the rant, and the really long message - Has anyone been in my position or gone through at least one of the things I am going through???

Thanks in advance. x

Hugs Hun. I'm going through something similar. Read my threads xx

Really sorry you're going through this. I haven't personally been through this myself but I honestly think you need to file a formal complaint about your hospital and midwife.

Honestly I know if I had the issues you are having at my hospiral they would be booking me in with consultants immediately, constant midwife appointments and loads of extra scans. The level of care you are having isn't normal or typical.

I can't really offer any advice other than push for further detailed scans and testing, book in for an extra MW appointment with a different midwife (you can request this and as many appointments as you like) and discuss any issues you have and see if they can offer any advice or words of comfort.

My fingers are crossed for you xx

I haven't been through that, but at 20 weeks they did tell me that my child had a velamentous cord insertion which scared the ish out of me and made me worry. So I can relate to being terrified, even though a lot of my fear was really misplaced overreaction.

I know things are different in the UK with regards to availability of services, etc. But can you see a perinatologist/MFM doctor instead of your midwife? It really doesn't seem that this is the kind of thing that a midwife is equipped to deal with.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Since my last post I have seen my consultant in the foetal meds department and he has classed us as 'very high risk from all different angles'. According to my notes he has wrote - Duodenal Atresia likely developing, hyperechogenic bowel severe, high resistance in the uterine arteries, large haematoma and short bones (femur & humerus).

For those that dont know what any of that means (because I didnt)
- Duodenal astresia is the bit above the bowel. It should be a tube so when baby swallows it goes to her bowel, except its just a bubble so when she swallows instead of being digested it just collects there - intern causing a blockage. He said she will need to be operated on in the first few days she is born and will be fed through a tube for the first few weeks until she can handle feeding by herself.
- Hyperechogenic bowel is when the bowel is white.. her's is as bright as her bones but because I have been bleeding he said it is likely she has just swallowed some of my blood and this is why it's so bright as I have been bleeding since 10 weeks.
- High resistance in uterine arteries - He explained that my blood is pumping too fast through the placenta. Instead of being normal flow so she grows normally, it's faster so she grows slow - I think thats what it means.
- Large haematoma - I have a bloodclot next to the sac of baby the size of cadbury's cream egg he described it. Bled from the placental edge and gives a significant risk to preterm birth.
- Short femur and humerus bones - He said even if she grew into herself, these bones would still be shorter than normal. He didnt really go into much detail about it because he was so concerned about my bloodclot but i googled (like an idiot) and it says about brittle bone and CF.

In the end he said all of these risks point to Downs Syndrome and I need to visit him again when I am 24 weeks for another scan and I think he wanted me to talk with the baby doctors from neonatal as from 24weeks it is classed as viable pregnancy but anything before that is classed as a miscarriage.

I was in hospital yesterday as I was losing lots of blood and gunky fleshy stuff that looked like liver. I barely slept the night before as everytime I went the toilet, more came out. Anyway, I saw my consultant and he said it was totally normal and he is happy that its starting to come away. I am still bleeding but not so much and not had anymore clots so hopefully the clots all gone and im just bleeding away whatever is left.

Fingers crossed.

I have no experience with this but I wanted to send you hugs and let you know I'm thinking of you and your sweet baby.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Since my last post I have seen my consultant in the foetal meds department and he has classed us as 'very high risk from all different angles'. According to my notes he has wrote - Duodenal Atresia likely developing, hyperechogenic bowel severe, high resistance in the uterine arteries, large haematoma and short bones (femur & humerus).

For those that dont know what any of that means (because I didnt)
- Duodenal astresia is the bit above the bowel. It should be a tube so when baby swallows it goes to her bowel, except its just a bubble so when she swallows instead of being digested it just collects there - intern causing a blockage. He said she will need to be operated on in the first few days she is born and will be fed through a tube for the first few weeks until she can handle feeding by herself.
- Hyperechogenic bowel is when the bowel is white.. her's is as bright as her bones but because I have been bleeding he said it is likely she has just swallowed some of my blood and this is why it's so bright as I have been bleeding since 10 weeks.
- High resistance in uterine arteries - He explained that my blood is pumping too fast through the placenta. Instead of being normal flow so she grows normally, it's faster so she grows slow - I think thats what it means.
- Large haematoma - I have a bloodclot next to the sac of baby the size of cadbury's cream egg he described it. Bled from the placental edge and gives a significant risk to preterm birth.
- Short femur and humerus bones - He said even if she grew into herself, these bones would still be shorter than normal. He didnt really go into much detail about it because he was so concerned about my bloodclot but i googled (like an idiot) and it says about brittle bone and CF.

In the end he said all of these risks point to Downs Syndrome and I need to visit him again when I am 24 weeks for another scan and I think he wanted me to talk with the baby doctors from neonatal as from 24weeks it is classed as viable pregnancy but anything before that is classed as a miscarriage.

I was in hospital yesterday as I was losing lots of blood and gunky fleshy stuff that looked like liver. I barely slept the night before as everytime I went the toilet, more came out. Anyway, I saw my consultant and he said it was totally normal and he is happy that its starting to come away. I am still bleeding but not so much and not had anymore clots so hopefully the clots all gone and im just bleeding away whatever is left.

Fingers crossed.

It sounds like you have been through an awful lot. :hugs:

I hope that you feel like you got some answers with fetal medicine?

Have they offered you an amnio to check for Down syndrome?

X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->